Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: random restarts

random restarts

Hi,

I am currently experiencing problems with my computer. It will randomly flash a blue screen very quickly and restart at any given time. I am running windows xp on the following system:

Abit kt7a 300W PS
    512 ram pc133
    Ati Radeon 8500
    Sb live value
    30gb quantem fireball
    80gb western digital
    Linksys NIC

If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Folding Thunder
    Hey Joe,
    this just starting happening or was this doing it on a regular basis?

It just started recently... like within 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Joe

could be your system trying to get too much power from your 300w power supply and it reboots

also on win xp theres a option that the computer will reboot on any error, i forget were to go to switch this off, but your comp may be getting any number of small errors and win xp decides to reboot
    athlon 1.333ghz(266fsb), 1024mb pc-133, ATI Radeon 8500le 128MB, 60gig western digital 7200 rpm hd, 60gig maxtor 7200 rpm hd, LG 24x10x40 CR-RW, Pioneer 16x DVD-Rom, sound blaster live x-gamer!,viewsonic 17" E771,win XP PRO

Folding Thunder
    Check your bios settings and make sure evrything's on default
    and did u just install xp or was it an upgrade?

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=30

go here, do what it says.

this will stop the computer from restarting when you get a blue screen.

Then the next time you get a blue screen, you will be able to read what it says, it will most likely tell you what piece of hardware or possibly software is giving you the problem

good luck.

could be your system trying to get too much power from your 300w power supply and it reboots
    agree. i while ago i changed my processors and i didnt setup the voltages correctly so i was getting random boots and blue screens

so check your voltages on the BIOS for your processors that is where the problem may be
    When everything Fails, FORMAT C: solves it all....

Venge This!

Re: random restarts

Originally posted by Joebeme2
    Hi,

I am currently experiencing problems with my computer. It will randomly flash a blue screen very quickly and restart at any given time. I am running windows xp on the following system:

Abit kt7a 300W PS
    512 ram pc133
    Ati Radeon 8500
    Sb live value
    30gb quantem fireball
    80gb western digital
    Linksys NIC

If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe
    Thats normal-lol

Id say there was a corrupted system file in ur OS, format and reinstall should do the trick
    Rob

Re: Re: random restarts

Originally posted by SlicKsTufF2355

Thats normal-lol

Id say there was a corrupted system file in ur OS, format and reinstall should do the trick
    format and reinstall would probably fix the problem. But you cant always do that, it can solve your problems, if you have a place to back your stuff up, if you know what your doing.

But you also must consider, if you dont know where the problem came from, that it could very possibly come back up again. where the approach to fixing the problem, without formatting, is what you need to do.

and suggesting that the power supply is the problem, is highly unlikely to be the problem.

Windows XP's new design prevents blue screens from keeping the system at a halt, thats why its rebooting.

Most likely it is a piece of hardware like the sound or video card. Thats why i suggested the tweak XP site...... so that the computer doesnt reboot, then he can see what driver is causing the malfunction.

Anyway if it was the power supply, it would be because the power supply wasnt giving enough power. but a 300 should be enough in his situation. There would also be a reboot without the blue screen.

Well, I did that thing with the registry and it seemed to work for awhile. Now my computer randomly restarts and there is no blue screen. It's like someone is pushing my reset button. I have 4 fans and a pci slot fan as well as all the specs in my first post under this topic. Is it possible that it could be the power supply? If so, is it possible to buy a new p.s. and just replace my current one? Thanks.

Joe

oh also check the temps of the CPUs. Last week my cooler master CPU fan which is no more than 3 months stoped working and i didnt know , i could see that the temps on my CPU2 was 10 to 12 degrees hotter than CPU1.

And that conduced the PC to restart by itselft ad it was caused by the HIGH TEMPS so check that 2

you said that you have 4 fans ( i am assuming they are on the case ) that woulndt be enough for the CPU CHECK if it spinning
    When everything Fails, FORMAT C: solves it all....

If it is the power suppy, does anyone know is it possible to buy a new power supply and just replace my current one?

who makes the PSU?
    is ur puter OC'ed?
    what CPU u got?
    Will Work For FSB

I believe its a Deer 300W UL / CSA ATX Power Supply. I have an amd athlon 1.4 ghz cpu. My temps are usually around 47C. http://www.markonecomputers.com/case...10236757993698 - thats my case.

Joe

deer *shudders*... try updating your via 4in1s too altho i do think it's the psu

www.viaarena.com

Can i just buy a new power supply then with more watts to replace my current one? Thanks.

Joe

Yes it is possible to buy another power supply and switch it with the one you have, but you may not have to do that. Like they mentioned, make sure your BIOS is set correctly.

I had a VERY similar problem that I just fixed myself. I was using Kerio Personal Firewall v.2.1.4 and it was that that was causing my problems...are you perhaps using that as well? I've heard of people using Kerio and not having a single problem, but not me

Make sure all your drivers are up to date as well....VIA, video card, sound card, NIC, etc.

Also, you may want to check out This thread. There was a lot of good suggestions in there to my problem that was very similar to yours. One of them may fix it for you.

Originally posted by Joebeme2
    I believe its a Deer 300W UL / CSA ATX Power Supply. I have an amd athlon 1.4 ghz cpu. My temps are usually around 47C. http://www.markonecomputers.com/case...10236757993698 - thats my case.

Joe
    ur cuttin it close with a 300W with everything u got

what are the PSU voltages?
    Will Work For FSB

Hello,

I am not running that firewall and I do believe that I am running all the updated drivers. I am at work right now, so i will check it when i get home. Should i try taking out some of those fans out to see if the problem persists? Thanks,

Joe