Thread: Upgrade to W2k Outlook Question

Upgrade to W2k Outlook Question

I just installed Windows 2000 on a hard drive. I need to know if it is possible to get the MAIL, FOLDERS, and SETTINGS off of my other hard drive that is running W98SE. What files do I need to burn to CD, and where do I put them?

Thanks,

DIDS

If you wanna save your bookmarks you gotta copy your "Favorites" folder from your old HD.
    As for your mail youll need to copy the address book wab from your old HD.

Your post subject says "import to W2K Outlook", but I'm assuming you mean outlook express- there is no such thing as "Win2K Outlook"

You don't actually need to "put" them anywhere. You can import all of your messages and address book into the new install. On you old PC, generally your outlook express files are found under windows\application data\indentities<your old identity>. I don't recall where the address book is stored, but through windows explorer, just do a search for *.wab, and you'll find it.

Now, on your new OE, choose file>import>messages, and choose your prior ver. of OE, and browse to the location of the files, be it a CD you copied them to; a network share; another HD, whatever. Choose import all folders, and away you go! It will import all your old msgs. into the new install. You can then delete all the old stored files. Do the same thing for your address book- file>import>address book, then browse to its location.

That's it!
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Sorry about that. I actually mean that I took out my old hard drive that had W98SE on it and was running Outllok 2000. I replaced it with another hard drive that has Windows 2000 on it. I want to get all my stuff (Email, Email Folders,ETC..) from Outlook 2000 from the W98SE hard drive. So I need to know what files I need to burn to a CD from the W98SE hard drive so I can place them where on the Windows 2000 hard drive. Since Windows 2000 is a little different. I need to know where to put those files on the Windows 2000 hard drive.

Thanks,

DIDS

Ahhh.. gotcha. So, it IS Outlook. In that case, they are in pst files. They should be transferred to the profile folder you'll be using when logged on to Win2K. For example, if your user logon is dids, it would be under Documents and Settings\dids\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The file extension for full blown Outlook is .PST....which is your personal folders. Just take that file, add your new personal folder, point it's location to this existing .PST File...and bam, it's back.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!