Thread: My CPU install

My CPU install

is not going too well. Let me say this is not the first Socket CPU I have installed so I have a little experience.

I can't get the CPU to drop into the socket.

I'm trying to put a P3 1000 on an Asus TUSL2-C mobo.
    Now in my experience the CPU when aligned correctly should just drop in the socket pretty easily ....yes?

I know I need to align pin 1 to the correct corner right.

on top of the CPU there are two corners that have a small dot, one corner that has a slightly larger dot and one corner has a triangle marking instead of a dot like the other three corners, I'm assuming this is pin 1. The only way the holes line up is if pin 1 is opposite of the locking arm. But even then the CPU won't drop in.

But in my Asus setup manual it says this "Position the CPU above the socket such that its notched or marked corner matches the socket corner near the end of the lever."

There is a photo showing pin 1 aligned with the locking lever when in the upright position.

Am I missing something here ?

Pull up lever, align corner on chip with yellow triangle with the corner of the socket that the upright latch is coming from, make sure cpu goes into socket with little or no force, pull down lever, install HSF.

i pushed mine in very slightly making sure i didn't bend nething...

Originally posted by Macho-Module
    Pull up lever, align corner on chip with yellow triangle with the corner of the socket that the upright latch is coming from, make sure cpu goes into socket with little or no force, pull down lever, install HSF.
    Let me make myself clear here, I've tried that already but if I align the triangle corner with the corner of latch then the pins on CPU won't match holes on socket.

OK here's your problem. You have the ASUS TUSL2-C mobo. This is designed to run FCPGA2 chips like the new PIIIs at over 1Ghz, and the new celerons. The PIII you're trying to install is a FCPGA, notice it's missing the '2' . You're trying to put the wrong cpu in the wrong socket, it simply won't work. You'll either need a new cpu with the FCPGA2 socket, or a mobo that supports FCPGA. Hope that helps.

Bob
    "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."--Steve Prefontaine

Hi the_mp3_refuge, thnx for ur help ...now I feel so dumb.

I think ur right and that would explain the problem I am having.

I didn't realize P3 came in FCPGA and FCPGA2, I thought the FCPGA2 was just the 1.1 cpu and up.

Oh well live and learn.

Ok good morning I have a little update here.

I checked the box that my CPU came in and on the side there's a white sticker with bar codes and numbers, at the top it says "Package: FC-PGA2----System Bus 133-MHz"

So I'm assuming I have the newer chip which my mobo supports.

This is the chip I have here
    Last edited by cybotron r_9; 03-10-02 at 09:51 AM.

well it only fits one way so try turning it every way and putting it in, u may have to push lightly on it.

Well on the chip/pins and the socket on the mobo there are two conrers that are like beveled, two corners closest to the ATX power & chipset

All you have to do is line up the two beveled corners properly. Some times they can be a "bit" snug .. also look at the chip down the rows of pins and see if any are bent or out of alignment.

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket370/tusl2-c/overview.htm

Spec Summary

Intel® FCPGA / FCPGA2 Pentium III® Tualatin™ and FCPGA Pentium III® Coppermine™ and Celeron™ CPUs
    Intel® 815EP chipset
    66/100/133 Front Side Bus Support

wow I finally got it ...man that mutha was tight.

I just kinda shimyed it in putting slight preasure as I went.

I was used to my AMD k6-2 taht fell right in. Just didn't want to screw anything up.

Thnx to all who cared.