Thread: Is spending excessive ammounts of time on the computer a waste of time ?

Is spending excessive ammounts of time on the computer a waste of time ?

Is it ?

No

I've spent excessive amounts of time on my computer for years.

Now I spend excessive amounts of money earned from using what I've learned in those years.

Stay away from the games, they won't make you any money

Originally posted by Norm

oops....

ehh depends what you are doing...most people though will call anytime infront of the computer a waste...its all in the eyes of the beholder.

ofcourse...its now almost 230 in the morning...I figure it like this...I cant sleep...Im not gonna go out...its either this or tv...so which is more of a waste?
    AMD Athlon 1900+ XP | ASUS A7V266E mobo |Visiontek Xtasy GeForce3 Ti500 | 40gb HD 7200 | 16X DVD | 256mb DDR | SBlaster Audigy XGamer | Windows 2000 | Cooler Master ATC-210 Azure
    Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    this dude needs some pimpish SG title lol

TV is a waste, can't make money from what you learn on a TV.

that was my point....well not that you cant learn anything..but ID rather spend my time on the computer (unless something really cool is on tv )
    AMD Athlon 1900+ XP | ASUS A7V266E mobo |Visiontek Xtasy GeForce3 Ti500 | 40gb HD 7200 | 16X DVD | 256mb DDR | SBlaster Audigy XGamer | Windows 2000 | Cooler Master ATC-210 Azure
    Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    this dude needs some pimpish SG title lol

TV is a waste, can't make money from what you learn on a TV.
    You mean to tell me that I can't get my dream home with little or no money?
    Now, I feel cheated and lied to, heart broken even!
    Last edited by blebs; 06-26-02 at 08:52 AM.

Originally posted by blebs99

You mean to tell me that I can't get my dream home with little or no money?

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Spending excessive amounts of time doing anything is a waste, even work. At some point in time you have to balance your life, between friends, family and yourself.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Define excessive time. Time you should be doing something else but end up playing around the computer instead? Or, just happen to be doing stuff all the time on the computer?

If you find yourself not doing other things that you should be or want to be doing because you are on the computer, then thats excessive and bad IMHO.

disabled account Deus ex Machina's Avatar
    Originally posted by RoundEye
    Spending excessive amounts of time doing anything is a waste, even work. At some point in time you have to balance your life, between friends, family and yourself.
    Well said, my friend.

shant,
    'david
    blessed be................

Re: Is spending excessive ammounts of time on the computer a waste of time ?

Originally posted by ColdFusion
    Is it ?
    No,,, if you enjoy doing something then it would'nt be a waste of time,

besides "a waste of time" is relative and not really a factor I think,just like the move " as good as it gets",we are living our lives and I don't think anything we do is a waste of time.

No

I've spent excessive amounts of time on my computer for years.

Now I spend excessive amounts of money earned from using what I've learned in those years.

exactly lol.

getting ready to take my MCP exam for windows 2000 pro.

it starts at 3

it should be a cake walk for me been using 2k for over a year now.

company pays for it too! $125 bucks per exam

AMP
    Gigabyte ga-7n400 pro nForce2 mobo, Athlon XP3200, thermalright slk900, 1 gig corsair pc3200 cas2, radeon 9800pro, SB Audigy 2 ZS
    case= yeong yang YY-B0221 server cube,550 watt Antec true power,1 wd raptor 74 gig,1 34gig raptor (page) 2 wd 120gig se's raid 1, 1 120gig se. WIN xp Pro, Dual display samsung syncmaster 1100df 21in(Primary) Samsung syncmaster 955df 19in (secondary)".

Computer knowledge is much like computers themselves, must be updated or become antiquated.

shant,
    david

With a good solid foundation in Dos, win3.1 etc, the updates aren't as difficult to learn.
    Most newcomers to PC's don't learn any Dos, or early computer knowledge.
    Like any new studies, it's a good idea to learn it's past as well as it's present. Build your knowledge from the ground up, instead of learning only what's new.

In the early PC's, you had to setup IRQ's, know some programming, know the insides of a CPU, and where in ram things like video addresses are stored, where each sector of the HD is...etc.
    Nowawdays it's all done for the user with wizards, so the user doesn't get an understanding of what's actually going on, and when problems arise, the user doesn't have a clue where to begin looking..

One of the best pices of advice I got from someone a long time ago was "You don't need to know everything, just know where to find the info when you need it"

One of the best pices of advice I got from someone a long time ago was "You don't need to know everything, just know where to find the info when you need it"
    Excellent advice.

My knowledge started with Timex Sinclairs and Atari 800's. Later the Commodore Amiga was my baby. Not exactly a valuable computer background. I did not hop the PC train until win3.1. The base knowledge (IRQ's and addresses) are eazy enough. The layers of other detritous (read: registry and the plethora of startups and ini's) are downright wearisome.

shant,
    david

Well the reason for this question is that my mom, seems to think that if i spend over 4-5hrs on the computer its a waste of time. She thinks i should balance my life out doing other things. But i enjoy spending time on the computer ... so whats wrong with that ???

Uninsured for your health
    Originally posted by ColdFusion
    Well the reason for this question is that my mom, seems to think that if i spend over 4-5hrs on the computer its a waste of time. She thinks i should balance my life out doing other things. But i enjoy spending time on the computer ... so whats wrong with that ???
    Dude, if you anything like me...4 or 5 huors passes in the blink of an eye and you still got Win98 problems up the nose...
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

to comppute is to live!