Thread: Crazy ass DSL!

ziGx

Crazy ass DSL!

I was wondering if anyone could answer any of the following questions or give me ANY info about my crazy ass dsl.
    NOW
    for the first part here:
    1) When i first got DSL i could download super fast! according to enternet's little connection program i was getting 2.0 megs down (in bits i think). So the dsl was great and i was loving it like a 19 yearold house wife, but then a strange thing started happening...Randomly after like 2 months of the service working perfectly, if someone picked up the telephone, it was mess up the dsl connection and the little status light on my modem would flash and do all that nice stuff, then establish a connection with the CO again. I belive it was the picking up of the telephone that messed it up because if someone picked up the fone, and talked long enough for the light to stop flashing and establish a connection to the CO, the dsl would work fine for the duration of their call. SO that was weird and i called PacBell (SBC) and asked them what the Eff was up.
    They sent a guy over to my house and he opened up the box on the side of my house which connects my home wiring to the incoming line (from the pole) and cut out -- what looked like -- a mini circuit board. The guy was really nice, so i asked him wtf it was for and he told me that it was super old and back in the day, the CO used it to test the lines....Some how... SO he removed the board, reconnected the wires, checked that my dsl worked, and went on his way to help other people.
    So for the first Q...ANYONE know what that little thing is? Was he correct? How come it interferes and any info is great.

SO this leads me to my second question/story...
    2) Now, ever since that guy 'fixed' my DSL, i have not been able to get over 40k (bytes) down! ANYwhere i download from, it doesnt matter, 40k. I dont know ANYONE with dsl that has such Crappy d/l speeds. I called Pacbell a few times when i realized i was some how limited to only 40k, but i got tangled in their 92392394583919039 "press here for this option"s and gave up.
    If anyone knows how come the dsl does this, or what its related to....it would be great.

Now my third and last (I know u all are happy im finally done) question is this....
    3) I have a friend who goes goto college and lives in the dorms, or whatever housing is issused with crazy fast internet connections. The strange thing is that with this girl ONLY (I realized this about 1 month ago maybe) i can download a 5meg mp3 from her in like 20 seconds. Its totally amazing. Now... WTF is going on here?! ANYWHERE else i download from ... its a constant 40k, yet with this one girl, its insanely fast....
    Im wondering if anyone here has a network perspective/outlook on this and might understand what is going on, or like with alll my questions...ANY additional info/links/people/ anything that can shed some light

I really really appreciate it, and thank you for taking the time to read this huge post.
    -Mario

Welcome to SpeedGuide.net...

1) Not sure, they probably just re-did all of the connections and made sure it was up to date.

2) They probably have you capped lower than you should be. Contact them and ask them what your cap is. Depending on the distance from the CO and line quality, you should be capped at 1.5mbps down and 128kbps up or about 185KBps/15KBps without overhead factored in.

3) Not idea, sorry.

ziGx

Smile hmmm

hey thanks for replying!
    (I was just in redwood city heh whipple!)
    anyways....
    Another thing...
    Ever since that post, im getting 150 k down

I think there is a poltergeist in my house or something.
    cause the title really fits my dsl "Crazy ass"
    lol
    But..if anyone has any info...dont be shy!

Redwood City, DAMN, I grew up not to far from there! I was in Palo Alto! I wish I could move back... Damn I love that area
    How soon those who gave nothing forget those who gave all..

3. Most all colleges are on T1s or T3s. When you download off a filesharing program, and you download off someone with that connection, you'll always get a get speed (I usually get up in the 100s). But most DSL/cable modem users are capped at upload around 40 or 50k/sec. That's why your download is slower.

Originally posted by Peripatetic
    3. Most all colleges are on T1s or T3s. When you download off a filesharing program, and you download off someone with that connection, you'll always get a get speed (I usually get up in the 100s). But most DSL/cable modem users are capped at upload around 40 or 50k/sec. That's why your download is slower.
    Doesn't make any sense though why only this connection yielded 100KBps+. Most of the internet should/will yield 100KBps+.

Yeah that's true.

ziGx
    I totally understand and agree with you... most of my friends went off to college and all have the wonderful and great connections that colleges offer....BUT with that single girl, i can download @ insane speeds, and NO other place offers me that type of speed.

Previously (Before i posted my message, yesterday) i could NEVER ever ever ever get over 40k down. But always when i would download from that one girl it would jump to like 257 or sometimes 300+ k
    I was just wondering what any possible reasons for this could be ?

Weird news: Like i said in a reply above, EVER since i posted my 3 questions i am getting a constant download speed of a little over 150k ! Its so great! after months of being STUCK @ 40k this 150k is like getting dsl for the first time all over again lol
    Last night i queued up on Grokster and downloaded a couple gigs haha
    =)

Tbag359
    The tech that came out was telling the truth about the mini circuit board you seen him take out it is called a MTU unit. The tel co. used it to tell if the problem on your line (if you reported one) was on the inside of your house or in there network.