Thread: Why is my cable modem super fast and then lags for a split sec? @home service???

Why is my cable modem super fast and then lags for a split sec? @home service???

I have @home cable modem service and all the speed patches done and such and I have been gone on business for the past 3 months and now I've come back and the once super fast internet I once had is still fast but when I do speed tests its is slower at times and seems to "lag" at times but is blazing fast at other times. Its like web pages load super fast and then it lags a split sec and then is fast again and such.....

Is it because comcast is changing over their system, and/or is there new caps for downloads in the system now???

Could someone please inform me on if their is any bugs out therein the lines or such comcast or whoever is now my cable modem supplier.....!!

Thanks alot!

BTW, All my settings are optimized and such, i dont understand why it is now laggig a split sec here and there, I have a linksys router hooked up and have the newest firmware update and also bypassed the router and still does the same thing!
    1100 Mhz Athlon Thunderbird, Asus A7V motherboard, 128MB RAM pc-133 SDRAM (soon to upgrade to 1.5 GIG RAM), 30gig HD, Win98SE... All win98SE speed patches done, Cablenut adjuster tweaked to max, IRQ8 set to priority in "PriorityControl" in registry, Eliminated @home proxie servers......

Is your Video card and NICs on the Same IRQ?
    Live to chase your dream...

No they are on seperate IRQ's.
    1100 Mhz Athlon Thunderbird, Asus A7V motherboard, 128MB RAM pc-133 SDRAM (soon to upgrade to 1.5 GIG RAM), 30gig HD, Win98SE... All win98SE speed patches done, Cablenut adjuster tweaked to max, IRQ8 set to priority in "PriorityControl" in registry, Eliminated @home proxie servers......

It's called internet traffic (congestion), I bet it's alot faster in the early am huh? Less traffic = more bandwidth.

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    Bottom line @Home's bandwidth 3.0 down, Comcast 1.5 down
    you will be slower, alot
    \

Plus try: If you have not downloaded IE you can't repair till you do:

To repair IE
    Go to contol panel,add/remove programs
    Select IE and internet tools from box
    Click remove
    A box will come up asking if you want to repair or remove IE
    Click on repair

Or you may have to redownload IE:

To redownload IE
    Go to www.microsoft.com
    Under downloads click on download center
    Select which which version you want and select your OS
    Click on run from this location when download box comes up
    good luck

Lobo, I tried to repair IE but still nothing changed. They must have put a download cap on the service or something cuz all my speed tests always come out the same or close..... and you can see the very fast speed and then it lags at some specific times to bring the speed tests to the same numbers each time.

Like the one DSL speed test used to always say I was 45-60 times faster than a 56K modem back about 3-4 months ago, and now it says i'm ony 20-22 times faster than a 56k modem!!

Is their any new patches or something I need to change in my TCP/IP properties to get my speed back to normal, or am I experiencing what everyone else is experiencing and thats why you guys are all mad about the speed right now???

Please let me know!!

Thanks!!!

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    That is your new speed, @Home with their CAP of 3.0 is no more

Your CAP now is 1.5, half of what it was, thus speed slow down, see thread who let the dogs out

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    @Homes backbone is dying.
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB