Thread: An open letter to Bouncer, John and Ken.

disabled account Deus ex Machina's Avatar

An open letter to Bouncer, John and Ken.

I was very touched by this post from Bouncer.

Brent,

I will miss you my friend.

Whatever mistakes you made, there are a few of us who remember your awesome contributions to the site. We remember that you wrote one of the first reviews and certainly some of the most thorough. That you were the first person besides Philip to Admin. That you were the first real press agent we ever had, putting us in front of the other sites for links and stories and getting us noticed on a daily basis. That you, for a while, basically ran the site on a day to day basis almost singlehandedly. That you, in so many ways, are truly a fundamental part of the reason speedguide has grown as it has. A few of us remember, only, we're not around as much anymore. Time and the influx of ...children, has taken it's toll.

Brent, you have my very best wishes, and my private email. Drop me a line sometime or on ICQ.

Your Friend,
    Tom
    -Bouncer-

I have met with many people in the my twenty plus years as a computer hobbiest. These machines generate the kind of enthusiasm for intellect unequaled. It is also true that personalities are some of the most backward and coarse as well.

Brent had stooped to levels below the "children". I will not go on a rant. Personality conflicts will always occur. Maturity is tested in how you handle them. We all fail at time, but we must recognise the problem and make efforts to correct. Brent has not. Pity, Brent is an intelligent and interesting guy to converse with on other subjects. For that, I would miss him.

To all,

I appreciate all Brent and the staff of SG has done in providing forums for learning and discussion. I will also tip my hat to the non-hierarchal members who have been so incredibly helpful.

Genius is often tainted by malice. It is time to appreciate the beauty of the painting. Stand back and look beyond the brush strokes.

Take care,
    david
    blessed be................

This is NOT a bash Brent thread. Please, avoid doing so.

Extremely well said David. And I agree. Brent's downfall is he fell to levels equal to, or below, the people he was supposed to be Moderating/Administrating. That's one thing (of the many) I have learned about supervising people is that you must always, always remain a step above them. Brent joined in the fun and eventually became a member rather than an administrator.

It was interesting, yet sad, to watch his downfall over the last year. I still consider myself a fairly new person here (little over a year) and I'm far from being part of the huge clique that exists here. This is a very interesting group of people here at SpeedGuide. I don't hang out at many forums, but SG is by far my favorite and most entertaining.
    We Remember...
    9|11
    40 miles SW of Mt. St. Helens

The Earth's Companion Freezing Moon's Avatar
    Orbiting the Earth Number of moons frozen: 6
    David, I think I am missing your point... maybe my mind is too clouded by other things...
    At one with fear / Careless if you fall
    Beneath the earth / Your heart may feel the call
    Can't let your mind be tainted / By the praying men
    Divinity burns in thunder / Over again
    My Dying Bride - A Cruel Taste Of Winter

Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your sig and help me take over the world.

Re: An open letter to Bouncer, John and Ken.

Originally posted by Deus ex Machina

It is time to appreciate the beauty of the painting. Stand back and look beyond the brush strokes.
    Thanks David. I think I will.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

David, I feel awkward in replying to this for some reason but I feel as if it has to be said. It must be said.

Brent did not have a mentor here at Speedguide.

Without a mentor he was left without a clear path to follow.

Who did Brent have to turn to in a leadership position when times got tough for him? And who stepped up to the plate to offer that leadership?

The answer is no one did. We were all too lazy and caught up in the drama that became SG.

So I'm here to say that I share in Brent's failure. I failed to do the right thing.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Re: An open letter to Bouncer, John and Ken.

I was very touched by this post from Bouncer.

I have met with many people in the my twenty plus years as a computer hobbiest. These machines generate the kind of enthusiasm for intellect unequaled. It is also true that personalities are some of the most backward and coarse as well.

Brent had stooped to levels below the "children". I will not go on a rant. Personality conflicts will always occur. Maturity is tested in how you handle them. We all fail at time, but we must recognise the problem and make efforts to correct. Brent has not. Pity, Brent is an intelligent and interesting guy to converse with on other subjects. For that, I would miss him.

To all,

I appreciate all Brent and the staff of SG has done in providing forums for learning and discussion. I will also tip my hat to the non-hierarchal members who have been so incredibly helpful.

Genius is often tainted by malice. It is time to appreciate the beauty of the painting. Stand back and look beyond the brush strokes.

Take care,
    david [/B]

I agree, very well said.

Originally posted by uod2001
    David, I feel awkward in replying to this for some reason but I feel as if it has to be said. It must be said.

Brent did not have a mentor here at Speedguide.

Without a mentor he was left without a clear path to follow.

Who did Brent have to turn to in a leadership position when times got tough for him? And who stepped up to the plate to offer that leadership?

The answer is no one did. We were all too lazy and caught up in the drama that became SG.

So I'm here to say that I share in Brent's failure. I failed to do the right thing.
    Evan,

We do not need mentors in our lives when we know how learn from criticism and examples. Through introspection, we can all have our vision expanded.

david

Evan,

We do not need mentors in our lives when we know how learn from criticism and examples. Through introspection, we can all have our vision expanded.

david
    I'm not speaking of error correction, I'm speaking of "learning".

Everyone has mentors, it could be your mom or dad, or a close friend. sometimes it is a teacher or professor.

The mentoring that Brent required were in social skills.

Anywho...I do hear every word of yours and do take it to heart. Hopefully this will never have to happen again.

Have a good Turkey Day David!!!

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

umm, not to get off the point here, but half the replies have disappeared mysteriously.

Every time I pop into Speedguide these days you all seem to be having a group hug.

Is this some form of strange male bonding exercise?
    If the milks sour, I aint the kind of ***** to drink it.

Computers:

To fooking many, I need to get out more

Originally posted by mikemean
    umm, not to get off the point here, but half the replies have disappeared mysteriously.
    they have?

Somewhere drinking like its going out of style.
    Actually, I have just returned to speedguide* when all of this had gotten started. Or maybe it was a little later, dunno. So I had not seen the events leading up to this.

Now of course I can put two and two together, and I have, but yet still have no opinion. Brent did help tons of people out, and for that he will be missed. Other then that, there is nothing I can say or do that would change anything. Also really no point in adding anything as well. He will be missed, and more then a few newbies as well as advanced computer users will be hurtin for help in his absence.

Dues, per normal, your post rocks.

Doh forgot this...

*Returned not because I left mad or anything. My work would not let us surf. So I just read books. Now we can surf again.

Blog Entries
    Hi Deus ex Machina

Well stated David.

regards

minir