Thread: how to overclock my first amd athlon chip?

1BUSTERKEATIN

how to overclock my first amd athlon chip?

current info:
    AMD ATHLON (MODEL 4 ) PROCESSOR
    PLATFORM- SOCKET a (SOCKET 462)
    CPU INTERNAL CLOCK- 797.3 MHZ
    SYS CLOCK- 99.66 MHZ MULTIPLIER- 8.0

OS- WIN Me
    BIOS INFO - AWARD SOFTWARE VER 6.00PGN RELEASE DATE 10/06/2000
    CHIPSET INFO- VIA APOLLO KT 133X
    NIVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX/MX 400 GRAPHICS CARD

I HAVE READ NUMEROUS ARTICLES ON OC AND DONT KNOW WHERE TO START (I GUESS). jUST ALITTLE PUSH IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION WOULD BE GREAT.

need more info than that buddy...
    what temps are you running?

what motherboard?

1BUSTERKEATIN
    the motherboard is- BIOSTAR M7VKB

TEMPS I AM CURRENTLY RUNNING ARE ABOUT 42 DEGREES CE

Originally posted by 1BUSTERKEATIN
    the motherboard is- BIOSTAR M7VKB

TEMPS I AM CURRENTLY RUNNING ARE ABOUT 42 DEGREES CE
    42C = full load? or idle?

<edit> also what Heatsink do you have on there?

lose teh caps lock please

start by increasing the fsb in 1 mhz increments and then run a burn in program like prime95 or sisoft sandra's burn in wizard and see how stable it is.if u get to a point and it isnt stable try upping the vcore a tad,i usually max the vcore and then when im almost done i see how stable it is if i lower it,remember that temps are gonna raise when u up the vcore.u might also up the i/o if u can by .1
    what kind of ram u got?how much and how many sticks
    Will Work For FSB

1BUSTERKEATIN
    42c with full load
    not sure what heatsink is on it but there is one. I will let you know.
    i have sdram pc100 256mb (2 sticks of 128) I am going for 256mb more so i will have 512mb total.
    i cant find the fsb in my bios. was going to get the program soft fsb but cant get it. its not downloadable from the site i keep going to when i try.
    i did order a new bios upgrade. it will be here in 2 days. so maybe i will be able to adjust the fsb then.

thanks for helping me out with this.

it is susposed to support fsb oc'ing.

whatca mean u ordered a bios upgrade,did u buy a new chip or somethin??

u can download a newer version and flash it urself

read this
    http://www.socketa.com/reviews/biostar/m7vkb/
    Will Work For FSB

~'~|D|HawaiianGhost~'~ HawaiianGhost's Avatar
    In a chair, in front of my rig, staring at my avatar... <(0.0)>

Exclamation

42 Deg's C. seems a bit high buddy for 797.3Mhz. Try investing into a better heatsink and fan setup BEFORE OC'ing. If Not, then atleast try "Lapping" the heatsink to ensure optimal contact for heat transfer from CPU chip to heatsink. Also, use a good thermal grease like "Artic Grease" - the couple bucks may prevent future heart-aches, not to mention Head-aches.

I run an AMD Athlon 1.1Ghz (1108Mhz) Not CO'd. sustaining temps of approx. 30-40 Deg's C. with full load. Just by ensuring good contact and heat dissipation. There's a few good sites on Lapping, I'll try to find and post them. If not, PM me and I'll try to explain, it's really simple.
    DA' BEAST:
    Win2000Pro/WinXpPro SP2||AMD AXP 2700+ T-Bred 2.2GHz w/Thermalright SLK-800 & Tt Smart FanII||ASUS A7V333/R||1GB PC2700 Corsair VS||Lite-On 52x CD-Rom||Yamaha CRW-F1ZEN 44x24x44 Burner||2xWD800JBSE in RAID-0, 1xWDSE800JB & 1xWDSE1600JB backups||SBAudigy OEMBulk||Enermax EG465AX-VE
    Chaintech GF4 Ti4200 128MB "GT21" w/ViVo SE

--------------------------------------
    Game with the ~RealmOfGhost'z~, [SG], |D|

~'~|D|HawaiianGhost~'~ HawaiianGhost's Avatar
    In a chair, in front of my rig, staring at my avatar... <(0.0)>

Question

One more thing, I hope you didn't give up any cash to that BAD MAN whom you are getting that "Upgraded BIOS" from.
    And Yes, your Mobo does support FSB in Bios. Just worked on a friends PC (with same Mobo and Bios as yours) a day ago and I glanced at his Bios and saw options for FSB. I do not exactly remember what page it was on but it is there in Bios, so keep looking. I did not go into his FSB for his system was plain Jacked-up, so had to concentrate on re-formatting and re-configuring it.
    DA' BEAST:
    Win2000Pro/WinXpPro SP2||AMD AXP 2700+ T-Bred 2.2GHz w/Thermalright SLK-800 & Tt Smart FanII||ASUS A7V333/R||1GB PC2700 Corsair VS||Lite-On 52x CD-Rom||Yamaha CRW-F1ZEN 44x24x44 Burner||2xWD800JBSE in RAID-0, 1xWDSE800JB & 1xWDSE1600JB backups||SBAudigy OEMBulk||Enermax EG465AX-VE
    Chaintech GF4 Ti4200 128MB "GT21" w/ViVo SE

--------------------------------------
    Game with the ~RealmOfGhost'z~, [SG], |D|

1BUSTERKEATIN
    bala,m0a2t4t,& hawaiian ghost thanks for the input once again.

i didnt see "fsb" in the bios...................is it listed as something else? ie: system bus/pci............if it is then i got it. but i cant go 1mhz at a time. it increases by 2 at a time. as far as upgrading my bios. i did see the flash utility and the new bios ver. download. can it be done from the msdos prompt?( oh yeah. thanks for the web article, m0a2t4t)
    before i go get more ram. should i just change it all to pc133 instead?
    hawaiian ghost, i think i will go and get a better heat sink before i try to lap it. read the info on lapping though.

thanks again

system bus sounds right.

u must flash ur bios in a pure dos enviroment

u can use wcpuid to check ur clock speed and it gives a bunch of other info

what kinda ram u plannin on buyin and what kind do u have in it now
    Will Work For FSB

1BUSTERKEATIN
    i have pc100 sdram right now.

i have that program already thanks.

ok. it didnt say sys bus. this is where i found it.

under "Frequency&clock settings" it was labeled
    "CPU HOST/PCI/SPREAD SPEC" with the following choices:
    100/33mhz/-.5
    100/33/+-.25
    100/33/+-.5
    102/34/off
    104/35/off
    106/35/off
    107/36/off
    108/36/off
    110/37/off
    111/37/off
    112/37/off

Default is what my machine started at. i went down the list one at a time. each time checking my cpu temp,cpu mhz,etc. I was up to "106/35/off" CPU temp was up to 46 ce. Mhz was up to 847. this was with 5 programs opened one of which was a game. I didnt have the quake demo handy at the time so i used DFLW. at first nothing seemed wrong, but then while playing the game the frames seemed to be stopping and then had some trouble restarting the computer. So i returned the cpu to the default setting for now until i hear back from you guys.

now, from everything i have read on oc'ing you should try to keep the pci as close to default as possible, right? but you can see mine cant be changed. ?
    also. the i/o settings and vcore cannot be changed either. not with the current bios. Soi will update it? You said it has to be done in pure dos. How do you boot in pure dos? (lame ? sorry but i never had to do it so i dont know how)
    thanks again for your time

use a floppy to boot into dos.and then run the flash utility and after u flash it reset cmos.

do u have sisoft sandra?
    try it at 102 and run the burn in prog,then test it out in a game or something and if its stable try to up the bus again.

when u up the fsb ur pci bus speed will increase,mine is around 41mhz right now

i looked on biostars website and couldnt find a flash utility,when u boot does it say anywhere on the bios screen like press f4 or somethin to run the flash utility.
    Will Work For FSB

1BUSTERKEATIN
    ok. i was able to boot into dos and flash my bios then i updated it. the only change i see in the updated bios is now my max fsb setting is only 110, down from 112.
    so it might not of been worth doing. i did save the old bios though.

anyway, i read about a program called softfsb. have you heard of it? its nolonger available for downloading. Do you or anyone have it? then it can be sent to me.

i ask bc even if i reach 110 or 112 without a problem my max mhz would only be up to 896. so i would like to get it higher than that bc my dad has a 900mhz cpu and there is no noticable difference from his to mine.

bottom line is the $. i know i want more ram. i definitely need a new heat sink. and maybe even a new or extra fan. all this to get to 1000ghz. which i know is possible according to what i read. but i also know that this mobo will support up to a 1.4 ghz cpu. what i am saying is maybe i should just buy the better cpu?

anyway, I DEFINITELY still want your help in learning how to oc these bad boys. I really appreciate it. I found a new hobby and am really enjoying learning.

thanks

i havent really used softfsb,i have it if u want it but i wouldnt use it at least right now

if ur gonna buy anything id buy a new mobo,one thats more stable and suited for oc'ing.id also get a good hs/f like the alpha pal8045 with a good fan on it.it will help lower temps and be more stable and allow for a better overclock,also increase the northbridge cooling this will also help for a higher fsb oc.for the ram u want a GOOD brand like crucial,mushkin,corsair and there are a few others.u also want it to have a CAS2 rating and u dont want to use alot of sticks,only like 1 or 2,too many sticks can cause some mobos to be unstable and u usually wont get as good a oc with alot of sticks in there.

play around with it and see how high u can get it.1ghz should be easy,i had a 800 duron and it was a hella good oc'er.i almost hit 1100 mhz

this new hobby turns into a addictiontrust me
    Will Work For FSB

have u unlocked ur chip ?
    Will Work For FSB

1BUSTERKEATIN
    ok. i would love to have the softfsb program. just to have it.

crucial ram is on sale right now. 256mb of pc133 for 60$.
    i can get a new amd mobo and athlon xp cpu for under 500$

so this is my delema.

i will check out the $ of that heat sink and fan.

e-mail me the softfsb? and should i give you my e-mail address here?

got ur email and ill send it to ya in the morning.

b4 u buy anything especially a new mobo make sure to post a thread.if ur thinking bout a new proc especially a xp ur gonna want ddr.

that heatsink is about $40, one of the most important items u can buy for a amd cpu is the heatsink.thats not the only heatsink that will work but its one of the best especially for the price.
    Will Work For FSB

what psu do u have,how many watts
    Will Work For FSB