View Poll Results: Do you have transfer Caps and/or multi-tier broadband services?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Both capped, and multi-tier

4 44.44%
  • Capped, and only 1 kind of service

2 22.22%
  • No caps, only 1 kind of service

1 11.11%
  • Not capped, but multi-tier

2 22.22%

Thread: Do you have Transfer Rate Caps??

I...... AM.......... CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exclamation Do you have Transfer Rate Caps??

Ok i'm sure all the high speed users in Canada are totally PISSED off right now cuz both Bell DSL and Rogers Cable are gonna start capping transfers.... I'm sure other DSL/Cable companies will follow as well. I read in a newspaper article that these limits have been in the states for some years now, is this true??

If you have broadband internet at home in the states, do you have transfer caps or multi-tier services?

Plz complete the poll
    Abit KR7A-Raid
    Palomino 1.4Ghz @ 1.57Ghz @ default voltage /w DTek Spir@l block 512MB Crucial DDR @ 300Mhz CAS222 ATi OEM Radeon8500 @ 295/275 vmem=3.5v, would of gotten GF3 if they had better filters..... 3Com 905 TX SoundBlaster Live OEM 120gig Western Digital Special Edition (8MB Cache) 20gig Fujitsu 5400rpm (gonna get another WD1200JB for Raid0 soon) LiteOn 24x burner Enermax 350watt PSU (voltage modded) Dell P1110 21" Sony FD Trinitron tube @ 1792x1344 85Hz

TigerUpperCut
    I think the ISP's in Canada are trying to find a way to get more money! But there is something that they have not though about, IT would be up to the ISP to stop all junk mail and pop up windows. Or anything you have not asked for that uses yours limits up. I don't think they can do that! User have right too. So I don't see it taking place here in the USA for a long time. But I think they will try. But not with cable even if they would like too. I would hope the FCC would step in.

It is already happening here in the U.S

Raod Runner alwaredy announced by end of year they are going to have caps as well.

Soon other cable companies will start because most have monopolies.

I think this really stinks, and consider it the bait and switch tactic.

Broke
    Originally posted by zxc47
    TigerUpperCut
    But there is something that they have not though about, IT would be up to the ISP to stop all junk mail and pop up windows. Or anything you have not asked for that uses yours limits up. I don't think they can do that! User have right too.
    Where to you get the idea that users have rights, man are you living in a dream world.
    And to think it wont happen state side, wrong again. Your laws will allow it to happen much easier then ours will.
    And you also know that the ISP's will have so many loopholes to jump through that pop ups and junk mail will be our fault, not theirs.
    We are getting hosed big time up here with the new caps. Wrote my ISP for confirmation whether they will impliment or not, and no response, guess they are afraid to tell the truth.
    If this all goes through which it looks like it is going to. It is only a matter of time and you boys on the other side of the border might as well bend over and grab your ankles, cause your next, and if you think your not gonna get hit with byte caps then stick your heads back in the sand.
    If you cant see it comeing then it wont happen right?

Have WOW in south eastern Michigan. No transfer caps rumored yet. they do have two tier pricing though. 500/128 and 1500/300. I think it's about a $10/month difference between the two packages with the 1500/300 being the normal package at around $40/month

Broke
    Originally posted by Noevo
    Have WOW in south eastern Michigan. No transfer caps rumored yet. they do have two tier pricing though. 500/128 and 1500/300. I think it's about a $10/month difference between the two packages with the 1500/300 being the normal package at around $40/month
    Hows the wow working out so far, good I hope.

I have to wonder how much bandwidth **** like the banner ads that refresh will use up.
    Think I'm gonna have to trash the router and put the proxy server back up and enable cacheing on it, with a huge cache. No way to monitor usage on the router but on the server I can. Might help a little bit. And disable downloading on all the kids computers.
    Disable images in the browser so text only. Block access to the net by all file sharing programs with a software firewall.
    Man do I have my work cut out for me if I am to be able to remain online.
    Might have to go business class DSL, will have to tart pricing around.
    Webmasters are gonna have to start writing sites like back in the 486 days. Fast and lean.

Chris, WOW has been good. People in my area had some problems with it for a bit, very high lag and problems getting to some sites. But WOW was VERY responsive to our problems and worked dilligently with us to fix the problem. Which has been resolved and speeds are back to normal. Like I said, WOW advertises 1500/300 but normal speeds in our area tend to be about 2000/500. The caps are not set at 1500/300, but a little higher so people reach the advertised speeds. Customer service has been incredible to say the least. check this thread out to see what the customer service has been like. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...=wow~mode=flat

sorry for the quazi hijack TigerUpperCut.