Thread: 2k or xp?

2k or xp?

i decided to format my dads comp. but dunno what to install.. either 2k or xp, but this comp is strictly for business, nothing else. What should be better on the long run? Oh and he uses a lot of designing programs, ya guys think they will work? (adobe proggys basically)
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"Weapons of Ass Destruction"

Re: 2k or xp?

Originally posted by vegeto
    i decided to format my dads comp. but dunno what to install.. either 2k or xp, but this comp is strictly for business, nothing else. What should be better on the long run? Oh and he uses a lot of designing programs, ya guys think they will work? (adobe proggys basically)
    if its for business only i would say 2K, if its for both I would say XP, but since you said business I would go with 2K

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband
    vegeto,

2K all the way. I run tons of apps at once, and XP cant handle it. 2k swallows it and says more!
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB

if its for business only then definately go with 2k
    Windows has not yet detected a keyboard. Press any key to continue.

If it's for buisness, then why don't you go Linux? More stable than 2K, and can do everything you want. And more.

(Don't get me started on XP. God that OS sucks.)

Re: 2k or xp?

Originally posted by vegeto

For now i would have to say win2k. Because it has better compatability and all. Xp just looks pretty, its based on win2k so there is no point in getting xp for now. I can get you hooked up any os you need.

Win2K all the way.
    The NastySasky:
    Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz| eVGA X58 SLI | 12gigs Dominator XMS3 1600 | 2 ASUS ENGTX 470's | Intel X25 120Gig SSD + 2 WD Black 500's | Pioneer DVD/RW | LG Blu-Ray Writer | Antec 1000Watt | WarMachine M1 Case

Linux is problably my choice, but Windows 2k will do just fine.
    Live to chase your dream...

Originally posted by HalfLifer
    vegeto,

2K all the way. I run tons of apps at once, and XP cant handle it. 2k swallows it and says more!
    XP can't handle it? dude my sys specs are almost identical to yours and mine runs fine with XP with many many programs running

If its only for business.. yes 2k

but boy do i love xp
    Originally posted by UnitedWeStand Don't go walking up to her and say "I just had a vasectomy wanna celebrate?
    Originally posted by EvilAngel Actually Kitten just got the sonagram done and the doc thought it was twins at first, but soon realized that it was the boys pen1s laying next to him....lol
    Said by XSeanX on AIM I wish girls were a lot easier
    Originally posted by Needlefreak May the fleas of a thousand taliban camels feast happily on your lower region..
    Originally posted by Jim Heart attack on a bun?

XP can handle (IMO) anything 2k throws at it, its built on the same core, although I know some people might bring up 98SE compared to ME, and we dont wanna go there...I like XP, other than simple driver issues from the OS being so new, I have not had a single crash, it handles memory perfectly (as all NT OS's) and is a friendly OS. I HATE the fairy bubbly theme it comes with though, I switch it back to classic of course

Originally posted by HalfLifer
    vegeto,

sounds liek a girl i know lmao

for business keep 2k on there veggie boy!

I have been running Windows 2000 since it's release and have never had a single issue running any program or any game.....and I run TONS of both. I recently dual booted over to Windows XP and have been using that exclusively for the last 3 weeks with all the same programs as I was running under Windows 2000, including Adobe applications (Photoshop, Illustrator, PageMaker, InDesign, Premiere).

Some people have mentioned using Linux (Paft and Eugene4Pres). Remember guys, this is for business and won't even come close to offering the same functionality for ease of use, not to mention the total lack of commercial business applications that the vast majority of the business community has used for years (ie Microsoft Office). He also said his dad uses design programs....good luck trying to find something to run under Linux that already exists and is readily available for the Windows families of OS's.

Linux has it's place in the computing world, but not as an OS for the average home or business user. Keep in mind that when your giving advise to folks about what OS to use, you have to think of the person using it and what they want to do with it. I mean would you suggest running Linux to your mom who knows nothing about computers? Not unless you want to be 24 hour technical support and hand hold them through an OS that is still far from user friendly for the average user. I use Linux at home along with Windows 98, 2000, XP and Macintosh and use UNIX as part of my job and they all have their place.

Just my .02 cents and some things to keep in mind

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice
    I've installed winXP over 15 times. I wish I was making that up, but I'm not. I've switched from win2k to winxp twice or three times, I'm not sure which. I'm running winxp right now, but that's only because I wont have time for a couple of days to reinstall win2k. Winxp is unpredictable and I really dont like it. Win2k always runs the same, never slower or faster. Somedays winxp runs great, then other days it's not exactly unstable... but it just doesnt run right.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms