Thread: Help! I believe I've been hacked!

Exclamation Help! I believe I've been hacked!

While visiting a new site last night I noticed they were advertising for some software. Then I noticed that the contents of my C: drive were displayed on in a frame at the bottom of the page. I was using 98se at the time so the C: drive was my "active" drive. I'm using IE6 and Zone Alarm, what should I do to stop this from being possible, I assume if they could show me the contents of my drive they have my ip address and I'm a sitting duck.
    Thanks

You saw your drive, they didn't.

It's a trick using scripting, and harmless.(well... to a point)

If you disable active scripting in IE security, even you won't see your drive on that page.

Active scripting is needed for some sites to work, but best left off while surfing unknown sites.

I beleive scripting was off, I usually leave it off for all site except ones I visit often because of all the pop ups that are being used. I might have forgot to turn it off. Wish I would have remembered the address to the site, but it freaked me out so much I closed IE and unplugged my modem.

I usually turn active scripting off but leave the other two selections there on, should they be disabled also?
    thanks

I prefer all scripting off when surfing unknown sites. But that will limit what you see on pages as well as give better security.

One of the members here (minir) posted a link to a program called Proxomitron, and I've been having some success using it. Lots of reading to configure it , but well worth it. All kinds of web filtering capabilities.

http://207.87.52.60/ to read about it

http://207.87.52.60/download.html to download it

gbrown

FYI, every website you have ever visited has your IP number unless you surfed through a Proxy.

As Norm said, that page is harmless, you see your drive, no one else does.

I have page dedicated to that "scare" here:
    http://www.coolpagehelp.com/hack.html
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Thanks for the replies. I know all site have the ip, but that was the first that ever showed my the contents of my drive. Thanks again.