Thread: Why do I have to reboot before my connection works?

kevvan

Question Why do I have to reboot before my connection works?

I have a one-way cable modem(3COM) from RCN. I connect to the Internet by opening a page in a browser which in turn dials into RCN and establishes a connection. The dial up portion of the cable modem is achieved via an external 56K modem and I can see the modem connect but I can't view any pages until I reboot my system. Needless to say, it is very frustrating to have to reboot my system every time before I can view any web content. My RCN modem is connected via a Linksys cable modem router. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.....

Ps. Running Windows ME.

Try going to Start|Run, and type winipcfg
    Hit the [enter] key

When it comes up, hit the "renew all" button

kevvan

Winipconfig won't work

The machine is obtaining an IP from the Linksys. The Linksys is obtaining an IP from RCN. I can see the status and it has obtained an IP. It actually stays with the same IP all the time but it doesn't connect until a reboot.

Here is a link to the RCN handbook. It's in PDF format, you'll need Acrobat Reader to view it.
    In the last section on One Way service is info on the setup etc. Hope it helps, maybe you missed a step and need to start over.

No one else has stepped up to help you, and I know nothing about a one way connection, just doing what I can to provide this handbook. Have you called your ISP and asked what could be the problem. Win ME isn't the best of OS's either, could be the problem right there, who knows.

http://www.rcn.com/handbook/rcn_hanbook.pdf

Good luck, hope you figure it out.