Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: CD Burning software

  1. #1
    Regular Member shadrach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    338

    CD Burning software

    OMG, Roxio Easy CD 5 sucks almost as bad as Adaptec EZ v4.

    What are you all using to burn CDRs? I mostly use Nero and CDRWin, but whats good for directly burning .MP3 files to an audio disc (decoding to WAV and burning on the fly?)
    Intel P4 2.8 800FSB / Asus P4P800SE / Corsair 1024MB PC3200 / Antec Sonata / TruePower 380w
    Asus GeForce4 Ti4200 / Seagate 200GB SATA / WD 200GB IDE / LiteOn 4x DVD-RW / Windows XP Pro SP2

  2. #2
    resident plumber Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    .
    Posts
    13,164
    i did 5 today with ez-cd-creator 5, converts them on the fly and they sound good.

    never tried nero but may soon.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~Vega64~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~4TB storage~6.4TB-ioMemorycard~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats

  3. #3
    Senior Member Grimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    9,597
    I've been using nero for years and love it.
    Crackin' skulls and breaking kneecaps.

  4. #4
    R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    The Sandbox
    Posts
    42,832
    Actually I've had no problems using Roxio v5.2 since the updates where released. Have you tried making sure your updates are 100%? I use cdrwin 4.0 and sometimes FireBurner for the good ol' bin/cues. I haven't had the opprotunity to explore and use Nero. People do swear by it though.

    I use VOB CD & DVD for burning and overburning avi's. A lovely burning program.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

  5. #5
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,800
    If your looking for accuracy, there isn't any software that can burn on the fly and have a perfect reproduction. All of them have slight errors. You might not be able to hear them but they are still there.
    For mp3 to cd's, I use Winamp to convert to wav then burn them.
    The latest version of Winamp's codec is as accurate as it gets. There are others that are just as accurate but not in burning programs.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    6,761
    I hate Nero (too many undocumented options, cumbersome interface) and Easy CD Creator 5.

    I like NTI CD-Maker 2000 Pro.

    I might try Nero Express.

  7. #7
    R.I.P. 2018-07-16 RoundEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Posts
    18,219
    Originally posted by glc1
    I hate Nero (too many undocumented options, cumbersome interface) and Easy CD Creator 5.

    I like NTI CD-Maker 2000 Pro.

    I might try Nero Express.
    I with you on that I like NTI CD Maker Pro the most too.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

  8. #8
    SG Enthusiast twwabw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    LeRoy, NY, USA
    Posts
    2,473
    Originally posted by RoundEye


    I with you on that I like NTI CD Maker Pro the most too.

    GREAT program, isn't it? I like it a lot. Only glitch, in Win2K / XP, user must be member of admin group for it to run. This is a pain in the a*s in a domain environment. I try to lock the machines down tight, but I have to allow users to be local admins on the workstation it's installed on. NTI support says it's a "slight problem", and they're "looking into it".
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

  9. #9
    SG Enthusiast Rainbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,929
    I use all the above mentioned software, I have installed, NTI, Nero, Easy CD, and CDRWIN. If I'm burning audio I use Easy CD If Im duplicating those hard to burn disks I use Nero or CDRWIN. Just got NTI havent had a chance to mess with it much. Thats my 2 cents

  10. #10
    SG Enthusiast Cornbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,573
    I have been using NTI here lately, bought it at CompUSA on sale for 20 bucks. Anyways, it works sweet, just as easy as Roxio/Easy CD but without all the bugs and such. I did have to update it though, but NTI had a free update and flawless install of the update, no complaints here.

    I also have Nero, but have noticed problems when burning audio cd's, so I no longer use it for my audio stuff.


  11. #11
    Game Freak Gaming-Module's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,987
    Originally posted by Cornbread
    I have been using NTI here lately, bought it at CompUSA on sale for 20 bucks. Anyways, it works sweet, just as easy as Roxio/Easy CD but without all the bugs and such. I did have to update it though, but NTI had a free update and flawless install of the update, no complaints here.

    I also have Nero, but have noticed problems when burning audio cd's, so I no longer use it for my audio stuff.
    CORNBREAD!

  12. #12
    SG Enthusiast Cornbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,573
    Originally posted by Macho-Module


    CORNBREAD!
    Hello buddy

    How you doin'?


  13. #13
    Advanced Member C.M. Weaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    901
    In my opinion for anyone who does a lot of burning of all kinds of CD's or images you should have these in your library:
    • CloneCD
    • Nero
    • Padus DiscJuggler
    • FireBurner


    Also, get WinISO to help construct you own ISO images or add/delete from existing images.

  14. #14
    SG Enthusiast Cornbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,573
    Another good one, good for audio, but it is kinda hard to use.

    Feurio


  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    6,761
    Originally posted by twwabw



    GREAT program, isn't it? I like it a lot. Only glitch, in Win2K / XP, user must be member of admin group for it to run. This is a pain in the a*s in a domain environment. I try to lock the machines down tight, but I have to allow users to be local admins on the workstation it's installed on. NTI support says it's a "slight problem", and they're "looking into it".
    That's not really a glitch. A lot of problems require admin privileges to function.

    Originally posted by C.M. Weaver
    In my opinion for anyone who does a lot of burning of all kinds of CD's or images you should have these in your library:
    • CloneCD
    • Nero
    • Padus DiscJuggler
    • FireBurner


    Also, get WinISO to help construct you own ISO images or add/delete from existing images.
    I've never needed anything but CloneCD to copy certain discs. Although, I've heard that FireBurner is almost as good.

  16. #16
    SG Enthusiast twwabw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    LeRoy, NY, USA
    Posts
    2,473
    Originally posted by glc1
    That's not really a glitch. A lot of problems require admin privileges to function.
    Gotta disagree with you there. It's a REAL problem, and the reason it doesn't function is it is not ASPI compliant. And since it's not, it needs access to dynamic registry changes with 2K / XP, which are only possible with admin priveledges. I don't know of too many desktop applications that require this kind of access.

    It defeats trying to set up a reasonable security policy on user's PC's, and that's my real issue with it. The thought of a typical user needing admin rights to burn a CD seems a little ridiculous.

    The only other mainstream app I've run into that has issues like this is AutoCAD. It requires all users to be at minimum, members of the power users group, for the same reason (registry). It too is a huge pain in the a*s, but there's a registry edit you can do to allow them full control over app, but nothin else.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    6,761
    Originally posted by twwabw


    The thought of a typical user needing admin rights to burn a CD seems a little ridiculous.
    Not really. Think of how businesses would use that.

  18. #18
    SG Enthusiast twwabw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    LeRoy, NY, USA
    Posts
    2,473
    Originally posted by glc1
    Not really. Think of how businesses would use that.
    I think I'm missing your point.... why shouldn't a user have a CD burner?
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

  19. #19
    LOL!!!!11ONEEXCLAMATIONT! master7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,359
    Originally posted by Stu_Grimson
    I've been using nero for years and love it.
    i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet

  20. #20
    Best In Show Girls Noevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Floating in FL Red Tide
    Posts
    14,191
    Originally posted by twwabw


    I think I'm missing your point.... why shouldn't a user have a CD burner?


    Too much chance for misuse that the company would be responsible for.

    We have a few users with Burners due to document storage required by the EPA. But as a general rule we wouldn't want users to have them. The chances are just too great that they would be misused. It's a liability issue that is a huge question mark. sorry, sounds Nazi but you can't take chances all the time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •