Thread: Looking for a 64bit 66MHz Intel board.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana

Question Looking for a 64bit 66MHz Intel board.

Are there any single processor motherboards that have one or two 64bit/66Mhz PCI slots?

Preferably Intel P4/DDR ready.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

hmmm.... not i'm guaranteeing they don't exist, but i can't remember seeing a non-SMP board with 64bit PCI. lots of PIII SMP boards out there, but dual P4? for awhile Intel had major problems getting P4s to work in SMP. maybe they worked it out, maybe they stll haven't. i don't know for sure. i know this is not what you wanted to hear, but i think you would have better luck checking out SMP/PIII Tualatin-based boards.

good luck, man.

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720

Well

I remember there being about 1 board, I think it was Asus, but could be wrong, give me a bit to look over it.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

dual p4 hasn't been actually confirmed with a working board yet.... MSI and ASUS supposedly have made boards and are just waitng for validation and the ok from intel(the later won't happen)

at this point intel wants to keep people in the Xeon platform.... much higher profit margins on that chip....

so dual intel is dual P3 or dual P4 xeon.
    technical evangelist

Thanks for the help, but I'm looking for a single P4 mobo with a 64 bit PCI slot.

I'm thinking about buying a new board, and I have a Promise Raid controller that is 64bit, 66Mhz ready.

sorry, man. bad wording on my part. what i meant is that you will be hard pressed to find a single-CPU board with any sort of 64bit PCI bus/slot. the only single-CPU systems i have seen with that were actually SMP boards with only one CPU installed. i'm just not 100% ruling out that there is such a board out there (lord knows i haven't seen everything.... or even close to it). they would (due to application logic) just be very rare if there was.

Re: Well

Originally posted by terrancelam
    I remember there being about 1 board, I think it was Asus, but could be wrong, give me a bit to look over it.
    Hey y'all I need some help with this.

I'm looking at hard drive performance here, I want to use this Promise controller. It's 64bit/66MHz capable, the board terrancelam is talking about is 64bit/33MHz. Asus NRL-LS.

My question is, is the 64bit/33Mhz bus going to show me any speed increase over a standard 32bit/33MHz pci bus?

Or, are there any new boards out there yet?

Re: Looking for a 64bit 66MHz Intel board.

Originally posted by RoundEye
    Are there any single processor motherboards that have one or two 64bit/66Mhz PCI slots?

Preferably Intel P4/DDR ready.
    I was looking for the same thing after I purchased my Promise FastTrak TX2000...didn't have any luck finding any single processor boards.

Good Luck,

BMED

PS, If you happen to come across one let me know!

btw, I think you can run one processor on a dual processor board..kinda defeats the propose though!

disabled account
    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/trinitygcsl.html

Tyan makes rock solid boards, and you pay for the quality.

Intel does not want any P4 SMP boards... Though 533 based Xeon setups might be around the bend.

david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

Originally posted by nepenthe
    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/trinitygcsl.html

Tyan makes rock solid boards, and you pay for the quality.

Intel does not want any P4 SMP boards... Though 533 based Xeon setups might be around the bend.

david
    Damn, I would really like to have that board, it's almost 400 dollars though.

....I'm just a poor boy, from a poor family....

disabled account
    I am sure with a bit of poking around you might find it for less.

The other option is a dual P3 or AMD board (I have the latter). The AMD board is havable @ rougly 200 USD. Slap in one CPU (Two MP's if you are feeling frisky) and you are ready to go.

shant,
    david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

Re: Re: Well

Originally posted by RoundEye
    Hey y'all I need some help with this.

I'm looking at hard drive performance here, I want to use this Promise controller. It's 64bit/66MHz capable, the board terrancelam is talking about is 64bit/33MHz. Asus NRL-LS.

My question is, is the 64bit/33Mhz bus going to show me any speed increase over a standard 32bit/33MHz pci bus?

Or, are there any new boards out there yet?
    If ur using a higher performance RAID card or something of that sort (for scsi), you'll see the performance difference when it comes to terms of pure raw speed.
    Asus P5N-D
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Antec NSK4480B

HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22

One of my bigger concerns is

if your going to go for a server configuration, why not just get a prebuild hp/compaq? The older compaq stuff I've seen (older PII) is solidly built (never thought I'd say something good about a propiertary system).

But I guess your going for the home server thing. It all comes down to cost really, I remember reading a review where the card your talking about specificly came into competition with a highpoint pci raid card (cheap stuff) on a PCI 33 bus and it came real close to performing with it, kinda making the price take of $187 bucks (for Promise card with 256mb of ram) not so hot. But on the pci 64bit slot I'm sure the Promise will kick all sorts of ass. Just the stepper pricing on the board.
    Asus P5N-D
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Antec NSK4480B