Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big HDD problem

Advanced Member NuclearHeadache's Avatar

Big HDD problem

The other day I decided to give my Maxtor a break by making it a storage drive and installing XP onto my WD. I used the WD diagnostic floppy to partition and format the drive, then through DOS, I installed XP.

Then I removed the cable on the WD and made the Maxtor a master drive. I partitioned and formatted it through DOS with no system files (no /s).

I then placed the 2 hdds on the same cable, made thw WD the master and the Maxtor the slave, boot up, I'll then see a bit of the XP loading bar and blammo, a nice big OL BSOD.

Now when I remove the Maxtor from the cable making the WD the only drive, the OS boots up and everything works fine but I can't seem to use the Maxtor.

Any ideas?
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Western Digital
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Isaiah 2:10

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

set the maxtor to cable select, if that doesnt help i'd allow the drive to have system files to see if that helps.

also try and get teh bsod error u get so we can find its meaning

Thumbs up

Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    set the maxtor to cable select, if that doesnt help i'd allow the drive to have system files to see if that helps.

also try and get teh bsod error u get so we can find its meaning
    Will do. thanks
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

No go. I set the Maxtor to cable select and I still got the same error.

A problem occured and windows must be shut down to prevent any damage...blah, blah

Technical info

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF9E9640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

need help bump
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

why not try putting system files on it and see if it will run like that? If it does you know where your problem is...if it doesn't you've ruled that out. I've never had HD issues..hope i never do
    spec-
    Rig #1- AMD XP 2400+, A-Bit KR7A/266, Gainward Geforce3 ti200 64mb Golden Sample, 1GB Crucial DDR, 40 gig WD HDD (7200), XP PRO, Vantec Stealth 420 PSU, Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Rig #2- P4 2.4c, Abit IC7 800 FSB /w onboard sound, Radeon 9700 Pro 128, 1 Gig Corsair 3200 XMS, Dual (SATA) 36GB WD Raptor's in RAID 0, XP Pro, Antec Truepower 400
    Rig #3-AMD Barton 2500+, Albatron KX600 (via), 1 gig Corsair 3200, Radeon 9600 Pro 128, Seagate 80 gig HD, Antec Truepower 400

http://support.microsoft.com/directo...EN-US;Q122926&

Troubleshooting STOP: 0x0000007B or "0x4,0,0,0" Error

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows NT Workstation versions 3.5 , 3.51 , 4.0
    Microsoft Windows NT Server versions 3.5 , 3.51 , 4.0
    Microsoft BackOffice Small Business Server versions 4.0 , 4.0a

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
    When you restart your computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:

STOP: 0x0000007B Inaccessible Boot Device
    Setup has encountered a fatal error that prevents it from continuing. Contact your software representative for help. The following status codes will assist them "0x4, 0, 0, 0"

CAUSE
    This problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions exists:

Your computer is infected with a boot sector virus.

A device driver required by your boot controller is not configured to start at boot time or is corrupt. If during a WINNT /B installation no mass storage device was detected.

A resource conflict exists between the boot controller and another controller in the system or between SCSI devices.

Drive translation is not being performed or was changed.

The boot volume is corrupt and cannot be mounted by Windows NT.

Information in the Windows NT registry about which device drivers load at start up is corrupt.

If this error occurred during Windows NT Setup while reading Windows NT Setup floppy disk 2, you may have the Drive Swapping option enabled in your computer BIOS.

Using winnt /b as the installation method may present a timing issue for the disk controller. The controller is not given enough time to respond and identify itself and is therefore detected incorrectly or not at all.

If you run Setup from a bootable SCSI CD-ROM drive, you receive a STOP 7B error message because Setup does not allow you to add a third-party SCSI driver when you boot from the SCSI CD-ROM.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, use the appropriate method:

Method 1
    Check any diskettes for viruses that may have been used in the computer since the last time you were able to successfully restart Windows NT.

NOTE : You may need to use more than one brand of virus detection software to detect and remove various viruses.

If a virus has infected the Windows NT computer and a virus detection program cannot remove the virus and repair the system, you will have to reinstall Windows NT. For more information on how to protect the boot sector from viruses in Windows NT, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

ARTICLE-ID: Q122221
    TITLE : How to Protect Boot Sector from Viruses in Windows NT

Method 2
    Windows NT requires a mini-port driver to communicate with the boot controller. If the device driver is corrupt or incompatible with your controller, you can replace it by copying a new drive to the %systemroot%\system32\drivers folder or through the Emergency Repair process. On computers running on a SCSI controller or ATAPI enabled systems, SCSIPORT.SYS and DISK.SYS (Windows NT 4.0 only) device drivers are also required to successfully boot.

If you attempt a "WINNT /B" installation, you may receive a STOP 0x7B before mass storage detection takes place. To work around this, when the computer reboots after the initial file copy, press F6 as soon as "Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration" is displayed. This will allow you to add a mass storage device at the very beginning of text mode setup.

ARTICLE-ID: Q125933
    TITLE : STOP 0x0000007B: Inaccessible Boot Device After Removing CD-ROM

ARTICLE-ID: Q164471
    TITLE : Replacing System Files Using a Modified Emergency Repair Disk
    Method 3
    If an IRQ or I/O port address conflict exists between your boot controller and another controller in the system, Windows NT will either hang or stop with the Stop 0x0000007B error message. If you recently added new hardware, remove the new hardware or re-configure it so it does not conflict with the resources of any other installed controllers.

Check the SCSI chain for proper termination. Remove any non-essential SCSI devices or check to ensure each SCSI ID is unique.

ARTICLE-ID: Q102651
    TITLE : Required Settings for Adaptec 1510 SCSI Host Adapter
    Method 4
    The Windows NT Boot partition must exist within the first 1024 cylinders of the boot device. This is due to restrictions of the INT-13 BIOS call used to start the operating system. Check your CMOS settings for LBA support on IDE based systems, or your SCSI controllers BIOS settings for enabling drive translation for drives greater than 2GB.

ARTICLE-ID: Q114841
    TITLE : Windows NT Boot Process and Hard Disk Constraints
    Method 5
    If the file system is corrupt and Windows NT cannot mount the boot volume during start, move the drive to another machine running Windows NT and run the CHKDSK command on that drive. Alternately, attempt to create a parallel installation of Windows NT on the drive in a separate directory. The Windows NT Setup program checks the integrity of the volume prior to copying files and may fix some problems.
    Method 6
    If the SYSTEM Hive in the Windows NT registry is corrupt, it may prevent Windows NT from loading the Mini-port device driver required by the boot controller. To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods:

Start from the three Windows NT setup disks and use the Repair utility. When prompted, select to inspect registry files, and then only replace the System Configuration Registry hive. This hive contains information about which device drivers and services start during start up.

Install a parallel copy of Windows NT into a separate directory, and then use Registry Editor to modify the System hive in the Windows NT registry to correct the invalid or missing information.

ARTICLE-ID: Q165748
    TITLE : How to Disable a Service or Device that Prevents NT from Booting
    Method 7
    Many computers are equipped with a 5.25-inch and a 3.5-inch floppy diskette drive in one single unit. When you install Windows NT on a computer with this floppy drive unit, the STOP 0x7B error message may appear during Setup while Windows NT Setup disk 2 is being read. To resolve this problem, disable the Drive Swapping option in your system BIOS. For information about correcting this problem, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

ARTICLE-ID: Q126423
    TITLE : STOP: 0x0000007B "Inaccessible_Boot_Device" During Setup Disk2

Method 8
    Install using the three boot floppies, a bootable CD, winnt or winnt32. Install the device driver recommended by hardware vendor if one is available.
    Method 9
    Install using the three boot floppy disks. Install the device driver recommended by hardware vendor if one is available.

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720

uggh

I feel a format coming on.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

Ok... I put the system files on the hdd and still no go. Any other ideas?
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

I hate Maxtors. I should be able to just partition and format the drive and pop it in for storage... but no, not ever
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Try using the latest version of MaxBlast. It has a section on how to set up the drive and which jumpers to set.

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by NuclearHeadache
    I hate Maxtors. I should be able to just partition and format the drive and pop it in for storage... but no, not ever
    I had a similar problem with a HD in Windows 2000, so I unplugged the drive, made sure the OS loaded properly and then shut down. I plugged the other hard drive back in and everything booted correctly. I then formatted, partitioned, etc. from Disk Management instead of floppy boot disk. Might work...

...hopefully!

Certified SG Addict
    Oh, and another time I'd changed the drive selections around in the BIOS (i.e., disabled Primary IDE since I was using a controller card) and I kept crashing on boot. When I set them back to defaults everything worked correctly as well.

Well, well..... guess who's sending me a new hdd...
    The damn hdd won't even low level and now my bios doesn't even wanna see it. Then of all things to happen the harddrive dies It just crapped out on me. No power what so ever. I tried it in a different system and nothing.

I got my first Maxtor 6 months ago, 3 months later it had to be replaced. now 6 months later this one has to be replaced. Any bets on what will happen 3 months from now?

I lucked out this time because I had no important information on the drive. But the last time I did have stuff on it and I nearly went apocoliptic on my computer.

They're good drives when you get a good one. Guess I just had a run of bad luck. When I get the replacement I'm not installing an OS on it ever. The new drive will be only for storage because I don't need these nuclearheadaches anymore

And thanks to those of you who replied to this thread.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720

hmm

just for refference, which kind of drive did you get? A D740X/D540X series (ata133/liquid bearings) or a regular ata 100 drive with ball bearing?
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

i've been using maxtor hard drives for 7 years, only one to die on me is the 5 gig and i dropped it many times mistreated it and even had a magnet on it at one point, so i cant blame maxtor, and they do have good phone support compared to dealing with WD on a friends HDD.

Re: hmm

Originally posted by terrancelam
    just for refference, which kind of drive did you get? A D740X/D540X series (ata133/liquid bearings) or a regular ata 100 drive with ball bearing?
    Just a regular ball berring diamond max. i actually hear good things about the ATA133 liquid berring Maxtors.
    But I'm not taking anymore chances.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    i've been using maxtor hard drives for 7 years, only one to die on me is the 5 gig and i dropped it many times mistreated it and even had a magnet on it at one point, so i cant blame maxtor, and they do have good phone support compared to dealing with WD on a friends HDD.
    I've never had to call WD so I can't say if their support is good or bad but Maxtor support is great. No Hassles what so ever.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

So today I got my replacement and still the same problem. What gives? I keep getting this BSOD

I've done this many times before but for some reason I can't get this drive to work.
    Any suggestions?
    And no, I can't get a refund
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Well, with NT, the best way to add drives as an extended partition is do run NT setup with only your primary hard drive connected. Once NT is up and running, plug in your second hard drive (which has NOT been partitioned and/or formatted), and use Disk Administrator/Manager to add the second hard drive as extended partition.

I have no idea why peeps would want to "SYS" any hard drive that you're installing NT to, since Windows 95 came out, there hasn't been a reason to "sys" hard drives. Just plain format, and run setup...period. Probably confusing the system as to which partition is supposed to be active. Which is another reason the above method is more reliable.

Also, with NT, use NT's setup to partition and format the partitions, not a DOS boot disk.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!