Thread: magnetically shield my subwoofer..HOW??

Post magnetically shield my subwoofer..HOW??

hey guys,
    i just found out my subwoofer isn't magnetically shielded so i might mess up my monitor and hard drive....although its about 3 feet from my monitor, i think its the reason why my old monitor "burned" out on me and went dark.

what can i use or how can i magnetically shield/protect the monitor from the subwoofer?

thanks

I know! Complain about chest pains and when they admit you to the hospital and give you the full X-Ray, steal the nut cover they give you and wrap it around your sub! Problem solved.

first off, i'd move it as far away as possible....3 feet is still pretty close. i dont know how you can magnetically shield a subwoofer, or any speaker....unless that means just to use shieled wiring.

The only way to shield magnetic waves that I know of is lead. And most high quality speakers come with that shield already surrounding the magnet.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Mu metal is about the best thing you can use. It may be hard to find. The speakers didn't burn out your monitor though. The only thing a speaker will do to you monitor is make it turn different colors, which degaussing will take care of. The case of your computer and hard drive will provide decent sheilding if the magnet of the woofer is not too large.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Three feet should be plenty of separation but if you like, you can put a sub anywhere in the room. The magnetic field can cause some visual distortion on the screen if it's really close but I don't see how it could damage a monitor. A shielded speaker would have the magnet somehow encased in a permeable metal and that would be by design rather than an add-on kind of thing. Soft iron or mumetal.

It's not a very big magnet so I don't think you need to be concerned about it.

what size sub is that?
    my sub is about 6.5feet from my screen so I don't get discoloration. but when I crank it up real load that my ceiling starts ratlin' my screen starts displaying lines. is that magnetic fields or just the screen vibrating?
    You will experience a strong urge to do good; but it will pass.

Originally posted by Sadrok
    what size sub is that?
    my sub is about 6.5feet from my screen so I don't get discoloration. but when I crank it up real load that my ceiling starts ratlin' my screen starts displaying lines. is that magnetic fields or just the screen vibrating?
    *LOL* I guess your monitor loves the vibration
    ex-WoW-addict

That would be vibes. A magnetic field wouldn't cause that.
    "Mr President, you have big balls" - Dominica prime minister Eugenia Charles to Ronald Reagan after the invasion of Grenada, 1983

"We win and they lose. What do you think of that?" - Ronald Reagan, 1977