Thread: SCSI recognition in XP setup?

Question SCSI recognition in XP setup?

Never-ending, I tell you.

Got my computer back from the shop, everything seems to work fine.

Hardware was switched around a bit, now the CDROM and CDRW are sharing a channel, and are on the HighPoint controller.

When I try to install XP from disk to the D drive, I hit F6 in the beginning of setup to load third party hardware drivers/SCSI drivers. Pretty sure the guy in the shop said that the HighPoint either is SCSI or shows up as SCSI.

I have the ABIT BE6, so on floppy I have the HPT366 update for NT (have been told it works fine for this board and XP). XP reads the floppy and responds "File textsetup.oem not found."

Then I get an error message when I continue installation, "Setup can not find CDROM drive. If it's a SCSI CDROM, make sure you SCSI devices are properly terminated."

Do I need to load other drivers for the CDROMS, or boot from a boot disk instead of from CDROM, or what? All the IDE drivers have been updated too.

Thanks

Anyone?

I tried using a 98SE startup floppy too, assuming it would load the CDROM drivers from that, but got the same error message, then, "No CDROM found."

It sounds like the shop messed something up right? cuz it didn't do that before.....and if they supposedly "fixed" your other problem, only to have these new problems arise....that doesn't sound like they really fixed anything.

Originally posted by drdoug99
    It sounds like the shop messed something up right? cuz it didn't do that before.....and if they supposedly "fixed" your other problem, only to have these new problems arise....that doesn't sound like they really fixed anything.
    No, they switched devices around. I don't know enough about hardware to know what the HighPoint controller really does, but they took the second HDD (which had been freezing the system for weeks) off the HighPoint controller and put the CDROM and CDRW on it. Everything works fine, and nothing is freezing up on the D drive the way it had.

The problem doesn't arise until I try to install XP. For whatever reason, the setup program doesn't recognize the CDROMS, even though they work fine in 98SE.

How do I get the setup program to recognize the CDROMS's?

This is what it says to do in the HighPoint readme:

O V E R V I E W :
    ###################################################################################
    There are 5 files related to the HPT370/372 Device Driver for Microsoft
    Windows XP Final Release:

1. HPT3XX.INF The Windows XP installation file
    2. RCM.INF The RCM device installation file
    2. READMEXP.TXT This file
    3. HPT3XX.SYS The driver file
    4. TXTSETUP.OEM The Windows XP Installation file
    5. DISK1 A flag of device driver which is required during Windows
    XP installation

I N S T A L L I N G T H E D R I V E R (During a fresh WinXP installation)
    ###################################################################################
    Note: Follow the standard procedures for setting up WinXP installation.

1. During the first part of the setup procedure, WinXP will prompt you to
    press "F6" to specify an additional device. Press "F6", and let Windows
    continue on with setup. It will continue to scroll through various
    device listings for several minutes, then prompt you to press the "S"
    key to add a device.

2. Press "S", and insert the HPT370/372 driver diskette. Press "Enter" when
    prompted and allow WinXP to install the HPT370/372 drivers.

3. WinXP will continue and complete the installation procedure.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Each time I have it check the floppy, it responds, "Can't find Txtsetup.oem" but if I double-check in Windows Explorer then the file is right there. WTF?

Your controller might show up as SCSI, but your cdrom is an IDE device.

Originally posted by downhill
    Your controller might show up as SCSI, but your cdrom is an IDE device.
    OK, but if the IDE CDROM's are on the HighPoint controller, then don't I need to install the drivers for that for the IDE ROMS to work?

Drivers

Is this your controller Humboldt, if so there are drivers for XP.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370drivers_down.htm

Re: Drivers

Originally posted by Forgetful
    Is this your controller Humboldt, if so there are drivers for XP.

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/370drivers_down.htm
    I've been trying the drivers for NT instead of 2K, as they're the only ones I see for the HPT366. I'll give those a try now though. Thanks for the tip.

When I try to install the other one though, it doesn't say wrong drivers or anything like that, just that it can't find the damn txtsetup.oem (although I can look at the floppy in Windows Explorer and the file is right there).
    Last edited by Humboldt; 11-22-01 at 04:10 PM.

Just had a look at your motherboard on the Abit site Humboldt. It's definitey not a scsi controller but a built in IDE device. If you want to try something can i suggest putting each device, you have 2 hard drives and 2 cdroms?, on a seperate channel then set all in the bios to auto. Set all drives to master. It might not be the best way but at least you can see if it works. Make a note of the current cable connections so you can restore if necessary. Hope this is some help.

Thanks for the reply Forgetful.

The guys at the shop where I get work done said that although the HighPoint controller isn't a SCSI, it will show up under SCSI in the Device Manager. I don't know much about it other then what they've said, so I've been going by that.

Yes, 2 HDD's , CDROM and CDRW. Right now only the 2 CDROMS are sharing a channel, I think the shop guys set it up that way in case I ever expand the system more.

I'm pretty much stuck with how things are now, as I don't have any hardware knowledge and am not about to try switching things around on this system. I'd rather learn on a beater system that isn't my only working computer.

I really don't understand this at all. All the drives work fine under 98SE. The problem is just that when I'm in setup trying to install XP, it doens't recognize the CDROMS and can't continue with the installation. When I get the message about third party SCSI or RAID drivers, I've tried several different drivers for my ABIT BE6, and always get the same error message that it can't find the txtsetup.oem.

I understand your reluctance to adjust things you aren't comfortable with. I have no experience of the Highpoint controller but from what you describe, that it's ok on 98, then it seems a driver problem on XP. Another way would be to set one hard disk as a master and the other as the slave on one of the non-highpoint channels, then do the same with the Cd's on the other non-highpoint channel. I remember my friend having a problem getting his ABIT controller working so i'll quiz him tomorrow and let you know if i found out anything.

That would be great, thanks. I talked to someone with the exact same motherboard and he said his system booted XP fine.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    The High Point controller will be recognized as a SCSI device in Device Manager.

The install of XP won't see the cd-rom's because they are on the High Point controller. In order for it to install properly the cd-rom has to be on the primary IDE channel (channel 0) as a master. The install won't even work right if the cd-rom is on the secondary IDE channel (channel 1) much less the third channel (channel 2) or fourth (channel 3) which it is on now. I tried to tell you how to set it up already in your other post simular to this.

Channel 0 = cd-rom as master
    Channel 1 = cd-rom as master

High Point controller:
    Channel 2 = hard drive as master
    Channel 3 = hard drive as master

I tried to not be rude before, but find another computer tech, this one has his head up his ass. Any tech that would put you cd-roms as master/slave on the fast channels and your hard drives on the slow channels, doesn't know how to configure a computer properly.

Cd-roms are ata-33 devices and need to be on channels 0 and 1 in your case.

Newer hard drives are ata-66 and ata-100 and need to be on the High Point controller (ata-66) for the best performance.

That is my server, the hard drives are both masters on IDE channels 2 and 3 on the High Point controller.

The cd-rom is a master on IDE channel 0.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Hi RoundEye, thanks again for the tips. I'll have to wait for this term to end and start messing with it then, unless you can give me a link to a hardware-for-idiots site. When I look in there it just scares the sh*t out of me because I have no clue what's what and how to do anything.

Everything you said makes sense. I brought it back to that place because they're the ones who built it, and they're the ones who installed my second HDD. I had 2 problems going last week. Not only would XP not recognize the second HDD, but whenever I tried to access any files on it it would freeze the system. It would act fine in the shop, then freeze here again, so they switched some hardware around to try to bypass that I guess.

I had no clue that different channels had different capacities (in reference to your saying XP will only boot from the Primary channel as Master).

So the channels on the HighPoint controller are faster then the normal IDE channels?

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Originally posted by Humboldt
    .......I had no clue that different channels had different capacities (in reference to your saying XP will only boot from the Primary channel as Master).

So the channels on the HighPoint controller are faster then the normal IDE channels?.......
    Yes.
    In your board the IDE channels 0 and 1 are ata-33. This means that it has a throughput of 33 megabits per second(or megabytes, I forget )

The High Point controller (IDE channels 2 and 3) has a throughput of 66 Megabits per second. So it's twice as fast as channels 0 and 1.

The cd-roms are ata-33 (33 megabit per second devices) so they should go on channels 0 and 1.

The hard drives are ata-66 (or ata-100) so they should go on the High Point controller which is ata-66.

This way the output of the cd-rom and hard drive will match the IDE channel that it is plugged in to. This is where you will get your best performance. The IDE channel will let the hard drive operate at it's maximum speed.

If you plug the hard drive into the slower channel, it will only be capable of ata-33 because thats as high as the channel will go. So the hard drive will only be operating at half of it's rated spec.

Newer hard drives are ata-100 and ata-133. As you know the computer world is always trying to improve speeds of all hardware.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................