Thread: want to learn

want to learn

ok.....total nooob here to programming.
    can someone point me in the right direction to get started in programming........help sites...ect.

thanks in advance.

AMP
    Gigabyte ga-7n400 pro nForce2 mobo, Athlon XP3200, thermalright slk900, 1 gig corsair pc3200 cas2, radeon 9800pro, SB Audigy 2 ZS
    case= yeong yang YY-B0221 server cube,550 watt Antec true power,1 wd raptor 74 gig,1 34gig raptor (page) 2 wd 120gig se's raid 1, 1 120gig se. WIN xp Pro, Dual display samsung syncmaster 1100df 21in(Primary) Samsung syncmaster 955df 19in (secondary)".

Well what language would you like to tackle? Do you have any previous programming experience at all (even markup or scripting languages)? How much time/effort are you willing to spend? All these things will determine if you should start with a hll language or something more low level. Also, if there are specific types of programs you're looking to code....that too might influence the decision of which language to learn.

The only tip I could offer someone just starting out, like yourself, is not to start with vb. It'll hinder you in the long run if you're serious about programming. That's not to say that vb is bad or anything, just that there's a lot of limitations that you'll have to deal with (like vb's datatypes for instance) and there's no sense starting off with a language that'll be tying your hands from day 1.

edited:

hll==high level language
    ....as in hll syntax. Depending on what programming language you'll be learning the syntax (the code you write) could be very close to the logical words you'd actually speak. Like: "if this happens then do that". Or the syntax could be/seem not very friendly at all. Like: "shr eax,16".
    --4oh4

I have more language orientated links at home. I'll post tomorrow.

KEWL KEWL

thanks you 2

i do want to start somewhere on the "easy" side and work up.
    i dont plan on writting an operating system this year, but i would like to be able to do stuff like automate launching and execution of certian things inside other programs, and write my own to do simple things, like...(and i dont know if this is "easy" but...) incorporate password dialogues where ever i want them.

and thanks a ton for the links!
    i have to split for work right now....but ill be busy when i get home tonite :-)

AMP
    Gigabyte ga-7n400 pro nForce2 mobo, Athlon XP3200, thermalright slk900, 1 gig corsair pc3200 cas2, radeon 9800pro, SB Audigy 2 ZS
    case= yeong yang YY-B0221 server cube,550 watt Antec true power,1 wd raptor 74 gig,1 34gig raptor (page) 2 wd 120gig se's raid 1, 1 120gig se. WIN xp Pro, Dual display samsung syncmaster 1100df 21in(Primary) Samsung syncmaster 955df 19in (secondary)".

PHP would be a good language for web.. C++ is also recommended.
    hum, i dont need any signature now...