Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Good & Bad places to buy from...

www.thinkgeek.com

I've ordered from them several different times. Very fast delivery even up here in Ottawa.

I ordered: a watch, CPU fan, Tshirts, PC light strips, leatherman wave and juice.

All were shipped that day in most cases and arrived at my door in 1 to 2 days! And didn't get stopped by customs!!

http://www.newegg.com

these guys have THE BEST customer service i've ever seen. AMAZING.. FaNTABULOUS EVEN!! great w/ rmas and friendly responses via email (rofl this is almost like i'm selling them to u, just order somethin, you'll see what i mean.. their system tells u how far along ur package is..etc..WOWZERS!!

^^I Must agree, I asked for an RMA via E-Mail, and a reply came within 20 minutes, verifying my RMA #..

I'd also reccomend:

www.mwave.com
    www.directron.com
    www.so-trickcomputers.com (cables definetly)

Most of the places I stay away from, are places selling stuff real cheap via pricewatch.. It usually ends up being some 3rd world country, cheap wannabe product.

test

Thumbs up

I have been very happy with TC Computers. They are not the lowest price, but they have backed my purchases fairly for 10 years. The staff will get answers if they are not certain on recomendations. They ship items as they get them, if not in stock. I have purchased over the 'net and over the phone. I have purchased accessories from several other suppliers for price purposes. Most are fair. I don't remember the name of the one or two that have bitten me.
    I want customer service when I need it. I don't mind paying a little extra to get it.

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720

Note for Torontonians!

Well I thought I'd make a little post for those who live in Toronto and wanted to know where they should go to buy the computer components and what stores do what very well, here is a life of stores I like to frequent:

Canada Computer Electronics:
    Niche Market: Computer Enthusiast Components and low pricing, usually good for people who know exactly what they want.
    Let downs: Very very bad customer service and the staff know jack **** and are rowdy. RMAing is very difficult at best, so before you buy, make sure it's EXACTLY what you want or else be prepared to have a hard time.
    Personal Notes: This place is great for the new and for the experienced enthusiast. They offer a wide array of components, but their tech staff sucks monkey and their sales staff are the scum of the earth, SCUM OF THE EARTH!! But if you know what you want or if you can't find at any of the other stores on college, then this is the place to go. BTW Treat the staff like the treat you, with a digusted look on your face, like you just steped on crap and that they are the crap you just stepped on. BTW website is updated daily.
    Phone Number: [416] 926 - 0107

Honson Computers
    Location: Futher west on college, close to Spadina. There is a parking lot on the left of the store.
    Niche Market: If you ever have a broken computer or need servicing, althought they charge a fair price for the work, they do the best repair work on all of college street. They have the most skilled and well informed tech staff. Also good RMA service, they also do networking consulting and wiring.
    Let downs: Higher pricing on certain items and limited variety of components.
    Personal Notes: Bought my first performance celeron 266 box here. Almost all my components have come from here, very good place to buy, as they offer competitive pricing on most components. Like the place a lot, very nice feel to the place, better then most stores. BTW their website isn't updated often.
    Phone Number: [416] 967 - 9333

Filtech Computers
    Niche Market: Low pricing and enthusiast crowd. They offer pricing compareble to Canada Computers. Friendly staff.
    Let Downs: RMA service is very tough, not very good. Very limited stock of items, wait time is required for some items, as they will go down to their warehouse to go get it for you, so if wait time is a issue, then get it somewhere else.
    Personal Notes: a good deal of people I know have bought stuff from here satisfied, but the RMA service is only so so and bordering on bad. They have friendly staff, they are al chinese, but they try their best to explain things to the customers. Website is update bi-monthly, not often enough.

Roger's Computer
    Location: A bit east on dundas (on the south side, same side as Mc Donalds), closest intersection is bathurst and dundas.
    Niche Market: Pure mom and pop shop, but service is the main thing. Most thing like Abit boards and Samsung ram is available by order to them and they offer competitive pricing.
    Personal Notes: I know the owner, very very nice guy, charges a very competitive price for all new components and can get most components by order, if you order on monday, parts are usually in on tuesday or wenesday. Also very good RMA service, if it's broken and in the warantee time limit, they will return it without the hassle of some college stores (but within reason, if it's burned or friend visibilly, then all stores say no to this.) Website isn't updated often, call in for availabillity.
    Phone Number: [416] 603 - 8333
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

Package2you
    www.package2you.com . They have great prices on some odds and end type products. If you are not very picky about what it is exactley that you are getting (I bought a keyboard originally made for a BarbeyPC just because it was the cheapest USB I could find, 3.29 to be exact) and don't need retail packaging I suggest you look through here.
    ---the Iranian Fury

Thumbs up Good

http://www.amamax.com/ they were pretty kewl, got me Noblesse case when promised, reasonable on price, didnt have to mess with cus service, so no advise there... all round good exp i spose

Do NOT buy from BuyAIB.com . They show one thing on their site, and once you order, they send you a cheap imitation. I've even heard stories of people who were given lower grade RAM than ordered. They offer some dirt cheap prices, but they make their money back on the 15% restocking fee they make you pay when you want to exchange an item that was wrong due to THEIR error. Not to mention shipping charges both ways.

If you look them up in the BBB, you'll see poor feedback as well. I've only heard bad things, and I just want to give a heads up to anyone who might consider buying from them.
    ~ The E Man

add azzo.com to the good list

they shipped in 2 business days..looks good to me..they're kinda expensive on some stuff tho.

Re: add azzo.com to the good list

ive been going to newegg since i posted that but i was just happy about the case and the speed so i felt the need to brag
    Last edited by Bastid; 01-28-04 at 01:30 PM.

www.mdg.ca

Horrible computers, worst tech support.. Had to take my computer back over ten times.. Still isnt working properly. They didnt install the Disk-drive right..

Never ever get a computer there.. Unless god comes out and commands it..

Worst place ever!!!!!

www.resellerratings.com/

this place is great look up the company for feed back on how the
    do business
    www.resellerratings.com
    http://members.aol.com/smoke47756/rt17.jpg

pentuim III 1.2 Tulatin
    asus tusl2-c mobo
    512 megs of ram
    100 gig Western Digital HD
    Sound Blaster Live Value
    Win 98 SE

I like BizRate.com .
    ~ The E Man

NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!! NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!! NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!NEWEGG!!!!

bought several thousand dollars worth of stuff fro them.....even getting the DOA's taken care of was a totally painless experience.

th HP store seems to have it together as well.....i havent got it yet but i ordered a usb floppy drive for my laptop from them....ordered it friday around 3pm and got a tracking number for fedex that nite.....thats a smooth operationthere buddy!

AMP
    Gigabyte ga-7n400 pro nForce2 mobo, Athlon XP3200, thermalright slk900, 1 gig corsair pc3200 cas2, radeon 9800pro, SB Audigy 2 ZS
    case= yeong yang YY-B0221 server cube,550 watt Antec true power,1 wd raptor 74 gig,1 34gig raptor (page) 2 wd 120gig se's raid 1, 1 120gig se. WIN xp Pro, Dual display samsung syncmaster 1100df 21in(Primary) Samsung syncmaster 955df 19in (secondary)".

a few of mine

www.emscomputing.com got a nice deal on a 4 port router, fast shipping etc

www.essencompu.com-- great buy on new mobo, and lowest price on a 40 gig barracuda 7200rpm H/D,

bought a case and a 128mb radeon 8500 from www.directron.com they blew it, i got a 64 mb and the case was all f-up etc, hydraulic switch for front didnt work etc
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee

My List

Newegg
    Bzboyz
    PCnomad
    DV Century
    BUYAIB

So far everything we've ordered from these have shown up on the expected date and was not broken. Since we've never had any need for a RMA I can't say anthing further.

NEWEGG seems to be taking longer to ship items lately. My last few orders have taking two days to ship.

Advanced Member
    coolerguys.com

Certified SG Addict
    I have to add Sidewinder Computers to my list. Great communication and fast shipping. On my brother's behalf I'll suggest that everyone stay AWAY from SubZeroPC. They still have not responded to his e-mails about a missing part of an order...and it's been six weeks.

Adamant.com

Have always had nothing but good luck with them and they ship Fast