Thread: Weird problem

frosty

Wink Weird problem

Hi,
    i have adsl and this problem that when i upload a file the download speed decreases alot , i had the same thing when i still had cable so i guess there must be another factor that causes this.
    I hope someone can help me on this

thnx in advance

Welcome to SpeedGuide.net...

Short answer: Not really a problem but the nature of TCP/IP.

Long answer:
    Originally posted by Kip Patterson
    Acknowledgements use one 64-byte packet per two 1500 byte packets received, a 50:1 ratio.

So, downloading at 6mbits requires 120kbits up. Not a problem.

If you are uploading, however, the download will be greatly affected. If you have another process that is uploading and using the full capacity of the line, the download will slow to approximately the same speed as the upload rate. This is built in to the TCP/IP protocol and is not a function of the connection type.

Kip

frosty
    well with the cable i can understand it a little
    but now i download at 546kb/sec and that is with no upload
    when i upload it's going down to 200kb/sec that is a hughe diffrence i think when i upload with 53kb/sec

Originally posted by frosty
    well with the cable i can understand it a little
    but now i download at 546kb/sec and that is with no upload
    when i upload it's going down to 200kb/sec that is a hughe diffrence i think when i upload with 53kb/sec
    As the quote points out, it has nothing to do with the connection type (i.e. applies to all connections including cable & DSL) and everything to do with TCP/IP. Downloading requires acknowledgment packets to be sent (upload). Thus, uploading--especially with an upstream that's easily saturated--while trying to download will result in a performance decrease.

This is why you need to limit the upload speed and number of connections in any P2P sharing software or it'll kill you download speed.