As a note, please refer back from time to time to this thread as updates will take place in the form of edits to maintain the organization...

This thread is made from the responses and information of many of our frequent security forum members. Thanks goes to all of them! You guys are GREAT!!

Ken
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many different levels and ways to protect your puter.
This thread will list the basics of personal computer security. It is made in an effort to give people a quick and easy method to ensure the beginning of securing their puter. The minimal security measures that everyone online, from dial up to broadband, should have...

It will be organized by having a different post for each topic, and as previously mentioned, the updates will occur as edits. It will remain locked for obvious reasons, however, your comments, suggestions, questions, etc., are welcomed.

The programs that will have links provided are typically common, relatively easy to install and utilize, reasonable quality and as economical as possible, free in most cases, so no one will have an excuse not to try them.

We ask ourselves, what we have that someone else would want. Well, it doesn't have to be what someone would want from you, as oftentimes people merely like to cause problems for others. Some people will locate a prog that will do everything for them. All they do is run it and when it finds a machine that does not have any security, they have a field day with it. They have access to your box just like you do, and can cause you many headaches, possibly using your machine to harm others with out you even knowing...joou es oWneD by a script kiddie!

Virus and worms and bugs, oh my! So you can't boot up anymore? Why does my puter have a meltdown on Valentines Day? Why are people sending me nasty letters telling me that I gave them a virus? My puter sure is acting strange...

Adware & spyware are becoming more common and harder to catch. You visit a website, you're surfing along, and bam, here comes an assault of pop up ads, ever wonder why?...
Or you click a link and end up somewhere else. what the heck! Why is my homepage different... How come I am getting all of these ads for loans? Strange coincidence that I happen to be looking for a loan, does my puter have esp? Why am I getting all of these emails!

Any of this familar? Want it to stop? Well, you have to start somewhere, so here we go...