Thread: Computer Freezes

Computer Freezes

I havent formatted in about 8 months and I dont really want to now. But Im begining to think I have no choice. Recently programs are freezing on me and "hanging" when they are meant to be doing something or are loaded. Any ideas?

Need more information, what OS, are there any error messages, did this start after any particluar upgrade or app install, does it lock up randomly or just any time?

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    this may sound crazy try switching a new power supply also try reinstalling your video card drivers www.driverguide.com login is members password all. do the video card thing first then try the power supply
    Comptia a+ n+

windows me

Windows ME, No errors, Just Started happening randomly, No certian app.

233mhz Dell Optiplex GXa, 192mb ram, Pen. II

I'll wait for other answers before doing my drivers.

Umm, your problem might be your OS. I had WinME on my computer for about a year and it froze on me constantly. I went out and got Win2k and it solved my problems. It may not be economically viable for you, but that's my suggestion...
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
    2x512 Corsair TwinX pc3200 in Dual Channel
    Chaintech GeForce 6600gt
    NEC ND3520 Dual-layer Burner
    2x80GB Seagate SATA HDD
    AeroCool JetMaster Case (black)
    Athena Power 500w PSU

Sorry to say but I have to agree with Mikerad, ME was the worst OS ever, of all the pcs I work on I get nothing but problems with ME. I suggest go back to 98SE or even better 2K it is FAR better than 98SE or ME.

i second that. that OS is almost as bad as win95a.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar

read this

me is a buggy program the os will help but if it's hardware the chances are video and power supply. http://www.jrwhipple.com/computer_hangs.html

http://www.waterwheel.com/Guides/Tro...wer_supply.htm
    Comptia a+ n+

if u dont edit windows ME's win.ini, system.ini and registry as well as deleting certain crap it installs then r in for a bumpy ride!

advice

I think I'll take your advice and install Windows 98-SE, I have Windowns 3.1, 95, 98, 98-SE, ME, and 2k and NT 4.0 I would install 2k but I dont like it. All I need now is a new comp and Windows XP.

Folding Thunder

Re: advice

Originally posted by Sixers229
    I think I'll take your advice and install Windows 98-SE, I have Windowns 3.1, 95, 98, 98-SE, ME, and 2k and NT 4.0 I would install 2k but I dont like it. All I need now is a new comp and Windows XP.
    You don't like win 2k???? Lemme say something here: Like you i did'nt like win 2k, so i went with xp pro corporate edition. It was'nt bad. I liked the speed, features and looks. I had it for about a month. Then the ***** just corrupted itself. I dunno why. I tried to fix it, no dice. I formatted and tried a clean install with it . Even the disk was corrupted. Now how in the hell does a cd that's flawless(no scratches, spots or fingerprints,ok call me a neat freak) get corrupted? I tried a different disk, same *****. I did'nt want to go back to 98se, so i went for the 2k. I found out that win2k is the same as xp, xcept without the flashy title and all the crazy features. It works and runs great. I should've installed win2k instead. i would have saved myself a week's worth of headaches.I have most of the features PLUS my rigs run excellent with it. Not one problem!

Go for the Win2k, trust me

Oh btw, burn that win me disk !

andyyy101

I KNOW ME IS ****

I HAVE HAD ALL OS's AND ME WAS FAR MOST THE WORST OS EVER MADETRUST ME GO WITH WIN2000 ITS THE BEST EVER NO PROBS WAT SO EVER

Oh btw, burn that win me disk

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

problems

Win2k doesnt work well with my 2.5 gig HD, or my 233mhz, Gettin a 40gb hd soon tho . Then I will install win2k