Thread: HELP computer will not boot - blackscreen =(

IceFX

HELP computer will not boot - blackscreen =(

My computer will not boot up. When I power up the computer, all I get is a black screen with a message that says NO SIGNAL. I don't hear any beeps. I can see lights a red, green and yellow from my cd-burner, but they don't flash, just stay solid. I've repeatedly turn off the computer and still no help. I can't reset the computer or use the power on/off button. I have to turn off the computer by pressing the power button on the surge power bar. I've had this problem once before. Maybe cuz I always leave my computer on and that I've had for 3 years now? What is wrong with my computer? Please help

Is the monitor correctly connected to the computer?
    Do you hear a hard drive churning away as if it was loading data?

IceFX
    yes the monitor is correctly set up and the hard drive is not churning =((

Do you see a bios? If the hard drive is not churning away then the O.S is not loading.

And if you do not see a bios then for all I know a virus deleted your Cmos (Mobo data)

Try different monitors, hard drives.

*Come on guyz help*

Does the light on you case show the computer is on?
    You are getting power to your CD, so why don't you fool around with the connections from your power supply, maybe try your cd on a different one...

Folding Thunder
    My guess is the cmos battery went dead

They only last what, 3 to 5 years?

SG Enthusiast
    Sounds like you aren't getting enough power the board, not to video card (NO SIGNAL). If it were a bad video card or memory, you should get a beeping sound, but the computer isn't even posting, could be a bad power supply or the BIOS is gone.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the CMOS memory just keep the date/time and setup parameters for starting the system? So if it were gone, the system just go to the BIOS defaults????? If you pull the battery out, you lose all the BIOS settings (HDD setups, time, etc..).

Now, if the BIOS were gone, that would render the system useless, as it is now.

If you had another power supply that matched your setup, you could check that with a minimum of trouble.

Folding Thunder
    True. Try and get another psu ,install it and see. If the "new" psu does'nt fire the rig up, your cmos battery is dead.

I had the same thing happen to me after changing my ram timing to cas 2 in the BIOS. No beeps and no post, just a blank screen. I used the CMOS reset jumper to clear my CMOS to defaults. Booted up fine after that. You have nothing to lose by trying it. It has been my experience that when the CMOS battery dies the PC will still boot but you get a checksum error. It probably wouldn't hurt to take it out and check it. Maybe it has gone bad and shorted out. You can boot up without the CMOS battery. You will have to enter the time and date and some settings and they will stay until the next time you power down.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

SG Enthusiast
    Dang, thats funny, I had the EXACT same thing happen to me when I tried to set my memory to CAS 2, using an ASUS AV7133 board. Bad thing is, that board has no CMOS reset jumper, just two solder points to short out to reset it.

Snuf, Your right the board has no jumper! Asus is famous for clearing cmos with two solder points on the board(pain in the a$$ to clear) you have to jump the solder points.

Anyways, clear cmos and strip down to bare minimum. Sounds lile a PSU to me.

Venge This!
    Good thing i get some experience fixing other peoples systems, i had a computer that did that once, the monitor says " No Signal Cable" or something like that, and the system will halt. well i started in replacing the videocard which worked. I suggest you should put a different card in to see if thats the problem.
    Rob

I haven't heard him verify that the mainboard or even the hdd is getting juice. From what I have read, it seems that only the CD is getting juice for sure, and not sure if it is even enough to run it...
    If the mobo isn't getting juice, the monitor has no signal to recieve... The hdd not spinning, and him having to turn it off with at the powerstrip sure does sound like a psu...

how can I clear the cmos?

Quote Originally Posted by lordjpo
    how can I clear the cmos?
    lordjpo, you should really start a new thread for yourself and describe your problem.

To clear your CMOS, you most likely have a jumper on your motherboard, usually near your battery and labeled JP1.

Angry

My issue is similar to the issues described below. However, my computer will turn on. And that, my friend, is where my issues begin. As soon as I turn it on, the screen popes up that shows Gateway and then the processor logo. (All of the machines havese these screenes right?) And that is as far as I get. I have a Gateway 838GM. Could this mean that the battery is dead too?

Test Your Speed Here

Previously known as beaker1.

Quote Originally Posted by raceman94 View Post
    My issue is similar to the issues described below. However, my computer will turn on. And that, my friend, is where my issues begin. As soon as I turn it on, the screen popes up that shows Gateway and then the processor logo. (All of the machines havese these screenes right?) And that is as far as I get. I have a Gateway 838GM. Could this mean that the battery is dead too?
    start a new thread, please

Quote Originally Posted by raceman94 View Post
    There is no issue below, and if your having trouble 5 year old threads arent the best place to start

Clean out your case of dust, in the cpu heatsink area mostly. Run memtest86+(google it) from a floppy or burn an image to CD.

Or try memtest for windows:

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html

Wow.. this thread is 5 years old.. LMAO
    <sarcastic>um... yeah</sarcastic>

Wanna get pwned?

Quote Originally Posted by raromoney View Post
    Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

EvilAjax unbanned, reinforces stereotypes with gunplay braggadocio...