Thread: Need advice regarding cats & Xmas trees...

Blog Entries

Need advice regarding cats & Xmas trees...

Anyone have any good advice for keeping cats from climbing Christmas trees? I've got two cats who are climbing and I don't want to have to hurt them, if you know what I mean
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Get yourself a water squirt bottle and let em have it any time they get near the tree. Sooner or later they'll get the message.

Or put a bunch of aluminum foil around the base of the tree. Cats hate that stuff, unless it's rolled up into a ball as a toy!

Moat, piranaha, concertina wire. Armed guards, claymores. A pack of wild badgers, chained to the tree. Hey, why be normal?
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

bwuahahahahahahahahathe first thing that ran though my mind when i saw this thread was the scene from a christmas vacation when the cat goes zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap underneath the chair

ok but seriously go to your local pet shop they should have a product that you can spay on the tree thatll make the cats give that bad boy a wide burth i think its called sour apple pet repelant i had to get some about ten years ago to keep one of my cats from scratching the hell out of the leg of a chair in my living room
    knowledge is the first key to wisdom

Originally posted by brembo
    Moat, piranaha, concertina wire. Armed guards, claymores. A pack of wild badgers, chained to the tree. Hey, why be normal?
    uh brembo, i think the objective is to keep the cats off of the tree, not to blow up the tree and the living room too

we have 2 6 month old kittens who are doing the same thing

Well, besides one of those carriers that was posted last night, here's some ideas:

1.*Keep the cat from knocking the tree over by using a very large base. Also, It's not a bad idea to fasten the tree to the ceiling with monofilament fishing line.

2.*Decorate the floor under the tree with aluminum foil. Many cats hate to walk on it, so if they can't get close, it might help and not detract from the look of the tree.

3.*You may also want to try teaching your cat not to approach the tree at all. Most cats hate to be startled, so you might want to set up a few, safe, booby-traps to keep the cat away from that "haunted" Christmas tree. The most effective deterrents work when you aren't around, so you're really only limited by your own devious imagination. A few of my favorites have been inverted mousetraps under a Christmas rug, empty pop cans stacked precariously on upper branches, and one imaginative owner even rigged his motion detector to keep the cat away from the tree!

4.*Don't entice the cat by dangling ornaments on low branches, particularly ornaments that can break. Forget the tinsel too -- it can be swallowed with dangerous consequences.

5.*Another technique that may help, particularly if you have only one cat, is to redirect your cat's energy. Setting up a scheduled, 15-minute exercise session or two every day might leave your pet too tired to get into trouble. This works best in the early evening, and if you choose a room other than the one with the tree to be the cat's new "hunting ground." Exercise also has the added benefit of reducing stress, which might help prevent other cat problems when the holiday guests start arriving.

6.*The chemicals that you add to the water to help the tree live longer can have the opposite effect on your cat. Keep the cat from investigating this new smell and drinking the toxic water by wrapping up the tree stand and base.

7.*Twinkling Christmas lights will attract your cat. Unplug them when you're not around.

8.*Spray electric cords with a pet deterrent like "Bitter Apple" to further prevent the cat from biting them. You might even want to spray the trunk of the tree, to perhaps dissuade climbing.

9.*Be careful about the way your presents are wrapped too. Ribbons may entice the cat to the tree, and if they are swallowed, can cause serious harm.

10.*Finally, you might consider keeping the cat physically separated from the tree. Closed doors DO protect Christmas trees, and can also protect your cat. This might also help your guests enjoy Christmas- many people are allergic to cats, or are just uncomfortable around them. It might be less stressful to your cat as well.
    We Remember...
    9|11
    40 miles SW of Mt. St. Helens

I've heard good results about the squirt bottle method too. Also, keep the shiney and furry ornaments up a few feet from the ground (out of feline reach), so the cats aren't as tempted in the first place.

Would love to give you advice Indy, but everything i have ever tried to keep our two cats from doing anything, hasn't worked, ever. Things that may work;

coat the bottom area of the tree trunk with either citrus or something hot like tabasco. they allegedly don't like those things. tried it, and one of the cats sat there licking the tabasco. squirt bottle works, but must maintain constant vigil. mine just stop when they get squirted, it doesn't deter them from going back though. Also, can try and put something like tin foil camoflaged on the floor, once again they allegedly don't like the feel of it when they walk on it.

We've been lucky, ours don't much go for the climbing the tree, just play with low hanging ornaments which are all now kitty proof, and the one also drinks the water out of the base. Yes, i believe he is part dog.

Best of luck to ya!!

Originally posted by Humboldt
    I've heard good results about the squirt bottle method too. Also, keep the shiney and furry ornaments up a few feet from the ground (out of feline reach), so the cats aren't as tempted in the first place.
    the squirt bottle method works wonders, but the cats go right back as soon as your out of the room

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips guys...definitely will keep you posted on what happens with the cats
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Careful with those claymores.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Good luck Indy!

One year we had our one cat convinced that the tree actually sprayed the water... Of course, it only lasted for a short while.

When I was in high school we had a cat who weighed close to 30 pounds who LOVED the Christmas tree... He took to draping himself in the branches, like a "big cat". It was quite a sight! But on the up side, the tree had a properly weighted base, and it didn't fall over.

Like Rob mentioned, we have cat proofed the lower branches (only ornaments that are not breakable), and we don't put ribbons on the packages until the day of... (The previously mentioned part-dog cat enjoys signing all bows with his special tooth signature.) Candy canes seem to be especially tempting too - I try to hang them a little higher in the tree too.

The lights do attract them, we have had to be very careful in the placement of the lights, keep the wires on lower branches close to the actual branches.

Last year they both spent a lot of time just hanging out under the tree. It was really kind of fun...
    "People demand freedom of speech as compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
    -Kierkegaard

hehe i would like to get one of those pads that you see in magic shops that spray water when you stand on them, that way when the cat stands on the pad around the tree it gets misted with water

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    Hey get one of those cat carriers that stealth had mentioned... lol

Originally posted by a0c2e4
    Hey get one of those cat carriers that stealth had mentioned... lol
    sure