Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: !!!SCANNING FOR UNCAPPERS OCCURRING!!!

Originally posted by illestdynasty

meaning? are you rolling ur eyes at me? lolz
    Share What You Know, Learn What You Don't.
    RapSource.Com

Hey Mad Doctor, just don't ever send the boys after me OK?
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!

I have two lists on my desk. One is the “red” list and the other is the “green” list. Those on the red list are people and/or groups that I really dislike... and I post that list on my office wall for my employees (updated weekly).

On the green list are people and/or groups that can come over to my house on Saturday and help me drink vodka. You’re name is on the “green” list.

I like expensive vodka. I provide the ice.

People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Originally posted by MadDoctor
    I like expensive vodka. I provide the ice.

LOLz.. you like it but don't provide it eh...
    RapSource.Com

I'll have to agree with liquid.
    Just think about how the internet works...... and clearly think how the main cable company must work.
    how they log things that go in...and go out...etc.
    isnt hard to see....that some guy with a normal cable modem is sitting there uploading at 2mb a second..or running an FTP etc.
    Or that when they go to ping your cable modem, its not there config file?
    I don't know, i havnt really seen an arguement that can say how/why uncaping wouldnt be like being instant-caught.

Originally posted by DiskDoc

LOLz.. you like it but don't provide it eh...
    Which list do you want to be on?

*edit* If you come to my house and bring vodka for me... your name goes on the green list. If you come to my house empty handed, and then you drink my vodka... your name goes on the red list.
    Last edited by MadDoctor; 04-12-02 at 06:46 AM.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Can I leave that up to you?
    RapSource.Com

uncapping is only cool if the cable company does it for you.

Hiya Tony B.

not sure how much ill be on boards but im back for a bit anyhow. will post more tomorrow or whenever.

JD
    NCTI - Certified
    SCTE--Member
    Specialized cable fixxer upper

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by jdblitz
    uncapping is only cool if the cable company does it for you.

Hiya Tony B.

not sure how much ill be on boards but im back for a bit anyhow. will post more tomorrow or whenever.

JD
    Hey, long time no hear...pm me about what's been going on... Hope everything's been going well
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Tucson, Arizona Processor: GenuineIntel Member #4896
    I haven't been entertained so well in a while.... watching the GDB peeps take on the GC/DSL peeps....
    If your browser can't read unicode, you should probably switch!

I'm not trying to stir this things up here I have check with many friends who work for cable comapines everyone says this topic is BS.

Unless your completely a moron and most criminals are the cable company can not catch you unless you are running a server with huge uploads..... if your just the casual / heavy gamer with no uploads it is very diffculft for the cable company to detect you.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by SpyCatcher
    I'm not trying to stir this things up here I have check with many friends who work for cable comapines everyone says this topic is BS.

Unless your completely a moron and most criminals are the cable company can not catch you unless you are running a server with huge uploads..... if your just the casual / heavy gamer with no uploads it is very diffculft for the cable company to detect you.
    Detection has nothing to do with the amount of traffic you having coming and going thru your modem...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

I don't think he was a casual user...just my opinion.

Why is it we always want what we do not pay for!
    Special rate to uncappers.
    Bail Bonds 24 hours a day. I take all major CC cards!
    Have Heart Will Fly!

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by MadDoctor
    The casual user gets caught:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...ttbi~mode=flat
    Read thru that entire thread...interesting, to say the least...

But like I said before, it's not the amount of traffic coming thru your modem that tips the cable company off that you've uncapped a modem...
    ------

Originally posted by Indy

Read thru that entire thread...interesting, to say the least...

But like I said before, it's not the amount of traffic coming thru your modem that tips the cable company off that you've uncapped a modem...
    So true Indy so true. It is very easy to tell when a person is using the wrong config file.

IMO if you want to screw around, go ahead.

But do it legally.

If you want to learn how your ISP caps your modem go ahead, but be smart.

I repeat, have fun, but do it LEGALLY!
    JeffL
    [size=1]Randomosity4.us
    Earthlink 7000/512

Matrox23

This comment...

"Your stealing my bandwith" You know I understand the reasoning to a point, but it sounds very childish. So next time you download an MP3 just think about you "Stealing" someone elses stuff. Or downloading a shareware program that doesnt terminate after the initial trial period yet you still use it.

Second, if uncapping is something they want to avoid (loosing bandwith isnt thier concern, loosing money is) better methods could be used to make "uncapping" nearly impossible for most users.

Ive never uncapped my modem, I have no reason too. Yet it makes me mad how easy it is to do. I think the broadband providers need to look at thier impact on "theft" rather then the individuals stealing from them. Lets face it we dont need speeds upwards to 3mbps to view webpages. We need the bandwith for MP3's, warez and bootleg movies!! Faster connections just mean more theft; therefore they are just as much to blame as the individuals uncapping thier modems.

So now "Your stealing my bandwith" turns into "Your stealing the bandwith I need to steal from someone else" ironic aint it??

I find the ATT Broadband TV ads very interesting. They say things like "faster downloads of MP3's".

Its not that the cable compaines are losing money...it's just they are not making the huge amount of monies they want. The CEO needs to justify laying off 10,000 people earn $56 million a year versus s/he $29 million a year.