Thread: Blocking Port 113?

Question Blocking Port 113?

Ok, I have another small question How do I block Ident port 113? I am using an Efficient Networks Speedstream 2614 Router and Norton Personal Firewall. I have looked around da Routers Configuration screen but have been unable to find any options to block Port 113. It probably isnt dat important but it would be nice to be able to block it. Thank you for your help

I would have thought Norton Firewall would have ports protected at default.
    Steve Gibson's site has a scan that has a link to what you have to do to close 113 in the results.
    Go there, do the scan and follow the instructions.
    Or try another firewall like Outpost, Sygate or Kerio (Tiny).

Croc.
    Croc.
    It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
    Winston Churchill
    Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.

Odd. I'd also think it blocked by default. My Netgear router blocks 113 by default and I have to physically open it to use some IRC servers.
    We Remember...
    9|11
    40 miles SW of Mt. St. Helens

Very odd...

I do not believe dat it is a Personal Firewall problem, but a NAT/Router firewall problem. I did dat scan Croc gave me and it is, indeed, showing ONLY port 113 CLOSED but not in stealth mode. All da others are in stealth mode. Da suggestions I saw pertain to settings for a Personal Firewall. I believe I need to do sumthin to my Router but I dunno wat? Any ideas?

Stealth means unable to be seen on the net.
    Closed means that it is able to be seen but cannot be accessed.

All ports on my system come up closed, not stealth using WinRoute Pro as the firewall.

Providing you have the necessities running you should be as safe as anyone on the net.

Croc.
    Croc.
    It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
    Winston Churchill
    Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.

Mine has also always shown closed, but not stealth and I have never had a problem. That's over 4 years using broadband and 24/7/365 connection. And I don't turn my computers off.
    We Remember...
    9|11
    40 miles SW of Mt. St. Helens

Port 113

Poert 113 is the "IDENT" port.....some routers block it by default and others don't.
    SMC Routers do not block ports 80 and 113, however, if you go to there web page they tell you how to block both ports, using the advanced setting on their routers.
    Nexland routers block both by default, however, in one of their screens it gives you the option of UN-blocking port 113.
    Go here to see what each port does.
    If having Port 80 and 113 stealthed is important to you, then I would visit the routers web page to see their FAQ and see if they have instructions to close those ports.

Go here and the guys over there would be more than helpful in that specific router.
    Last edited by fredra; 03-29-02 at 11:24 AM.
    A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

Thank you

Thank you for your help with this. I will have to contact either the people at dat board, and/or my Router manufacturer. I probably isnt important since it is almost impossible to get around a NAT firewall, I think, but it is still nice dat no hackers have my IP. LOL Anyway, thank you for your help.