Thread: Clunking HDD.....

Unhappy Clunking HDD.....

Every now and then I get a rather nasty clunking sound coming from my case.

The first time it happened was a few nights ago when I thoght some loose cables had dropped but upon further investigation... No, no loose cables anywhere in sight.

Then came time number two when I thought the same and checked again and yes, you guessed it no loose cables but this time I recalled it resembling a HDD having the power removed and reconnected almost instantly i.e. just off long enough for the heads to crash but not long enough for the drive to lose speed and need to spin up again.

After this time I ran scandisk and it found a few lost clusters in lost chains or something along those lines and it managed to fix them all so I thought oh good no problems.... until now when I get the same clunk but no problems after running scandisk, norton utils and varying other bits and pieces to try and find what`s wrong.

So does anyone know what the script is with this clunking drive?? Is it about to die on me or does it want to start its own band??? **Maxtor and the lost Clusters**

Hi caveman, I have a 3 yr. old WD 13 gig cavier that does the same thing now and then. JUst clicks twice like its powering off then on again. Nothing happens just kinda startles me when it happens. I don't have a clue what it could be. It's been doing this for at least a couple yrs.

Advanced Member NuclearHeadache's Avatar
    Try touching the power connecter when the drive is on. If it makes the same noise, you might have a bad connection. Happened to me once, I replaced the molex and everything worked fine.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Western Digital
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Isaiah 2:10

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

OK bud thanx I`ll give it a try

Righty then, no luck on the dodgy power connection front

So, in your experience(s) should I start looking around for a new/replacement drive

I'd back up all data, which you should do on a regular basis anyway, and see how long the drive lasts you. If it's just noisey and you don't experience any performance loss, keep the drive. BTW how big of a hdd are we talking about and how old is it?
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

it`s the one in my sig, Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm and about two months old

Originally posted by caveman
    it`s the one in my sig, Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm and about two months old
    Oh.....
    Like the one in my sig
    The one I had to RMA 3 times. Call Maxtor and tell them your drive is dead. They'll replace it.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro