Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cooling problems

cooling problems

hey all...i've got some heat issues with me pc....at idel i get 60 degrees celcius...it runs fine but i wanna get that temp down...here are a few pics of my pc:

the lower part of my case with my mobo and hard drive

the upper part of my case with my psu, dvd drive and cd-rw drive..there is only a small opening to let the wires and ide cables through...will that be enought to let air flow throught is i add 2 fans above my psu

the rear of my case. i can add 2 80 mm fans but i'm not sure that will remove the hot air around my heat sink....i want to add a fan were my heat sink is to get rid of the heat that builds up around my mobo but i can't cuz its rescesed and wont alow me t place an 80 mm fan there!

jsut showing the placement of the 2 80 mm fan openings and the small hole for the wires and ide cables

a closer look at the front of my case where the intake fan is located

my heat sink and the ares that is rescesed

Re: cooling problems

Originally posted by mvern2
    my heat sink and the ares that is rescesed

i would put a fan right behind your heatsink on the back of the case, to get some airflow going past the heatsink.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~Vega64~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~4TB storage~6.4TB-ioMemorycard~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats

theres no room for a 80mm heat sink ther cuz its rescesed. i don't have a large enought opening

I have the same case. I put an Enermax PSU in it and they have a second fan on the bottom of the PSU pulling air away from the CPU. Get rid of that Heatsink and buy a "quality" heatsink of your choice. Your current Heatsink/Fan Combo looks like a low end Thermal Take. BTW: up on the back top of the case is a perforated grill. Cover it with tape or the fans up top will pull air in from there and not up from the bottom of your case.

first off id get a better hsf,then id put some fans in the top of the case
    Will Work For FSB

First ditch that peice of junk fan&heat sink.

try something like this http://www.ncix.com/Canada/productdetail.cfm?sku=6483
    The NastySasky:
    Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz| eVGA X58 SLI | 12gigs Dominator XMS3 1600 | 2 ASUS ENGTX 470's | Intel X25 120Gig SSD + 2 WD Black 500's | Pioneer DVD/RW | LG Blu-Ray Writer | Antec 1000Watt | WarMachine M1 Case

i was thinking of getting the dragon orb 3 or the volcano 7 or the volcano 7+.....i also want to get a better intake with a higth cfm and 2 80mm fans and place them where the 2 perferated grills are at the back...is that a good idea or will that screw up my air flow in my case?

Go for it! You're on the right Track.

http://www.coolerguys.com/

Has a thermalright SK6 with fan right now for $30usd.

Get the volcano 7 (has the new thermal sensor and is a lot quieter) and the two up top will be fine....Id say have them pulling air in...unless your front ones are..then have them going out....but either way it will DEFINATELY cool off the PSU more....and maybe your drives if its pulling air in.
    AMD Athlon 1900+ XP | ASUS A7V266E mobo |Visiontek Xtasy GeForce3 Ti500 | 40gb HD 7200 | 16X DVD | 256mb DDR | SBlaster Audigy XGamer | Windows 2000 | Cooler Master ATC-210 Azure
    Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    this dude needs some pimpish SG title lol

will the colcano 7 fit on my mobo...i got an Asus A7V 266 mobo....i know those volcano 7's are huge!

ANY case fans will make a difference,use the two 80mm mounts in the top rear and suck out all the hot air(heat rises)and I bet that will cool things down alot!and try and put atleast one intake in the lower front of the case.and make sure you use arctic silver II on the cpu and hsf.
    read here all that should help with a minimum of $
    and even some rounded fdd and ide cables might help a little.

ok...i've done some reasearch on fans and stuff.....i was thinking of getting 2 thermaltake 80 mm fans @ 37 cfm & 30 dB for my rear exhaust....for my intake i'm just keeping my cooler master fan rated at 33 cfm and i'm also getting the volcano 7 heatsink....is that heat sink too big for an Asus A7V 266 mobo? is all this ok or will that screw up my air flow...and suggestions?

I bought a Volcano 7 for my mobo (A7v266e) and from my test fittings (whole comp isnt together yet) it fits perfect. Close to the ram but with enough room to get a finger between the two (which in my opinion is a lot of room. Doesnt restrict anything. I say go for it!
    AMD Athlon 1900+ XP | ASUS A7V266E mobo |Visiontek Xtasy GeForce3 Ti500 | 40gb HD 7200 | 16X DVD | 256mb DDR | SBlaster Audigy XGamer | Windows 2000 | Cooler Master ATC-210 Azure
    Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    this dude needs some pimpish SG title lol

ya get the volcano 7 or 7+ and any exhaust fans u can would be great, use thermal paste as well!

cleaning up the cables a bit might also help..

i just ordered a volcano 7 heatsink witha tube of arctic silver III and 2 thermaltake 80mm fans to put at the back of my case abouve the psu....it should come in about a week or so....i'll let u guys know when it comes in and i'll post some new pics with everything installed....i'm also gonna try cleasing up my case while i'm at it too!

LOL!!!!11ONEEXCLAMATIONT! master7's Avatar
    ahh!!! .bmp files!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!
    i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet

Originally posted by master7
    ahh!!! .bmp files!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!
    i just noticed that , thank god for broadband.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~Vega64~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~4TB storage~6.4TB-ioMemorycard~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats

I don't think adding fans above the shelf are going to do a bit of good. If you can't add one next to the parallel port (even on the outside), you should at least cut an opening there.

You can improve the airflow through the front fan by cutting away the sheet metal in front of it. Better yet use a 92mm fan there.
    "Mr President, you have big balls" - Dominica prime minister Eugenia Charles to Ronald Reagan after the invasion of Grenada, 1983

"We win and they lose. What do you think of that?" - Ronald Reagan, 1977