Page 667 of 695 FirstFirst ... 167567617657663664665666667668669670671677 ... LastLast
Results 13,321 to 13,340 of 13884

Thread: What are you listening to???

Blog Entries
    David Gilmour: On An Island

---

minir

Blog Entries
    James Taylor: Mud Slide Slim

---

minir

Raven - "On and On"

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Blog Entries
    John Fogerty: Blue Moon Swamp

Bruce Cockburn: You've Never Seen Everything

---

minir

Fireflight

Blog Entries
    Creedence Clearwater Revival: Green River

--

minir

Emmylou Harris - Producers Cut\08 - Pancho And Lefty

Blog Entries
    Miles Davis: Sketches of Spain

---

minir

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

John Fogerty: Revival

ZZ Top: Tres Hombres

---

minir

Blog Entries

Smile

Roger Waters: Amused to Death

Richard Thompson's: Henry The Human Fly

Rosanne Cash: Interiors.
    ===

To those who may have an interest?

I began repositioning my speakers a couple of weeks ago and gave the formula of 1/3rds here for doing so. It works very well in just about all situations, but the listening room plays a major part in your final sound and i was hearing too much bass and there was a woolliness to it as well. It lacked that last bit of definition.

Well much time spent moving the speakers out further into my room 1/8th of an inch here and an additional 1/16th there and listening again, then out with the measuring tape to ensure exactness in the measurements from front wall and side walls of each speaker. Then listening some more. It can drive you crazy so do a little each time & quit before you get frustrated.

The nice part about being single is not having someone tell you your **** or worse, as this you already know.

Finally after countless moves, measurements & listening there is that Magic!!! moment, which i just had a couple of hours ago. Your ear catches it immediately and you know you've finally found the Spot!

Kinda something like when your girlfriends toes turn up for the first time & you realize you've just hit The Home Run!

I knew immediately I had achieved what i had been searching for all this time, 15 Years, in the same home.

Countless hours of tweaks, from cable upgrades, DAC tube upgrades, transport changes, power conditioners, specialized fuses and AC outlets like Oyaide Receptacles & very importantly power cords (Yes they do make a great deal of difference) and the moving about of my speakers (Most Important) i finally the hit that exact spot that the room liked.

All of a sudden the tone was perfect, the separation of voices and instruments more lifelike & the shrillness sometimes one hears from a flute or whatever, banished. The bass now more distinct in its reproduction & separation of tone. Your ears and body just seem to instantly relax as you listen to what is now more lifelike.

Out came my all time favourite CD Roger Waters Amused to Death which i have mentioned many times prior. If you get this one sounding right you know everything else will follow.

Well here was Razz talking about Bill with a clarity unheard before and Jeff Beck's guitar work standing out in full relief, the knocking of & opening of the door on the left at chair level going across to the far right deep into the corner with that same clarity & the bird flying.

The woman on the left in the background talking about gassing her children and the planes landing gear touching down on the right, enjoying the same rightness of sound & balanced in depth on both sides left & right. After hearing this i played.

Richard Thompson's: Henry The Human Fly

If fans of Richards you know how fastidious he is about ensuring anything he releases is the best he can make it and the sound here was simply outstanding.

I followed this up with

Rosanne Cash: Interiors.

What a treat.

When i look back at the many times i thought i was hearing my system at its best & eventually through additions, upgrades or tweaking, found it could be bettered I'm stunned to have spent so many hours, weeks & years before reaching this level of enjoyment.

Over time you become a better listener and you hear things ignored prior or that you didn't really notice. To say i am pleased is putting it mildly. Thrilled is more like it.

I now want to revisit my entire collection to find those new found pleasures I've just now discovered, unheard in the past.

Hope this wasn't too much of a bore for those taking the time reading it. What I'm trying to say i guess is don't be afraid to experiment with your system. Its amazing what can come of it. Most of it free, simply adjusting your speakers, the rest is simply icing on the cake.

Me I buy Lotto Tickets each week in the hopes of someday owning a world class system as apposed to the modest one i have.

Happy Listening

---

minir

Blog Entries
    The Beatles: Revolver

Steve Earle: Train a Comin

---

minir

Blog Entries
    Van Morrison: Hymns To The Silence ...A longtime favorite of mine 2CD's

Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man

---

minir

Blog Entries
    Allen Toussaint: The Bright Mississippi ...Some New Orleans Jazz, spirited!

---

minir

Zen meditation music

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Allen Toussaint: The Bright Mississippi ... Still in rotation.

Just can't get enough of this CD. The best buy i made this past year.

Some very talented guys, namely Allen Toussaint himself along with the likes of Joe Henry producing (One of my favourites artists to start with) Joshua Redman on sax, Don Byron clarinet, with Brad Mehldau on piano & David Piltch on bass & there are more superb talents as well. They are doing Jelly Roll Morton, Django Reinhardt & Duke Ellington tunes. Superb sound.

Do yourselves a favour & just buy it, i doubt you'll be disappointed. Its shear listening pleasure

regards

minir

Blog Entries
    King Crimson: In The Court Of The Crimson King

Jimmy Rogers: Blue Bird

--

minir

Blog Entries
    Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle: One From The Heart

An unlikely pairing to be sure. It is the soundtrack from the movie of the same name. A wonderful movie soundtrack it proves to be. Gayles voice is outstanding. An altogether enjoyable experience imho.

--

minir

Blog Entries
    Van Morrison: Magic Time

Joe Henry: Kindness Of The World

---

minir

Justin Timberlake- Take it From Here