Thread: lose slave drive after warm boot . . .*%^$&*)

lose slave drive after warm boot . . .*%^$&*)

My slave drive (Quantum Fireball ATA 100 40Gig 7200RPM) is not displayed after a warm boot. I was converting my FAT32 to NTFS and after I did the "C" partiton on my master drive the slave drive was gone. I figured it was a conflict with the NTFS and the FAT32 so I switched the "C" partition back to FAT32 (using partition magic 7.0 pro). Now I keep loseing the slave drive when I reboot, I rebooted in the command line and fdisked it into four new partitions and formated them as FAT32 but still no luck.
    I am hoping on of you out there my know a fix for this.
    Comp specs are listed below.
    The NastySasky:
    Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz| eVGA X58 SLI | 12gigs Dominator XMS3 1600 | 2 ASUS ENGTX 470's | Intel X25 120Gig SSD + 2 WD Black 500's | Pioneer DVD/RW | LG Blu-Ray Writer | Antec 1000Watt | WarMachine M1 Case

Is it enabled in BIOS?

Yes, both are set to "AUTO" detect. The drive was working fine up until today.
    I am going to sleep on it and have a go at it tomorow, the master drive seems fine, I can load up, surf the net. I am posting this from my Win2K machine right now. It just loses the slave drive on warm boots and I can't get rid of this damn 7.2MB (FAT16)partition on the slave drive either, and it wont let me convert it to FAT32, when I convert it to NTFS and try and merge it with the rest of the drive, also NTFS (with partiton magic) I get the message that the partitions are not compatible.
    The NastySasky:
    Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz| eVGA X58 SLI | 12gigs Dominator XMS3 1600 | 2 ASUS ENGTX 470's | Intel X25 120Gig SSD + 2 WD Black 500's | Pioneer DVD/RW | LG Blu-Ray Writer | Antec 1000Watt | WarMachine M1 Case

How is all your IDE devices set up? Like this?:

Primary Master: Hard Drive
    Primary Slave: Hard Drive
    Secondary Master: CD-RW
    Secondary Slave DVD-ROM

Did you make sure the jumpers on the back are all set up correctly?

yup. That is how it is set up. I will double check the jumper settings, but I am sure they are set correctly.
    The NastySasky:

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    delpart.exe is a utility you can find on the net, such as bootdisk.com, that will blow any stubborn partition away....

Is this one of the same drives you were having problems with a few days ago?

I only trust partition magic for a couple of minor things...but sometimes after a drive has been through a lot, it's best to totally blow all partitions away and start from scratch.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!