Hi everybody.

I am new member from the forum, but a follower since long time ago.
I have post this as part of another tread, but as the problem source apears to be another one I am going to post it here separate for I can have all the help that you people can give me.

i can say that in my case it os not the firewall.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

T.

This is taken from the last post of this tread: http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...threadid=56443

Re: was norton fierwall

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by MIKEUSING@HOME
Hi,
You were mostly correct. It wasn't the anti-virus, but the firewall causeing all my webpage problems. Really wierd huh? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

MIke
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by me:

Hi Mike

I am having the EXACT problem that you have had. I am running the Microsoft XP firewall that comes with XP pro on this connection. The estrange thing is that I was running it before when the things were ok and it was not producing problems.
I really apreciate a litle of more input about this issue.
I am going to quote a post on AMDMB forums that I have made explaining my exact problem, I hope I can have some help here.
I have to say that i am using the generic tweaks of Speedguide, for TCP/IP and browsing.

Thanks a lot for all the input. And I apologize for the long post.

Thorz.

-----------------------------------------------------
QUOTE from amdmb ASUS forum:

XP Cable Surfing delay problem help
I am reposting this here 'coz I didn't recieve any help on the networking forum. I hope that in this one that is always so helpfull I can find some answers.

Today I have had a problem with my cable provider. It was fixed after half hour but in the troubleshooting process I have observed that there are 2 things that I am not sure if they are ok or not and I am sure that some folks here can put them more clear to me.

I have a cable conection with a static IP that my system pulls via DHCP. I have everything configured as dynamic. I am using WXP pro. I have had my conection for one month and I am hapy with the speed of my downloads (70 KBps). My line is 512 kbps and normaly on the tests I apear as 571 kbps. My only problem is that sometimes I note long pauses when I am surfing, they come when I write an address on IE. After certain time (not so long must of the time, but still maybe 5-8 sec) the browser downloads the page very fast.

1. I can ping the defeault gateway, but I recieve not answer from the DHCP server, is this normal? To me this is extrange due that I can even ping the main webserver from the ISP and recieve answer. Can this be an indication of some kind of problem?

2. My 1st. DNS server (in the order allocated by my provider) never answer when I ping it, but the 2nd answers. I have sent an email about this to the ISP recieving nothing as an answer. This for my point of view can have something to do with my surfing gaps? If I think logical after writing an address on IE the machine queries first the 1st DNS server, and has to wait for an answer, then if it cannot pull the info it goes and queries the 2nd., that is the one that is working (based on the ping answers), that can be a reason for the delays isn't true?
What can I do about this? is it a good idea to asign manually the DNS using just the ip of the 2nd one? Or maybe these machines (the DHCPsrv and the 1st. DNS) are configured for not answering the pings? To me it looks that the delays come from name resolving issues, what do you think
-----------------------------------------------------
Now I have been 3 days using my 2nd. dns server as primary, and it apears to work litle faster, but I am still not happy with the speed (it still takes time sometimes for reading the pages).
I have another rare symtom: Sometimes I don't get the pages when I open them, just oage errors, and I refresh the browser and there they are. Also I lost often pics on the pages, I have to right click and press "show picture" because IE only shows the pics placeholes.
Can anybody tell me how can I be sure from what DNS server is my machine pulling informationin a giving moment? I would like to test because I have been speaking with one of the tech guys of the ISDN and dial up area of Telenor my ISP here in Norway, and he could not ping the DNS server either, and this is the primary DNS for all the costumers in Norway, so I really cannot think that they have this one down so much time, and as the tech told me it is possible that it has been configured to not answer ICMP packages.
I would like an answer from one of you savy net knowers out there, about how can I be sure which DNS my system is using when I am surfing on a determinate page. I would like to have inmediate infoemation when I am surfing for knowing if it is using my first or second dns server.
Another question: Is it possible that my machine is dns-querying a server that is not answering ping? I think that the answer can be yes, but I am not sure. I was thinking that DNS are make using TCP/IP, so if there is not ping answer, how can this be?
------------------------------------------------------
I have returned to full DHCP conf. I have the same speed like this, but still not recieving some of the pictures on the webpages. Have tried also another user on my xp machine, same results.
Is there a network diagnostics utility that I can use for be sure where is the problem located, I am thinking very seriously that its not me but my isp. What I cannot understand is how the HECK I can have so good file download speeds and that surfing is so screwed? I get 70 kbps with Getright so I can use all my chanel. If I download normaly with IE I get maybe litle less because it is not multitreathed.
------------------------------------------------------
Hi Seng
Thanks for posting, still with the problems.

quote:
Originally posted by SengFeng
a) Make sure Morpheus/Kazaa/Edonkey/etc (file sharing programs) are OFF. Just because you aren't downloading doesn't mean 4000 other people aren't trying to access your machine. This WILL kill you connection.
[/B]
Not using any of them, I have had Morpheus installed but I have uninstalled since they changed to Gnutella.

quote:
b) Remove any of the following apps if they exist: TopText, Gator, New.Net, Comet Cursor, WebHancer, BackWeb, eAccelerator. Most of these are CRAP applications, contain spyware, and odten wedge themselves between the OS and the DNS namespace section of the TCP/IP networking. If you get more than one thing monitoring your DNS lookups, you're asking for trouble (and then again, why would you want someone monitoring your web habits?)
[/B]
I have AdAware and have never had this spyware on my machine.

quote:
c) open a "DOS" prompt and enter "NETSH int ip reset logfile.txt" and reboot your PC (this totally rebuilds WinXP's TCP/IP stack since MS was so nice in not allowing it to be removed from network properties.
[/B]
This I didn't know. I have tryed it bu still are apearing picture placeholes every now and then. Its not constant and not related to a special website. I am suspecting a lot of a router that I see very slow on Visualroute. I am in Norway and I get better times from routers from America than from this one specially that is ocated in Nederlands, some other routers from my isp in Nederlands are showing ok speeds (80-100ms compared to 190-200 of this one in special). I dont get so much packet droping with visualroute from it, but if I run the traceutyl from easynews ie. it shows 10% constant packet lost. It could be also my isp cache server.

quote:
d) Was there a time it worked properly? Start> Programs> Accessories> Sytem Tools> System Restore and restore a config from when it last worked properly.
[/B]
Yes there was a time, just 2 weeks ago. I am not using System Restore, but I have a ghost image. I am gonna mount it to test.

quote:
If you have New.Net and can't get it uninstalled via Add/Remove, do a Google search on NewDot~2 and you will find a link to the manual removal instructions. [/B]
Don't know new.net
Thanks a lot for the help!