Thread: Speedtests

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves

Arrow Speedtests

Most importantly, please note that your throughput (speed) depends not only on your PC, but also your ISPs backbone, the connectivity/congestion of the server you're downloading from (as well as every router on the way to you), distance between the server and client, Internet congestion at the time, etc.
    The best time to test is when general Internet traffic is low, i.e. 3-6 AM.

It's a good idea to clear Temporary Internet Files after each test to get a correct reading, otherwize files might be cached locally.

The right way: The most reliable speed test is by downloading multiple large files from distant servers (not within your ISP's domain). In order to average throughput over multiple connecctions you would need a program such as Net Stat Live from AnalogX installed and running.

Try downloading large files from a fast server, here are a couple of examples:
    Happy Puppy
    Lucasarts FTP ....

From SG

Net Stat Live here:http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...etwork/nsl.htm

Works on all OS's-

OK....

Now, just an argument....

Since I know most people do not use there PCs during 3-6am (which is a good time for surfing and d/ling fast), wouldn't it be better to test during peak hours to make sure your up to speed?

Your probably gonna say no..but I think YES, because during peak hours is when your gonna surf too.

Anyway...
    JeffL
    [size=1]Randomosity4.us
    Earthlink 7000/512

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    The object is to get fastest speeds once, then leave it alone, late at night would be best time for that, But you can ask Philip

I agree with Jeff, I say get online and do whatever you do whenever you want, and tweak it whenever it is convenient for you and get the highest speed during whenever you surf. Make your computer plan it's day aroudn you, not you plan your day around your computer.
    "Impersonators are people who have no personality themselves"

Re: Speedtests

Originally posted by Lobo
    Most importantly, please note that your throughput (speed) depends not only on your PC, but also your ISPs backbone, the connectivity/congestion of the server you're downloading from (as well as every router on the way to you), distance between the server and client, Internet congestion at the time, etc.

HMMMM, if that is true then your cpu and RAM have little or NO effect on your download speed. As I have said you aren't going to get anymore bandwidth than your ISP can give you usually due to factors beyond your control i.e. routers, nodes, congestion etc. So please explain since you have contradicted yourself for the 1000 time, how does cpu speed and RAM effect your speed? HMMM wouldn't those factors you said above effect your latency? So shouldn't that be factored in when suggesting RWINs?