Thread: Massive inbound packet bursts on Cox HSI

rcorreia

Massive inbound packet bursts on Cox HSI

Ever since Cox HSI converted us to their internal network, I've periodically (several times each night) received massive inbound packet bursts. This is most noticeable when playing Everquest, since there is a meter on the screen which shows activity.

I do NOT receive any packet loss. Rather, I get a sustained burst of inbound packets which results in anything I try to send in being queued for up to 20-30 seconds. If the burst is long enough, my cable modem will lose sync with the downstream router and it will disconnect from the network. If this happens, it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour for it to resync.

I reported this to Cox some time ago. After pushing the issue for over a month, one tech reported that it was a problem with an AT&T router outside the Cox network and they were working with AT&T to get it fixed. Shortly thereafter, the problem disappeared for all of a week. Now it's back with a vengeance, and I'm going through the same hassle with Cox "tech" support.

When I receive one of these bursts online, I generally ask around if anyone else received the same problem. The only people that are reporting it are Cox HSI customers, and they're in different parts of the country.

Any ideas as to what could be going on, and is there anyway I can handle the problem on my end? I'm running Windows/XP (home edition) and a BEFSR41 Linksys Router. Any assistance would be appreciated.

-- Ron

When reporting it, leave out the "playing game" part.
    Do you really think they care if you can play your game?
    Have Heart Will Fly!