Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing Hair long, need tips

Post Growing Hair long, need tips

i've never done it before, i want long hair, not like real long, and not like a mullet lol, but equally long all around and stuff, is there anything special i need to do like get it cut a certain way or get certain parts trimed? or do i just let it all grow out on it's own?

help me out here, i'm new to all this, but i've always had short hair and it's time for a change
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

You need to use that special kind of gel, like the one that Ben Stiller used in "There's Something About Mary"
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Originally posted by Brent:
    i've never done it before, i want long hair, not like real long, and not like a mullet lol, but equally long all around and stuff, is there anything special i need to do like get it cut a certain way or get certain parts trimed? or do i just let it all grow out on it's own?

help me out here, i'm new to all this, but i've always had short hair and it's time for a change
    going for the pony tail school girl look??????

j/k.......you knew that there would be a smart a$$ comment in here sometime
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Just miss all ur hair cut apointments or whatever lol thats how i did it!

Well before you start growing your hair just remember the Texas heat is on its way

Just let it grow.
    It will get straggly -
    periodically go to barber/stylist and ask for a "clean-up" & tell em you are trying to grow the hair longer.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Advanced Member

Use 'styling gel' to hold hair down until it gets long enuf to stay down on its own.

Only use 'factory sharpened' scissors, like "ICE" brand scissors for any trimming.

ICE brand scissors cost about $80. and can be sent-in to be 'microsopically' sharpened.

Using Ordinary scissors Breaks hair off instead of cutting, is what causes 'split-ends and 'friz'.

Is other brands, too. Just can't remember them.

Cool

Originally posted by YARDofSTUF:
    Just miss all ur hair cut apointments or whatever lol thats how i did it!
    Same here... but as TonyT said, you might want to get the tips cut off at times before they get damaged. Once the hair is damaged, it will not grow any further. If you just want it to reach your shoulders, you should be fine without haircuts though.

Furthermore, the longer the hair gets, the more care it needs. However, don't wash it with shampoo every day, that kills your hair pretty quick. It's okay as long as your hair is short, because the natural moisture can reach the full lenght of the hair pretty quick, but if your hair is long, it takes a while to reach the tips. So washing it with shampoo dries it out fast. Also, I strongly recommend using a good conditioner. Makes your hair much easier to brush, so you will pull less hair out when they're tangled (especially important if you have thin and curly hair, like mine). When tangled, softly brush it, starting at the tips and slowly work your way up to the roots. Don't use a blow dryer too often, heat is also not very good for your hair (normal Texan heat should be fine though).

Cheers,
    Ronald
    ex-WoW-addict

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana

Originally posted by fanta:
    Well before you start growing your hair just remember the Texas heat is on its way
    True,
    Near the summer, since I work in a service bay, I get mine cut off my collar and above the ears. If you are going to wear it long wait to the end of summer and let it start to grow.

In the winter, longer hair keeps what little brains I have left from freezing.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

just get pregnant! my hair has grown fast!

but seriously... they have a product called mane and tail. it was made for horses but i have known of several people who use it and say their hair grew faster. it is sold in any hair store and i think in some grocery stores. they also say you should get your hair trimmed every 6 weeks, not cut, just trimmed. it removes the damaged hair and allows your hair to grow faster and much more healthy. i would suggest using really good conditioner so your hair is soft and easy to brush. a really good shampoo and conditioner i use is called matrix. it runs about $15 a bottle, but its worth it. it makes your hair very shiney and soft. another thing i have known for people to do is when it gets long enough to put in a pony tail. make it very tight so it kinda stretches your hair. and like everyone else said, dont blow dry. i think you should wash it everyday. i dont think it hurts your hair to be clean, if you use good products.

good luck and i hope i was of some help.

Brent-
    pretty good advice on the thread.

trim the tips to get rid of split ends.
    just getting past the initial, funny-looking phase is the hardest.

I grew my hair wayyy long in college. Kinda miss it now, but actually it is kinda a pain in the a$$ to take care of....

good luck

I keep mine short and faded. I get it cut every 1-2 weeks. In the summer 3-5 days. BTW my cousin is a barber part-time
    The user formally known as jesse23

That manw & tail stuff really works. It was designed originally for horses but the stuff is modified & sold for humans. My wife used it as well as my oldest daughter. I know it works cause I have had to clean out a few drains with looooooooooong hairs in them recently!
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Just do what Princess said.. You'll get rich at the same time hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil
    Tolerance is a virtue, not a requirement.
    SG Theme Song

nah, i don't wanna get pregranant right now, need a stable job first with lots of money and have a more stable life first before i have a child...

so since i can't do that right now... thanks for all the tips guys!

I hadn't thought about the upcoming heat and long hair, heh, it was 85 degrees here today and humid, this is only a taste of things to come for texas weather.....

BUT i really wanna have long hair for QuakeCon and that's in August....

Hrmmm harder to maintain too i'm hearing...

damn, no easy choices! I think i'm gonna go for it anyways! what better way to learn and learn from mistakes if i make them, i'll never know if i don't do it.....

so here goes nuthin!
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Brent, Jesus would be proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil
    Tolerance is a virtue, not a requirement.
    SG Theme Song

Originally posted by Brent:
    BUT i really wanna have long hair for QuakeCon and that's in August....

Oh, so you wanna blend in with the other nerdy weirdos HUH
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

lmao, Brent you need to get out more.

Really long hair is no big deal. Try growing it. If it's not turning out like you want, do what Prey does.

Buy a wig.

You can have it styled like Michael Bolton, or Mel Gibson, in Lionheart, or Fabio.

Or even Prey's favorite, Borjk. J/k.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Prey521:
    You need to use that special kind of gel, like the one that Ben Stiller used in "There's Something About Mary"
    Tee-hee-heee

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche