Thread: MP3 editing

MP3 editing

can anyone recommend a program/utility for editing MP3's ? ? ?
    i want to be able to normalize the volume level, adjust the bitrate and clean-up files before burning to be able to make better sounding CD's. i found one called "MP3 Doctor" but all i get is run time errrors with it.
    Thanks -
    C Ya

Hummm...you could use Winamp to somewhat control the normalizations..and to maybe boost or subtract various freqs...Nothing you can do about bitrate. Whatever bitrate its encoded with is what you get.

As to actually cleaning up files..you could use a proggie like Cool Edit or soundforge...and a hoist of others..those two come to mind.

thanks man - i'll try one of those. "mp3doctor" says it can decode a mp3, then "resample" the file and encode it back with any bitrate you want up to 310. sound cool, but like i said, i can't even get it to run, so i don't know if it can actually do it or not.
    Thanks -
    C Ya

Certified SG Addict
    The method I use is to rip the CD to disk as WAV files, open them in Sound Forge and do any edits, use Sonic Foundry's Batch Converter to normalize multiple files at once, and then encode the WAVs to MP3. Of course, you'd have to buy Sound Forge and then download Batch Converter (you get it as a free "add-on" for purchasing), but if you do a lot of ripping/normalizing/encoding it's well worth the cost.

I'll second Sonic Foundry's products. great stuff for editing the actuall music (i.e. highs, lows, silences, boosts). I bought Sound Forge XP Studio about a year ago, it's like $65 or something. Best way to "clean" some of the MP3's i've downloaded.

for strictly normalizing I use a program called MP3 Gain. I think it does a better job normalizing than anything else I have used.

Originally posted by SVO-1
    thanks man - i'll try one of those. "mp3doctor" says it can decode a mp3, then "resample" the file and encode it back with any bitrate you want up to 310. sound cool, but like i said, i can't even get it to run, so i don't know if it can actually do it or not.

Resampling to a higher bitrate is not worth your time. You'll actually end up with an inferior quality mp3.

Here's why. Lets say you encode a song to 128 bitrate file. OK the compression ratio for 128 bit is aprox 10 to 1. Meaning if you had a 50 meg wav and you converted it with a cbr 128 bit conversion....you now have a 5 meg file...all them bits you threw away, you cannot get back. They are history..The only fix if you want a higher bitrate file...(say 320 which for all practical purpose is transparent) is to reencode it from the original wav file.

I took Noevos advice a while back and tried MP3 Gain...I don't need it that often but it works like a champ. Recomended software for you mp3 fans for sure.