Thread: Linksys BEFSR41

Linksys BEFSR41

well, here's my problem. i recently put together my bro's new computer with a built in lan card and now, my internet will stop working, ill have to unplug my router for 10 seconds, then it works fine again.

now, im not sure what the problem is. he's running window 2000 professional and im running windows xp. before that computer hes on now, he was on my old machine with windows 2000 and it ran perfectly fine with the router not screwing up or anything.

i have tried everything, does anyone know how to fix this problem?

any help would be great. if you guys need anymore specs just let me know. ill do anything to fix this problem.

also, when he doesnt use his computer, it tends to be perfectly fine. i think its only when he uses kazaa or some other peer to peer sharing program, if this helps any.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Firmware version of the router is fairly up to date?
    Patch cable going to your bro's computer is a good one?
    If you're using PPPoE DSL, there is no PPPoE software on your bro's computer?
    Run adaware on his computer to get rid of the spyware that most of those P2P programs install on the computer.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

thanks man, i just ran ad-aware and upgraded firmware. hopefully this will work.

we are on cable and the cbale he is using is a good one.

ill see tonight if it worked or not.

well, my bro wasnt on kazaa and it turned off again. im still unsure what the problem is.

if anyone can help me out, thatd be great.

Thumbs down BEFSR41 - SAME problem

I have the same problem. Only difference is that I experience the issue whether or not the other computer is used. It was perfectly fine when it was connected to the original computer. I've had the modem replaced, cables replaced, firmware is updated, gone through hours of support with ISP and LinkSys. I'm fed up. Only things I haven't changed is the NIC card and the router. But please, if you find a solution, email me!

Are both computers having problems getting online or just the newly built one?

Both Computers are facing bad lags, and ofcourse the connection drops are affecting both as well. Lag is really bad for UnrealTournament and while I'm downloading via browser or FTP Client. I've set DMZ to the internal IP address for my computer, basically gone through all the settings to improve my connection - yet no luck

Originally posted by typeVR6
    Lag is really bad for UnrealTournament and while I'm downloading via browser or FTP Client.
    If multitasking online causes lag in games, then it's because you are saturating your connection. Are you on cable or DSL and what are your caps?

Originally posted by typeVR6
    Lag is really bad for UnrealTournament and while I'm downloading via browser or FTP Client.
    Please clarify this statement. Are you trying to game and do other stuff online simultaneously?

Sorry. What I'm trying to suggest is that when I attempt to download I experience lag and at most time the connection drops. I also experience great lag while I'm attempting to play UnrealTournament.

I relocated the modem in the room, changed rj45 cable going from the Modem to the Router, and new rj45 from router to Computer - now it's even worse. Does this help?

BTW, I'm on Cable.

Don't know if this helps or not...

Saw this on the tweaking forum,, thought you might wanna try this.....

It has been verified by experiment that certain auto-negotiating ethernet cards (both in PCs and in Macs), when connected to certain models of cable modem, sense the ethernet duplex setting incorrectly. Such a cable modem has ethernet hardware which is capable of operating only in half-duplex mode, at 10 Mbps, yet some auto-negotiating ethernet cards sense it as full-duplex. If an auto-negotiation card incorrectly starts operating in full-duplex mode, there can be collisions between ethernet packets being transmitted in both directions at the same time, leading to packet loss, and repeated re-transmissions. There is no visible evidence of this apart from poor performance. This problem can be avoided by manually configuring your ethernet card to be 10 Mbps half-duplex. No ill-effects will transpire from doing this, even when it is not necessary. The exact wording of the setting changes required varies from one manufacturer to another, so the instructions below are necessarily rather broadly defined.

Check it out,, hope it helps
    TOO MUCH GIDDYYUP,,, NOT ENOUGH WHOA!!!

Trav

Thats an interesting point. Thanx for that link. But I imagine his router is between the LAN and the cable modem, I don't think this might be causing a conflict. I took a look at my software and found no way to change between Half and full duplex on the WAN port. So I'm assuming mine went the right way.
    - PhrostED

I don't know what OS you have but it would be somwhere on the network card adapter. In win 98 right click on network neighborhood and choose properties. Select your ethernet card adapter(( not the tcp/ip adapter)) and then click on properties. It should be under the advanced settings.
    TOO MUCH GIDDYYUP,,, NOT ENOUGH WHOA!!!

Trav

OmegaRob

Lightbulb

I have the same router, too. When I first set it up I had similar difficulties, but i'm not sure what fixed it. I was doing all kinds of tweaks...

I have version 1.37 firmware, I believe that's the latest, i think you mentioned you have the latest.

I have the router and my Windows PC's NIC's set up for DHCP, "Obtain an IP Address Automatically", the router DHCP server is enabled.

The router is set to "Gateway", see under "Advanced" tab, "dynamic routing".

I have Windows 98SE on my main computer, awhile back its IP address got stuck, no matter how many times I reset or reload software it would only come up with a specific address. I had to adapt the rest of my network to work around it. You might try running "winipcfg /all" on each of your computers to make sure each computer has its own IP address and the Subnet mask is something like 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.252.0, and the default gateway and DHCP server is your router IP address.

However, an earlier thread said something about half/full duplex, I think that is probably your problem....

The Rock
    Holy Bat Crap Batman.....YeoldStoneCat is on this Messageboard!!!

WOW...you guys better listen to him....he knows his stuff.

Later

Sahroe
    I'm still a bit fuzzy on the total scenario (are both PCs dropping connection or just one is dropping and the other is just lagging, etc.).

You could always use a network monitor to see if the new board with the built-in NIC is broadcast storming. If it is you can assume it is either damaged or there may be a bios issue.

Since the NIC is built-in you may want to keep an eye out for an update at the board manufacturer's homestead for an update. Updating the bios is always a last resort, but sometimes it is neccessary.

Good luck!

The Rock
    Also a tweak I just read on this site was to assign 4 MB of RAM to the IRQ the NIC is on to help stabilize it. Just look up under tweaks for cable.

Once you've found the IRQ of your Network Card, you need to reserve some RAM for its use, by adding an entry to the System.ini file. You can edit the file in any text editor, however the easiest way is to use Windows' built in "System Configuration Editor".
    More...
    Navigate to Start > Run and type sysedit . Find the [386enh] Section in the System.ini file and add Irq[n]=4096 under it, where [n] is the IRQ number of your NIC and 4096 is the amount of RAM you want to reserve in Kbytes. We recommend using 4096, however you can experiment with different values if you want. Save changes in the file, exit and reboot for changes to take effect.

Note: If you choose to try different values, keep in mind that reserving too much RAM for your NIC will decrease the amount of RAM available for applications, while reserving too little might not give the desired effect.

http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_modems/cable_irq.shtml