Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some one DID it --Read this

Some one DID it --Read this

Last edited by SpyCatcher; 03-14-02 at 04:58 PM.

Smithfield, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
    Me thinks this thread will get removed mate
    Main Computer:
    GA97X G3
    i7 4790K
    GTX960
    32gb Ram
    1TB Samsung 860 SSD
    NZXT Case

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    me 2

LOL!!!!11ONEEXCLAMATIONT! master7's Avatar
    Me Three :2cool:
    i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet

Me....what's after 3.
    Test Your Speed Here

Previously known as beaker1.

sweeeeet
    didn't get a chance to read it yet, as I'm at school right now though I saved the URL's

unfortunately this thread will get either edited or deleted..

IBTL!!!!

BTW...this is a known vulnerability, and while some of the info in BOTH articles is boolshhh.....it could put you on the right track.

This is one breach of AUP that WILL be enforced, if found.

I would be plenty POed if my service started to suck cause someone on my node was stealing all the bandwidth.. as far as I'm concerned this is a bad thing.

Interesting but bad!

Not sure if it is stealing bandwidth due the fact that every user is capable of 30 mbs up & down. Problem is isp providers don't make it available. Is it right to do what this person did? I'm not sitting on a jury right now with actually facts presented to me that would enable me to make a decision. "So why are you"?

Let me present this to you:

Is it stealing bandwidth to tweak your settings to get more bandwidth than your neighbor simpley becuase they don't know where to get tweaks or how to apply tweaks?

Is it stealing to overclock your PC to 3.8 mhz? After all you only bought 1.8 mhz?

Is it stealing bandwidth if you tweak the isp companies "modem"?

Is it still stealing;

If you tweak your own modem that you purchased?

There are arguments for both sides, you have free will to choose. In business or anything else in life that worships money people will do things that they normally would not do.

SG Enthusiast
    At this point I see no reason to remove the thread. This approach to uncapping has gotten enough publicity that anything we do is not going to stop it.

Seems like a couple of modem manufacturers have some explaining to do. DOCSIS modems MUST NOT accept configuration files from the LAN interface.

Kip

I just did mine.

3.3mbps down 1.8mbps up.

Every "DOCSIS certified" modem can be hacked at this point. I didn't believe it a little while back, but it's not too hard to do.

Originally posted by Cable_Dood
    I just did mine.

3.3mbps down 1.8mbps up.

Every "DOCSIS certified" modem can be hacked at this point. I didn't believe it a little while back, but it's not too hard to do.
    what modem you got?

Will the 3100 surfboard modem work with this?

Blog Entries
    Just a warning...our guys can identify the people that are doing this and ARE going after them...if you want to play around with it, just be aware of the consequences..
    Last edited by Indy; 04-04-02 at 03:15 PM.
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    Interesting..... well that's good to know..

A friend of mine is a engineer for a university and demonstrated how to modify the DOCSIS config file to me about 6 months ago. This is new news for the General public but the info has been around for awhile. When I found out I was amazed how easy it was to do. I consider uncapping stealing so I was not about to run off and start posting how to steal bandwith. If cable providers properly set up their networks(Fully DOCSIS compliant) it would be impossible to do.
    Rig 1: Abit NF7-S 2500+ 2530@230
    Water Cooled System
    "Cather" LR White Water #87/Eheim 1250
    2x 256 corsair pc3500c2
    Softmodded 9500NP
    Rig 2:ASUS A7N8X XP2400+ 2387@217
    Gforce 3 250/560 12950 3dmarks

Indy... no offense but tech support is stating they are aware of this and are looking for it....Don't sweat the small stuff that really does not make any difference to anyone on the network. Remember the system is set up to handle 30 mbs per household up & down.

I would like to recommend high speed companies hired better qualified people.
    Offer better customer support (I can live with not getting my way all the time), then I can overlook the lack of understanding of their employment.
    Open up the service to all competitors which would make it price competitive.

These are just a few to start with... and by the way "if you do catch someone will it pay you personally any more"? Bet it won't ... so stop feeling like your saving the company... the company will not think twice about releasing you or saying no to year end bonus (unless your a corporate exective).

Best of luck to you....

PS: If you make a long distance phone call over the internet is that stealing from the phone company?
    Last edited by SpyCatcher; 03-15-02 at 01:20 PM.

Registered User therealcableguy's Avatar
    Originally posted by Indy
    Just a warning...our guys can identify the people that are doing this and ARE going after them...if you want to play around with it, just be aware of the consequences..
    Same here Indy! Uh Spycatcher, "if you do catch someone will it pay you any more"? You can be assured that we will not be getting any more money from someone in my market that we catch.I'm coming to pick up their/my modem personally.

Originally posted by Cable_Dood
    I just did mine.

3.3mbps down 1.8mbps up.

Don't you work for Comcast? If so, how can you get away with something ALL of us can't get away with?
    Mike W.
    ----------------
    AMD Athalon 1.0gig, 640meg SDRAM, K7SeM Board, RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet NIC, Maxtor ATA100 PCI Card, Maxtor 7200rpm 20gig HDD, Samsung 20gig HDD, LG Cd-RW, Iomega 100mgb Iomega Zip, 50X CD ROM, ATI Rage Fury Pro 128, ViewSonic A-72f, Windows Xp Pro and Windows 98se, Comcast Cable Connection, SG Optimizer

Originally posted by Mike_W

Don't you work for Comcast? If so, how can you get away with something ALL of us can't get away with?
    I think you answered your own question.