Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding ram to my video card...just read u'll under stand

adding ram to my video card...just read u'll under stand

ok i know it can be done for my laptop does it but i am not sure how to do it for win2k
    i have 2-4mb's on my video card and i h ave 128mb's ram pc133 (eh old stuff) but i know some where u can tell the bio's or os to use ram from my memory for my video ...
    my problem is have straped for cash and have a cheap video card that i need to replace and my frames per second are not what they used to be for some reason and i figured more ram for my video card it will boost my graphic's (frames per second not graphics really) so if you have any idea's please leave a message or any tip's or any place to get a good video card for a cheap price

i live in Vancouver washington so any stores near by would be nice
    ------------------------------------------------
    .specs.
    Abit Nf7-S rev 2~AMD AThlon xp 2500+ ~(1.83ghz)@3400+(2.442ghz)~tt valconoe 12+~Geil Ultra Series~256MB DDR PC-3500~ATI-AIW-Radeon~9800pro-128mb_ddr~100 gig' for xp
    ---------------------------------------------

i'm confused

are you doing this on a laptop or a desktop?

cause you can't change the video card on a laptop, you are stuck with what you got

depending on the setup if the video card is on board, built into the mobo then it uses main system ram as the local video card memory, this can be adjusted in the BIOS

if you have a seperate PCI or AGP card though on a desktop it has built in RAM ON the video card itself and does not share system ram

so which are you talking about?
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

it's a deck top yea it's pci (ati 3d rage II pci )

i had a nvidia card but it didn't want to go to 4x agp so my dad returned it and i have never been able to get a video card again.... my lap top is a win98 made by compaq and video is on board and thats was the machine i was talkin about that i was able to add system ram to...

the desk top i am wanting to add system ram to my video card is an
    asus a7v, kt133 chip set, 128mb's ram, with an t-bird 800mhz'
    .specs.
    Abit Nf7-S rev 2~AMD AThlon xp 2500+ ~(1.83ghz)@3400+(2.442ghz)~tt valconoe 12+~Geil Ultra Series~256MB DDR PC-3500~ATI-AIW-Radeon~9800pro-128mb_ddr~100 gig' for xp

oh and another thing if there is no hope for my video card witch i am getitn a picture which there isn't what would be a good vid to buy perferably agp how about ram.. and mobo i dont plan to oc this it's just gona be used to play counter strike and e-mail/home work

any link's so i could do some readin up ?
    thnx' bounches
    .specs.

as far as I understand it sounds like he wants to add memory to his vid card, buying soldering some bigger chips on there or something...

???

adding more video ram won't increase your FPS

all it will allow you to do is to run higher resolution and color depth in games and dekstop, it won't increase performance

you'd have to get a new card to do that

plus i don't think (not 100% sure on that card though) that you can add more ram to it, if there are RAM place holders where you can just pop in some ram then you can, but if there isn't any socketed place holders then your outta luck on adding new ram

newer video cards you can't add ram to anyways physically

as for adding system ram via BIOS you only do that on mobos that have built in video chips on the mobo itself, and only then if the option excists
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

from the first post i think he means using a sys.ini tweak like the one some people use to try and allocate some existing system RAM ("shared" memory so-to-speak) to an IRQ for the fabled NIC/internet connection tweak. then he mentions in the post BIOS setting, as in an intergrated vidcard's shared memory.

then he mentions being strapped for money, which suggests add-on hardware such as RAM.

i am also fairly confused.

i have a really old S3 PCI vidcard card (its in a junk-box, not this system) that has 2 sockets for memory that could be added later if the card purchased were a cheaper version and 2 memory chips that are soldered to the PCB, meaning permanent.

as far as i know, the majority of newer consumer-grade vidcards have fixed memory (soldered to the PCB). there are high-end SCSI RAID cards that use SODIMMS that are replacable/upgradable, but as for a videocard? i think he's out of luck.

in answer to ur question pimptrizkit, no u cant because its not onboard.

i'd recomend u get a 256 meg stick of crucial ram >www.crucial.com and a gainward geforce 2 ti 450

if u get those chuck teh 128 meg stick and i think u'd be quite happy

Advanced Member
    Fellow Vancouverite, what are you talking about? You can't just add DIMM's to your video card. The DIMMS are for your system, not for your video card. Regular sticks don't work, they just add toward the system RAM. To get more RAM on your video card, you need to have extensive knowledge and good soldering ability plus video RAM from Hyundai or Samsung or something. However, you can alter the RAM the system uses that is dedicated to video calculations. Do what Yard said, but get a Radeon 8500 instead.

Originally posted by MartialArtist12
    Do what Yard said, but get a Radeon 8500 instead.
    LMAO
    actually laughing at both of you.... (YOS and MArtial)

the man said he was short on cash...

Originally posted by BaLa

LMAO
    actually laughing at both of you.... (YOS and MArtial)

the man said he was short on cash...
    thats why i said teh gf2ti450 its cheapper and 256 megs ram isnt too pricey

oops well I missed that..
    i misread it
    thought GF3 TI

yea i dont know about soldering any thing i dont wanna mess up my vid card
    i didn't mean adding my sdram to my video card i aint a dummy but i did mean what " Faust " said it just couldn't get off my tounge i couldn't remember what it was called but better rez wouldn't be bad

my brother told me that the radeon 8500 get's like 250 fps in some game's which sounds kewl but its not cheap and if i bugged my dad to get that i wouldn't get my dirt bike fixed :/
    sheesh i need a job..... any one highering????

and thanks for that crucial web link my bro has a copoun for that site i didn't know so i could probaly get 256mb stick and give my lil bro my 128
    .specs.

the gainward geforce 2 ti 450 sells at compusa for like 120bucks

and ram sinks from some online vendor for 15 bucks more and u can overclock it very high, stock is 240/401, i am running mine at 285/505

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice
    I understand what you are trying to do and it simply cant be done. What you are referring to is a computer that shares the system memory with the video chip. This is a VERY cheap work around by pc companies to avoid adding any video memory at all. Most computers that use the 'shared' memory will NOT let you adjust the amount that is shared. I wasnt aware that any would.

You mention that you have a cheap video card, so there is NO possibility that it can be done. You might consider that tweaks might save you and improve your fps, but I highly doubt that as well.

Now, most of the cards mentioned here are wonderful cards. However, considering you are seeking an improvement from a 2meg video card, I'm sure anything will do. I'm not as good as some at finding great deals, but I'm sure you can get a nice video card for less then 50 us dollars. That would be a geforce2mx 64meg 200, but it'll take some looking. I would suggest stepping up to the 400 series, which can be found for under 70. That would even include tv out, which is very nice. Yes those other cards are worth the 50 dollar difference, however i understand how much 50 is if you're short on cash.

Good luck!
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

Originally posted by onetrueday
    I understand what you are trying to do and it simply cant be done. What you are referring to is a computer that shares the system memory with the video chip. This is a VERY cheap work around by pc companies to avoid adding any video memory at all. Most computers that use the 'shared' memory will NOT let you adjust the amount that is shared. I wasnt aware that any would.
    hmm...
    well for future reference

teh mobo I have with my K6-2 500
    Chaintech 5SSV has onboard sound and vid.
    you CAN adjust the Vid Mem (shared) in teh bios from 2mb to 8mb....

not sure what chipset it is either..

<edit> not EXACTLY sure on teh numbers though..don't feel like looking around in teh bios

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice
    good to know... thanks!
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    the gainward geforce 2 ti 450 sells at compusa for like 120bucks

and ram sinks from some online vendor for 15 bucks more and u can overclock it very high, stock is 240/401, i am running mine at 285/505
    u l t r a
    1st rig:
    Abit NF7-S v2.0(!) nforce2 | AMD XP2500+ Barton @2.4Ghz 12*200mhz | TYAN Tachyon Radeon9500pro oc´ed | 2*256MB DDR400 cl2.5 TwinMos -winbond- @ DC DDR400 3-2-2-2.0 | 2*120 GB Seagate Barracuda V *8MB Cache* S-ATA in RAID0 *woooo*| Pioneer DVD-RW A-05 | LG 48x24x48x16 CD-RW-DVD Combo | win2k pro SP4 |

2nd Rig:
    Abit KD7 KT400 | XP2400+ @XP2700+ (333) | Geforce4 128MB TI4200 oc´ed | 512MB PC3000 Corsair XMS CL2 | 60 GB Seagate Barracuda IV | Seagate ST340823A 40GB 5.4krpm | Pioneer DVD-106S | det.52.16 | win2kpro SP4 |
    3rd Rig
    *** SOLD *** --> preparing to go AMD 64bit in far future after paying off my RX8

http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=340755603 NEW!!!!
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7717862
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2262168 NEW!!!!

Be evil and fold some unholy proteins... crunch a unit!
    How you can help us to fold!

Folding buddy with SeedOfChaos, as The Fallen Angels. 100% unholy AMD Power.

Advanced Member
    A Radeon 8500 doesn't cost that much. It costs $200. Well, the price may or may not be a lot depending ont he person.

yea right now 200 bucks is spendy when i need to fix my dirt bike (shadered my piston skirt and it took out the sleave as well so i am just gona upgrade the top end to a 300r instead or a 250r) and when my bike's aren't broken i am out rididn more then i am playin video games (usaly) so thats why i aint investing in a card just yet

and my laptop allows u to do system share at 4-8mb's
    .specs.