Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best hsf

best hsf

whats the best and the quitest HSF to cool down Athalon XP. Currently i got vantec and my cpu temp goes as high as 55'C.

http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/duron.shtml

i say the alpha, u can order it with the sunon 28dba fan, very quiet

Advanced Member NuclearHeadache's Avatar
    Here's one, a bit on the heavy side but I bet you'll get good temps..

http://www.hansenwholesale.com/craftmade/warbirds.html
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Western Digital
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Isaiah 2:10

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

i just got a thermaltake 6cu hsf and this thing is HEAVY!!!

i got it because it had a copper base and it was only 13.00 us. Having a copper base should let me run a quiet fan on it while still keeping in a condition where it can cool an axp.
    What's the most expensive purchase you've made on your miles/reward credit card? Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card Application

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    PAL8045, 50cfm Sunon..not too loud (no whine to it) and I get 28C idle temps on my XP 1600+.
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB

Originally posted by NuclearHeadache
    Here's one, a bit on the heavy side but I bet you'll get good temps..

http://www.hansenwholesale.com/craftmade/warbirds.html

LMAO

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    Alpha PAL8045, I got a 50cfm sunon, which isnt loud at all, and I run at 30C idle.
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB

Originally posted by HalfLifer
    Alpha PAL8045, I got a 50cfm sunon, which isnt loud at all, and I run at 30C idle.
    I have the same motherboard u have.
    question is Alpha PAL8045 requres a screw installation, take out the mobo from the case?

guys what do u think about this one

http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/hhc-001.htm

Nice but aren't those really loud?
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

SG Enthusiast
    NuclearHeadache:

I see you have a A7V133 ... what do you get for temps?

47 idle 55 full. DO you have the same board?
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

SG Enthusiast
    47 idle 55 full. DO you have the same board?
    Ya w/a 1.4 T-Bird. I use VCool to help keep the temps down, but with out it, it runs about 52 idle 58-60 full. I have a copper based HSF but it does no help what so ever, I have one side of my case off, fans etc... It's in a full tower and the air flow is lousy. I found a nice mid tower I wanna get, nothing to fancy but it has great ventilation or I might get a ANTEC. Plus looking for a better HSF but I dont want a megga lound one, I allready have two intake / two exhaust and dual power supply fans running, so the noise is kinda up there allready.

Originally posted by Murman

Ya w/a 1.4 T-Bird. I use VCool to help keep the temps down, but with out it, it runs about 52 idle 58-60 full. I have a copper based HSF but it does no help what so ever, I have one side of my case off, fans etc... It's in a full tower and the air flow is lousy. I found a nice mid tower I wanna get, nothing to fancy but it has great ventilation or I might get a ANTEC. Plus looking for a better HSF but I dont want a megga lound one, I allready have two intake / two exhaust and dual power supply fans running, so the noise is kinda up there allready.
    I think it's the mobo its self. I think this mobo reads temps completely wrong. I use V-Cool as well and it dropped temps 5 degrees, used to be 52 like yours but I'm running a 1.2 T-Bird.
    One question... Do you use the ATA100 ports? I have four devices (2 rom drives and 2 harddrives) all attached to the primary and secondary IDE ports. Now I was considering getting another 60 gb hdd but I can't get the ATA100 ports to work. With 5 devices total I have no choice to use the ATA100 ports. I just want the ATA100 ports toact as IDE ports, I don't need RAID....yet.
    Some people say I need a driver and some say I don't. Any advice on this issue?
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

I think it's the mobo its self. I think this mobo reads temps completely wrong. I use V-Cool as well and it dropped temps 5 degrees, used to be 52 like yours but I'm running a 1.2 T-Bird.
    One question... Do you use the ATA100 ports? I have four devices (2 rom drives and 2 harddrives) all attached to the primary and secondary IDE ports. Now I was considering getting another 60 gb hdd but I can't get the ATA100 ports to work. With 5 devices total I have no choice to use the ATA100 ports. I just want the ATA100 ports toact as IDE ports, I don't need RAID....yet.
    if u have a highpoint raid controller u can, if u have a promise raid controller u cant

SG Enthusiast

Ya I been wondering if it the motherboard not reporting properly... VCool really helps though.

your question,

I use the built in Promise RAID controller as ATA100 yes... with two WD 30gig 72000 rpm drives, one on the primary and one on the secondary. No special drivers, I use the default XP drivers. The only time you should need the drivers is for installing win2K or XP with a RAID setup. Also I just have a CDRom hooked up to the regular secondary ATA100 controller. I havn't had a need to try more devices on the controllers.

You have the jumper set to use ATA100 and not the RAID? it is default.

Know what I did notice though lastnight .. I have been having problems with my CDRom drive so I tried the old swap the cable change it to another port on the board and when I put it on thr Primary ATA100 controller the board wouldn't pick it up at all, put it back on the secondary and bamm.. it picked it up. So I wonder if there is a flak with the A7V133 and it's ATA and RAID ports.

Maybe try moving your HD's to the ATA/RAID controller as primary & secondary ... or you can't ever get the ATA/RAID controller to work at all? ... even just normal ATA100 mode?

Originally posted by Murman

Ya I been wondering if it the motherboard not reporting properly... VCool really helps though.

your question,

I use the built in Promise RAID controller as ATA100 yes... with two WD 30gig 72000 rpm drives, one on the primary and one on the secondary. No special drivers, I use the default XP drivers. The only time you should need the drivers is for installing win2K or XP with a RAID setup. Also I just have a CDRom hooked up to the regular secondary ATA100 controller. I havn't had a need to try more devices on the controllers.

You have the jumper set to use ATA100 and not the RAID? it is default.

Know what I did notice though lastnight .. I have been having problems with my CDRom drive so I tried the old swap the cable change it to another port on the board and when I put it on thr Primary ATA100 controller the board wouldn't pick it up at all, put it back on the secondary and bamm.. it picked it up. So I wonder if there is a flak with the A7V133 and it's ATA and RAID ports.

Maybe try moving your HD's to the ATA/RAID controller as primary & secondary ... or you can't ever get the ATA/RAID controller to work at all? ... even just normal ATA100 mode?
    I get BSOD a when I use the ATA100. This mobo is just not for me I guess. I ca't even place the RAM I have in a different dimm slot cus it won't recognize it. But I figure maybe clearing the Cmos will fix that... maybe.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720

ahhh

before I goto sleep, Nuke some advice, I'm thinking inside the bios there is someway for you to adjust the RAID settings no? Inside try playing around with the settings and maybe you missed something, like a software switch between ATA/100 or RAID operation for the controller?
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720

oh one last thing

if you want a gool all in one copper heatsink, I say go for what I go, the CAK-38 from Globalwin, was $56 CAD when I got it and it's doing very well in my case right now.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

SG Enthusiast

Re: oh one last thing

Originally posted by terrancelam
    if you want a gool all in one copper heatsink, I say go for what I go, the CAK-38 from Globalwin, was $56 CAD when I got it and it's doing very well in my case right now.

Is the CAK-38 loud?