Thread: Okay body builders...

Okay body builders...

..I have one of these. Any tips? I've been using it consistently for about 6 months now. Been working on my bicepts, chest and shoulders (somewhat).

Nothin beats a couple of free weights. I just lay on an exercise pad on my back and "bench" an individual free weight in each hand. But I'm just recently starting back working out. Nothing like reviving your muscles from the atrophy of computer use.

I know free weights are the best, but I don't have the money and my mom uses this system (we split the cost).

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    tips.. ok.. work yer biggest muscles first then to the smallest..

eg... abs.. back... legs.. shoulders.. triceps... biceps...
    u know..

and also... if you plan to do cardio... do it before you do any heavy weight lifting... dunno why but me coach said so..

stick to yer plan and u'll be huge... I never did so I... u know... not good..

they say it's just basic principles... follow it and do it well.. increase yer weight every 2 weeks or so.. so you don't stay there.. or at least increase the number of times u do it... to get stronger and stuff...

good luck

its hard to tell exactly what centers are on the machine from the pic. i was very much into weight training for years. not too much anymore. couldn't manage to completely rid myself of the cigarettes and beer lifestyle.

at any rate, what kind of physique are you shooing for? trying to gain weight? lose weight? build mass? tone up?

at this point, the only thing i could submit as advice is general.

80% of an effective workout is mental.

///turns up Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" really loud///

it's all about focus. push yourself to the point of failure. real, actual muscle failure (until you know your limits, don't go berserk and hurt yourself). this is what stimulates muscle growth, and therefore increases strength.

i was dedicated to the "Mentzer Method". the man is dead now, but he knew how to train. look it up.

(*EDIT*) oh, and Immortal touched on one of the most importand parts....... dedication. tooo many people give it a go for 2 months and get discouraged when they don't have guns like Manfred...... check these guns out!!! ........ http://hoback.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~prajlich/manfred/ . also, keep a log of your routines (exercises, number of reps, and the amount of weight) and bodyweight.

Originally posted by Immortal
    work yer biggest muscles first then to the smallest..

eg... abs.. back... legs.. shoulders.. triceps... biceps...
    u know..
    Got it. Thanks.

if you plan to do cardio... do it before you do any heavy weight lifting...
    I try too, actually. My cardio is basketball. Though sometimes I hit the weights in the morning (7am) and hit the court in the afteernoon (3pm).

increase yer weight every 2 weeks or so
    Yeah, someone else told me that. I try to, but not always able to.

Originally posted by Macho-Module
    at any rate, what kind of physique are you shooing for? trying to gain weight? lose weight? build mass? tone up?
    Naturally big frame for my height/weight, but no arms to speak of.

its hard to tell exactly what centers are on the machine from the pic. i was very much into weight training for years. not too much anymore. couldn't manage to completely rid myself of the cigarettes and beer lifestyle.
    I do neither. Does that mean I got a better chance?

///turns up Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" really loud///
    LOL. I've got other music that does the trick.

it's all about focus. push yourself to the point of failure. real, actual muscle failure (until you know your limits, don't go berserk and hurt yourself). this is what stimulates muscle growth, and therefore increases strength.
    Got it.

i was dedicated to the "Mentzer Method". the man is dead now, but he knew how to train. look it up.
    Will do. Thanks.

Talk about putting words in my mouth.

By Faust

was dedicated to the "Mentzer Method". the man is dead now, but he knew how to train. look it up.

Lifting to failure and negitives. If your into weight loss, then do more of a cardiovascular workout. Go from station to station without resting and keep the reps at around 12 to 14.

If your going for both heart and muscle, do the same as above but keep the reps lower.

No matter what you read about free weights being better or cable machines being better, the main thing is resistance training is going to get results no matter the flavor.

sistostoral can probably give a few more pointers as well.

Don't do all your muscles everyday. Do back, biceps and shoulders one day and do Tri's chest and legs another.
    You don't get big lifting everyday, it's the 1-2 days in between that you get bigger. The days you lift you tear your muscles and the days you relax you let your muscles rebuild. That's the key.

All Ur Base R Belong 2 Us Christopher561's Avatar
    Originally posted by Christopher561
    DoNT MESs wItH ME!!
    SG RocKS! :2cool:
    Dude thE DiScriPtion of this SmiLy is rolling on ThE FlooR.

Re: Okay body builders...

Originally posted by glc1
    ..I have one of these. Any tips? I've been using it consistently for about 6 months now. Been working on my bicepts, chest and shoulders (somewhat).
    I'm up to 332 on frontal B presses.and 258 on back press C's.

Originally posted by nomahe
    You don't get big lifting everyday, it's the 1-2 days in between that you get bigger. The days you lift you tear your muscles and the days you relax you let your muscles rebuild. That's the key.
    I usually lift everyday, or at least Mon.-Fri. So you saying I should lift every other day?

Originally posted by exit1mile
    I'm up to 332 on frontal B presses.and 258 on back press C's.
    Your height? Weight?

You don't have to lift every other day if you pay attention to muscle groups.

nomahe outlined a very good routine. Why? It works your pushing muscles one day. (Chest, Triceps) Pulling muscles the next. (Back, Biceps) On the third, work your legs and maybe your shoulders and traps.

This works because your letting muscle groups rest between workouts.

Talking

Hey glc, the first thing that you should do is get her off of that machine and take a nice long shower with her... I am sure that she could help you exercise!

just wanted to back up the idea of not working the same muscle groups on consecutive days. here's the reason......

it takes muscle tissue on average approximately 48 hours to regenerate/heal. if you work the same muscle group every day, the tissues don't have time to fully rebuild themselves, and are torn down again. you burn lots of calories doing this, so getting cut up with lean muscle mass is easy, but the muscles don't really gain much in terms of mass.

ever notice how people who jog/run 10 miles a day don't have legs the size of trashcans? that's why. there is also the fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscle fiber factor which has a good deal to do with this, but no need to turn this post into a novel.

and as far as when is a good time to increase your reps, i suppose 2 weeks is a nice round number. but the best thing is to, as i said, keep a workout log. this will be a better way of kniowing when you are ready... be it in 4 days or 2 months. for my and my partner, who were on a muscle mass regimen, when i was able to hit at least 8 reps at a given weight for 2 or 3 workout cycles of that particular exercise, i would bump it up another dime or nickel (mostly freeweight exercises) depending on what exercise it was.

also, you mentioned not always being able to increase the weight. be sure to keep your body flowing with protiens and (especially before a workout) carbs. we used to eat a bunch of Tums before driving due to its high calcium content (calcium aids in muscle fiber actualtion).

anyways, i am blabbering. just wanted to toss in another $.02 .

Thaks all.

That was very helpful.