Thread: NIC Connection Icon in Win98

NIC Connection Icon in Win98

I posted this in another thread, but I thought I'd ask you programmers. I would like to see a "Connected" icon in my system tray in Win98se like I get in WinXP. Is there any secret way to do this? It can't be done using the normal methods through windows interface.
    Mike W.
    ----------------
    AMD Athalon 1.0gig, 640meg SDRAM, K7SeM Board, RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet NIC, Maxtor ATA100 PCI Card, Maxtor 7200rpm 20gig HDD, Samsung 20gig HDD, LG Cd-RW, Iomega 100mgb Iomega Zip, 50X CD ROM, ATI Rage Fury Pro 128, ViewSonic A-72f, Windows Xp Pro and Windows 98se, Comcast Cable Connection, SG Optimizer

I have similar specs and mine shows up in system tray automatically. You've probably checked this but is it checked in msconfig? Sorry I can't offer more help but it'll give you a bump

"We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are."

Well...I checked MS Config. Nowhere in there did I see where I could enable the icon for LAN connection. Are you on cable modem or DSL?
    I am on cable modem, and my NIC card Properties has nowhere I can set an icon in the sys tray Oh well....cant have it all!
    Mike W.
    ----------------
    AMD Athalon 1.0gig, 640meg SDRAM, K7SeM Board, RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet NIC, Maxtor ATA100 PCI Card, Maxtor 7200rpm 20gig HDD, Samsung 20gig HDD, LG Cd-RW, Iomega 100mgb Iomega Zip, 50X CD ROM, ATI Rage Fury Pro 128, ViewSonic A-72f, Windows Xp Pro and Windows 98se, Comcast Cable Connection, SG Optimizer

Sorry Mike_W, I'm on DSL. Someone must know the answere to this.

The only thing I know of is, A: See if any of the software for your NIC from the manufacterers web site may have something for diagnostics or B: Install a firewall such as Zone Alarm or Sygate.

I don't know of any other way. I've tried looking for a 3rd party app that would do that, but to no avail.

Zone Alarm already installed. I appreciate your help...all of you...but it's no big deal. I just thought it would look neat to see a lan "connected" icon in Win98 like I have in WinXP.
    I guess Win98 just wasn't built with that option. I always kept a "modem" icon when I was on dial-up...kinda neat to see it flashy
    Mike W.
    ----------------

Closest thing I could find........

Hey Mike_W,

Go to the site below and d/l this little proggy called:

LanLight

Description:
    LanLight.exe is a small Visual Basic 6 program that monitors LAN TCP/IP traffic from & to your computer. The program runs as a System Tray Icon providing visual indication of network traffic. Right click the icon in the System Tray to Exit (stop) the program or change Icons. Holding the pointer over the icon will display the total number of TCP segments sent and received by your computer.

BMED

WhooooHooo!!!
    You tha' man!!
    Thanks BMED!
    Mike W.
    ----------------

Thumbs up

NP

Let me know how it works for you so I can file in my "Win98" goodies folder.

Works fantastic! the icon looks like a blue version of the DUN connection icon for modem in WIn9x. Info isnt presented as nice as in XP, but it is there and looks good!
    I also owe thanks to Suzie who kept you guys looking for this!
    Thanks Suzie!
    Mike W.
    ----------------

Originally posted by Mike_W
    Works fantastic! the icon looks like a blue version of the DUN connection icon for modem in WIn9x. Info isnt presented as nice as in XP, but it is there and looks good!
    Thanks Suzie!
    You're just lucky Suzie and I just finished a long-term love affair, otherwise you'd be out in the cold!

Just kidd'in Suzie!

I'm glad it works for you, it's going in my Win98 goodies folder as we speak!........pass it on to your Win98 buds too!

BMED

Originally posted by Mike_W
    Thanks Suzie!
    Glad you found what you needed I was looking but with no luck. Thanks guys for not giving up and helping.

Originally posted by BMED

You're just lucky Suzie and I just finished a long-term love affair, otherwise you'd be out in the cold!

Just kidd'in Suzie!

I'm glad it works for you, it's going in my Win98 goodies folder as we speak!........pass it on to your Win98 buds too!

BMED
    LOL BMED your a sweetie Nice find BTW