Thread: Should i reformat when ..................??

Should i reformat when ..................??

Should i reformat the HDD when i change motherboard ???

or its ok if i just switch the mobo andthats it ???

let me know
    When everything Fails, FORMAT C: solves it all....

yes
    Will Work For FSB

If the motherboard is the same as your changing out, then you can probalby get away with it.

It may work if it's a different mobo but don't count on it. I'd reformat.

it's not 100% necessary, but i would highly suggest it. to completely wipe all system devices from your system, you would have to remove everything from the device manager, as well as remove some ENUM paths from your registry (would have to look them up, don't know them right offhand).

it's a lot easier and productive to just reformat and do a fresh install.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Technically you don't have to reformat, because plug 'n play will detect TONS of new hardware, load drivers, prompt you for drivers, you may even run a driver disk for the mobo...or download the latest.

But you end up with an OS chock full of junk.....and although it's gotten better with 98 and 2000...it still tends to run flakey, and sure doesn't perform anything close to a system that you ran setup on fresh from scratch.

Worse comes to worse, in some cases, you cannot lose something on a hard drive which you change motherboards on. In that case, boot into safe mode...and remove EVERYTHING you can from device manager...then shut down. Change mobo's...boot up...load the freshest drivers you can, reboot, check for unknown devices, etc.

Changing motherboards that are identicle or similar chipsets isn't too too bad...changing chipsets totally, like from Intel to Via, etc....is pretty unstable.

If you can...start fresh from a blank slate.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

ive done such a thing... worked quite nice with XP havin all drivers and stuff. But i did format anyway.... dont know if i would of had to though

well i actually tried before and i noticed that when i play a dvd movie it can of goes slow sometimes so that may be one of the problems, because when i use the old mobo no problem .

thanks guys and girls (<<<< just in case ) i ll reformat tomorrow morning after i pick up my check OH YEAH CHECK
    When everything Fails, FORMAT C: solves it all....