Thread: Do You have to worry abotu download limits?

Do You have to worry abotu download limits?

As you all may know I was working on actual download and upload amount on various web activities, streaming radio, Multiplayer gaming, surfing, email etc for the press in reference to download limits being placed by Sympatico in Canada. Reports are coming that many ISPs are thinking about these caps, Even in the US. Anyway, I finally got the chart up and it is explained here: Download Amounts Chart
    Bob
    www.carricksolutions.com - The largest PPPoE / Broadband Help Website.

Broke
    As a purchaser of aDSL in Ontario through a sub carrier I must put a thanks out to you Bob for all the work your putting into this.

Caps will be the death of High speed internet in my household for certain. Maybe the internet as a whole, don't think I could go back to dial up.
    Pull the plug and sell the boxes,hubs routers and all.
    Anyone want to buy a home network???
    Time will tell I guess

you know in light of that story on the front page and if that cap trend continues, those numbers seem mighty scary. if i'm listening to a live stream that requires broadband and i'm doing other stuff like kazaa'ing and surfing, i'd be reaching those caps in a lot less than a month. good thing attbi doesn't have those caps yet (crosses fingers like they've never been crossed before) but i'll be scanning the news intently and hope that bomb doesn't drop anytime soon.
    High speed Internet access is a right, not a privilege

Broke
    you will actually reach those caps in a matter of a week or so.

Can I optimize?

Can anyone tell me if these settings are good. I want to get highest speed possible like everyone else out there. I used newest cable nut adjuster:

TCP options string = 020405b40103030201010402

MTU = 1500
    MTU is fully optimized for broadband.

MSS = 1460
    Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which is equal to MSS.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 256960
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits
    Unscaled Receive Window = 64240
    RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
    128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
    64240 (MSS x 44)

bandwidth * delay product:
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 10278.4 kbps (1284.8 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 4111.36 kbps (513.92 KBytes/s) @ 500ms

MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

Time to live left = 51 hops
    TTL value is ok.

Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF

Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON

IP type of service field (RFC1349)= 00000000

i use bell sympatico and have used it for almost 3 years now and since the announcement of the caps, ive decided to drop bell and try rogers cable out, even though ive heard rumours of rogers doin the same thing

i just dont think its right to call it unlimited high speed internet when in truth it wont be as off june 12th
    athlon 1.333ghz(266fsb), 1024mb pc-133, ATI Radeon 8500le 128MB, 60gig western digital 7200 rpm hd, 60gig maxtor 7200 rpm hd, LG 24x10x40 CR-RW, Pioneer 16x DVD-Rom, sound blaster live x-gamer!,viewsonic 17" E771,win XP PRO

Rogers announced two days ago they will be implimenting caps during the summer.
    Bob

can i get a link?
    athlon 1.333ghz(266fsb), 1024mb pc-133, ATI Radeon 8500le 128MB, 60gig western digital 7200 rpm hd, 60gig maxtor 7200 rpm hd, LG 24x10x40 CR-RW, Pioneer 16x DVD-Rom, sound blaster live x-gamer!,viewsonic 17" E771,win XP PRO

Bob

well thats gay

canadaguy
    Yes thankyou Bob for all the work you've put in. I have already signed your petition when I saw it posted at dslreports.com

I have a different take on this situation. I am definitely in the top 1% of "bandwidth hogs"....... i admit. I've gone through about 70 blank cdrs in the past 30 days. However I also took marketing in school and I view myself as not a "bandwidth hog" but rather an "early adopter" of the vast potential of the internet. Lets face it, some day soon the vast majority of our communication and entertainment will come from the internet. No longer will we rent movies at the video store or buy music cds at the local mall. Every videoscreen (tv) will be linked directly to the net with literally the world at ones fingertips.

Filesharing Programs aren't going anywhere, steaming video and multimedia aren't going anywhere.....they are the way of the future and trying to limit this is not going to work. The demand for more and more broadband speed and higher limits will continue to grow and if small minded companies such as Bell fail to recognize this, new companies will.

I sincerely hope we can stop this step backwards before it starts. I worked it out and if i ran a dialup connection 24/7 for a month i could download more than 10 gigs for say $15.00/mth as opposed to a $70.00 for 10gb cap a month. You do the math. So much for broadband.....what a joke!