Thread: Can anyone recommend a good dial-modem?

Angry Can anyone recommend a good dial-modem?

just today i turned my cable modem in and closed my account. after the last rate increase i just couldn't live with myself giving these people 50 dollars to be mean to me.

I am looking into getting a good Internal or external 56K with the new V92 standard. Do I buy USR, ZOOMY, Actiontec, or the BinLaden_Flyer56K modem. I heard the BinLaden_Flyer56K modem crashes alot. Is this true?

USR 56k ... but i'm sure ppl here will say no, use this, or don't spend more than X amount of $$ on a dialup modem, etc...

Kinda like asking what OS do you like better

Anyway, when I used dial up I tried a couple OEM brands which were fine but had there own problems, now with USR there 110% rock! solid. Great connections every time, great down stream and NO hassles. Quaility all the way, you can't go wrong with USR.

I build PC's for a company I have a contract with and have been using a OEM no name brand, Only beacuse they don't have alot of money. I have ran into problems with them especially on win2000 so now I'm not using anything but USR now and no problems since.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I swear by USR External 56k...all I ever use for all my clients, except for the USR Courier in heavy duty conditions, like servers. That's the best dial up modem in my opinion, but at almost 300 bucks, not a consumer modem. The 5686-003 series is awesome, forget the new version of that series...anyways...their standard white external one, it rocks!

For online gaming, if you have clean clean phone lines, Diamond modems have been proven, and I can testify to that, to provide the lowest pings in gaming. But they are picky about line noise, if you have even mediocre phone lines, you'll get modem jacks and disconnects while gaming. But in optimum conditions, they are good for that. Else, USR.

BinLaden Flyer56k crashing a lot...heh...good one!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Wink

well, it seems USR to be very respected and I tend to Agree. I think I'm going to my little mall and see if I can find one on sale this sunday. Thank you my friends for you wisdom and advice.

Well I owned a USR 33.6 External one and it rocked!

Originally posted by cy
    Well I owned a USR 33.6 External one and it rocked!

hehehe, I still have mine sitting down stairs resting from all the use and abuse gave it and it kept on ticking.

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    Diamond Supra Externals are GREAT for ping.

USR give best downloads.

Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB

What about these if you like Diamond? I don't think one of them is V92 but so be it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Diamond Supra 336i is one I still have. PCGamer rated it several years as the ultimate gaming modem, even over 56k modems, as far as lowest pings go. I've had pings in the 90's with it...not bad for dial up.

As for the external USB modems, for gaming, I'd shy away from them....USB devices being very CPU intensive. But for otherwise general use, sure, they're fast. Only thing I noticed about Diamond modems....zero tolerance of noisy phone lines. That's where USR modems shine...will practically hold your connection through a lightening storm! Especially those Courier modems, bulletproof.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

i didn't know USB was CPU intensive. even if you have a USB controller chip onboard? how much CPU we talking here? im concerned about this. I have a 1 GHZ AMD. but mama not like USB taking my power.

USR (3COM) internal HARDWARE modem, any version just make sure it's a hardware, much better performance.

Tucson, Arizona Processor: GenuineIntel Member #4896
    USR or ZOOM external serial. I have a zoom, used occasionally, and it is fairly tolerant of line noise, and gets nice throughput.
    If your browser can't read unicode, you should probably switch!