Thread: Require bit of info about web patch

Require bit of info about web patch

Hi folks,

Re the web patch which allows the browser to open more concurrent connections.... does this alter the IE program itself, or does it make changes to the registry, or both?

I'm trying to determine whether upgrading the version of IE would require reinstalling of the webpatch.

Thanks

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    Download SG Optimizer to your desktop, select connection type at top, select optimal settings at bottom, click on apply changes at very bottom and REBOOT
    If you wish to enter custom TCP recieve window select custom settings at bottom, enter what you wish, click on apply changes at bottom and REBOOT.
    If using Cablenuts adjuster too, you must first bring up adjuster, click on clear all boxes at bottom and reboot, then download and install optimizer.

Optimizer in signature

wow that was fast...

Hi Lobo,

Okay, the problem is on a friend's computer which I don't have access to. It's not tweaked at all except for I THINK the webpatch was installed a while back.

There has been a noticeable slowdown in page loading since he upgraded IE. So I'm trying to determine what "slowing factors" would be directly related to an upgrade.

I asked him to check Tools/Internet Options and make sure the upgrade hadn't reset Browsing options to default as far as loading .gifs, video, etc.

Then, since I think the webpatch might have been installed originally, I thought the upgrade might have overwritten or somehow stopped that patch from functioning.

Is that possible?

Panama City, FL and a FAN of Dale Earnhardt Jr. Bud Chevy & NASCAR , and the Atlanta Braves
    If he upgraded then he can repair IE, here's how, also have him get Optimizer, web page speedup is in it:

To repair IE
    Go to contol panel,add/remove programs
    Select IE and internet tools from box
    Click remove
    A box will come up asking if you want to repair or remove IE
    Click on repair

To install web page speedup, select custom settings, at top other settings, LAN speedup=yes, Apply changes and REBOOT
    Last edited by Lobo; 01-31-02 at 03:23 PM.

thanks again Lobo,

Actually I'm just trying to determine any obvious reasons why an IE upgrade would cause slow page loading.

I did already suggest IE repair to him, thanks.

He's not trying to tweak the connection, just get it back to where it was before the upgrade. Any clue why the upgrade would slow things down?

Tweaking in this case requires more than running a tweaking patch or program... he has exactly the same setup as me, which was a pain in the arse for me to tweak (a setting has to be changed in the router as well, plus some values have to be changed "by hand" in the reg because the original pre-router enternet software from the ISP makes some registry changes which override changes made by tweaking patches. He is NOT comfortable doing those things by himself and I'm not able to go over there to do it at the moment.) We're not trying to tweak the thing, just trying to solve the upgrade mystery.

Does the webpatch survive an IE upgrade, or does it have to be reapplied? Thanks

I think the upgrade may have restored default settings, have him redownload patch

I don't know what im thinking of, he already downloaded it, just run it again (install)
    Last edited by Lobo; 01-31-02 at 04:03 PM.