Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New HD

New HD

Help with this one:
    My hard drive has bad sectors that keep corrupting Windows. Maxtor will replace it, but how do I transfer my usable files over to the new HD?
    The "bad" HD is my C, D, and E drives. When I install a new drive I anticipate making it the Master and the bad one the Slave, then formatting the new one to be C, D, and E and loading the OS onto it. Can I then access the old drive and copy my data files to the new drive? Will the OS recognize the old drive as F, G, and H?
    _ _______________________ _
    Dell 420 quad core @ 2.4 GHz
    3 Gig DDR 2
    2 500 GB drives in Raid 0 configuration
    ATI Radeon HD 3650 Graphics

Advanced Member NuclearHeadache's Avatar

Re: New HD

Originally posted by VIKTOR2020
    Help with this one:
    My hard drive has bad sectors that keep corrupting Windows. Maxtor will replace it, but how do I transfer my usable files over to the new HD?
    The "bad" HD is my C, D, and E drives. When I install a new drive I anticipate making it the Master and the bad one the Slave, then formatting the new one to be C, D, and E and loading the OS onto it. Can I then access the old drive and copy my data files to the new drive? Will the OS recognize the old drive as F, G, and H?
    If the HDD is installed after any other drives it will take any letter after those drives. Example: If your first HDD was C and your CD Rom was D, then you got another HDD, that second HDD would be E. You can always change the assigned letters through windows though.
    Now about transfering files from one drive to the next. How exactly did you get bad sectors? Transfering may cause damage to the new drive if you're not careful.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Western Digital
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Isaiah 2:10

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

I don't know how. I've had intermittent boot problems since I built this computer in March of this year. When I loaded XP, the problems only got worse. XP, however, kept diagnosing the problem as Unknown Hard Error, and Microsoft tech support told me it was a HD, Cache, or motherboard issue. The local tech where I bought the stuff diagnosed it as bad HD sectors.
    I don't believe it's a result of a virus as I've scanned it regularly with the most recent definitions. My plan is to transfer data only, resintalling apps and system.
    Any hazard you can forsee?
    Thanks for the directions you gave.

Microsoft tech support told me it was a HD, Cache, or motherboard issue.
    That's rich. Pretty much narrows it down don't you think? I hate tech support period.
    If you're possitive that there's no viruses on the HDD then transfer what you need, then, boot into DOS, use a Win 98 boot disk or some other means. Go to your C: promt and type scandisk.exe (I think that's the command if it's not type help and there you can get a list of commands for Dos) Scandisk.exe will scan the HDD for errors. Make sure you do a thorough scan of the drive. This will notify you of any errors and will offer to repair them. Now the larger the HDD the longer a thorough scan will take. This could even allow you to still use the drive depending on the condition of the platters.
    I had bought a Maxtor 60 7200 just 1 month ago and I had a similar problem. Maxtor replaced the drive without question. When I installed the replacement drive I got the same problems. It wasn't the HDD it was the onboard Raid on my motherboard that caused the problems.
    Here's something you might find interesting.... 35% of Maxtor HDD turn out to be defective. But when you get a Maxtor that isn't defective it really flies
    Also, make it a habit to defrag your HDD every so often especially if you do a lot of downloading and file transfering. I defrag once a month.

PS: You probably know this already but don't transfer any OS files.
    Good luck Vik
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    431 watt Enermax power supply (whisper series, but with 2 fans on this power supply it's still loud as a mofo)
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Go into the rocks, hide in the ground from dread of the LORD and the splendor of his majesty!

Thanks for the procedure. I see XP running a HD check each time I boot up because it keeps finding errors on the disk. It says it needs to check the HD for consistency, then finds lost chains and makes files out of them. This impresses me as similar to Scandisk from Win 98.

Use a CDR to save documents , and other files .

Or , wen the new drive arives , set it as master , and this one as Slave.

Install the OS normaly , do your file transfers ,and then give it back .

D***!!!
    The new HD from Maxtor arrived today (their 2-day replacement took 6 days) and XP can't complete its installation without encountering fatal errors. This is a factory fresh HD. I only partitioned and formatted it. No garbage from the past on it.
    Can it be the RAID controller that's corrupting system files on the HD?
    I'm down to motherboard and CPU as sources of the problem.

What kind of motherboard do you have and how many IDE slots do you have? If you have 4 slots and your HDD's connected to the primary ATA 100 slot try connecting the HDD to a regular IDE slot and dissable Raid on your motherboard.
    If you have 2 IDE slots just dissable Raid.
    Some motherboards with onboard Raid have a reputation to kill HDD. My A7V133 with onboard Raid destroyed my Maxtor 60 gig. When Maxtor replaced it I installed it to the same IDE slot as the previous one and noticed errors. I removed it before any further damage could occure.
    I have my 2 HDD on my primary IDE slot and my CD Rom and Burner on the secondary IDE slot. I'm not gonna touch the ATA100 slots ever again.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

It's KT7A RAID, I have 4 IDE slots: Two Cd ROMs on IDE 1 and IDE 2, and the HD on the RAID ATA 100 slot. I deliberately bought a HD that was ATA 100 and a motherboard that supports it. Is there any other way to make it work than sacrificing the ATA 100 support by putting the HD on the channel 1 or 2 IDE?
    3 Gig DDR 2

Why do you have 2 CD Roms? 4 IDE slots just like me. I don't know of any other way but if you wanna save you HDD stay away from those HDD killers. Your motherboard was probably cheap in price but it was cheap for a reason. I know some people that lucked out with onboard Raid but the majority haven't.
    Trust me on this one, STAY AWAY from those controlers or at least until you find a sure fire solution.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

One CD ROM is a burner.
    I didn't really buy the board because of its price but because so many people on this board thought it was an excellent one.

One CD ROM is a burner.
    I didn't really buy the board because of its price but because so many people on this board thought it was an excellent one.
    Try this site
    Here you can find forums for many mobos.
    And next time you want an oppinion on something ask someone who has actually used that hardware. Don' listen to reviews.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Angry

As I said, I bought it not from reading reviews, but from advice by people on this board who have used it.

As I said, I bought it not from reading reviews, but from advice by people on this board who have used it.
    Why do I waste my time.
    THEN BRING IT BACK AND SAY "I'M BRINGING THIS MOTHERBOARD BACK BECAUSE THE PEOPLE ON SPEEDGUIDE SAID IT WAS GOOD AND IT'S NOT"
    When someone gives you advice, any advice, you should be thankful.
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720

Nuke

Now you have had the joys of experiencing a newb heheh

Victor, the board is quite good and everyone here at SG was right. It just that either you've gotten a defective board, which should be RMAed asap or you've been fiddling around with it incorrectly.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

OK, the place where I bought the board agreed to take it back. They couldn't get it to work with XP either. I'm going to trade it for an ASUS board. What do you all think of the A7A266 with DDR or SDR?
    3 Gig DDR 2

Too new to tell if you ask me
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHZ
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    256MB PC2100 Crucial DDR
    60 GIG 7200 RPM Maxtor
    32 MB Nvidia TV Out
    Creative SB Live Value
    Using WIndows XP Pro

Screw

the ALi magik chipset, if you looking for performance out of that, look else where. The only thing that I've heard that is good about it is stability and maybe a bit of ocing. Other then that, it's memory bandwidth can be matched by my KT7A. Consider the Abit KG7
    Asus P5N-D
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Antec NSK4480B

HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22

Is ABIT KG7 superior at speed? How about stability? I've endured problems with my KT7A since March and feel gun shy of ABIT in general.

Look other then telling you that you got a defective board, there is nothing else I can tell you.

Abit is the ocers and performance tweakers company when it comes down to things. If you don't feel comfortable using it, go to Asus. They aren't a bad company, just sometimes not as tweakable.
    Asus P5N-D
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Antec NSK4480B