Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: MTU stuck?!

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002

    Question MTU stuck?!

    Hello all

    It seems like my MTU is stuck or something the reg value shows: 1500 but in the diagnostic in it shows 1451.

    Even when i use the TCP optimizer to check my MTUchecker
    I get those lines (doesnt matter what url i try it on)

    "Pinging [] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=253
    Pinging [] with 750 bytes ->bytes=750 time=75ms TTL=253
    Pinging [] with 1125 bytes ->bytes=1125 time=104ms TTL=253
    Pinging [] with 1312 bytes ->bytes=1312 time=119ms TTL=253
    Pinging [] with 1406 bytes ->bytes=1406 time=127ms TTL=253
    Pinging [] with 1453 bytes ->Request Timed Out
    Pinging [] with 1453 bytes ->Request Timed Out
    Pinging [] with 1453 bytes ->Request Timed Out
    Couldn't determine largest possible MTU due to packets being lost.
    You might want to try a different URL"

    Please Help,
    Amit Z

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002

    Something i wanna add

    I used this connection before and it work great MTU-1500 and all
    this is the first time i use win98 and xp together.
    And my system specs are

    AMD Xp 1.8
    512m DDR
    Gf 3 ti 200 MSI
    O/B network (realtek)

    My ADSL is in always on mode my modem is speedtouch Alcatel

    Thanks again

  3. #3
    are you using a roughter... if you are.. update your firmware.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002

    im not

    im not

  5. #5
    Dr Tweak mnosteele52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Chesapeake, VA
    What OS are you running and is this a DSL PPPoE connection? Have you ever had or do you have AOL installed on your pc?

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Its WinXP pro
    The funny thing it worked well at all the previos installs
    And no im not using AOL,
    And whats PPPoE?
    And no i dont think im using it,
    Sorry to be a noob

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    BTW my modem is a router and i use a hub

  8. #8
    i have this problem too. i set my mtu = 1492(adsl-ppoe) but when check on the analyser page it show mtu = 1454.
    any idea whats wrong here ? and how would i set mtu to 1492?

    TCP properties for IP = Edited (Edited)
    Browser/OS = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)
    Note: Read the FAQ if the above is not your IP address.

    TCP options string = 020405860103030301010402

    MTU = 1454
    MTU is not fully optimized for broadband. Consider increasing your MTU to 1500 for better throughput.

    MSS = 1414
    Maximum useful data in each packet = 1414, which equals MSS.
    MSS is not fully optimized for broadband (although it might work well for slower connections). Consider increasing your MTU value.

    Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 520352
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 3 bits
    Unscaled Receive Window = 65044
    RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    260176 (MSS x 46 * scale factor of 4)
    130088 (MSS x 46 * scale factor of 2)
    65044 (MSS x 46)

    bandwidth * delay product:
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 20814.08 kbps (2601.76 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 8325.632 kbps (1040.704 KBytes/s) @ 500ms

    MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

    Time to live left = 49 hops
    TTL value is ok.

    Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF

    Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

    IP type of service field (RFC1349)= 00000000


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts