Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Michigander SG "Meeting of the Minds"

bump

Hey everyone, I haven't forgotten! I've been real busy with work and home lately, the cafe is right down the street from my work. I'll try to make time next week to see what they have to offer and what the schedule looks like for next year, February seems like a good target. I hope to have the info before Christmas, take care!

BMED

Thanks for the update BMED

Still hoping I'll be able to make it. [Dorothy mode] There's no place like Michigan, there's no place like Michigan [/Dorothy mode]

bump....i'm still in for this~

I am still hoping to go. Only if I can find a really cheap plane ticket.

Thumbs up

Febuary bump

Originally posted by HalfLifer
    Yea, I would really sound stupid saying Im gonna meet people from a website.
    LOL...that's what I told my mom.

"I'm leaving sometime in the future to meet some people from that website I'm always talking on."

"OK, that's fine by me, as long as your out of my house for a few hours, so I can finally have some peace and quiet!!!"

LOL

- Mid Febuary bump again....hopefully I'm not annoying you guys, always bumping this up. I'm sure you guys have work and other things to concentrate on, unlike me, lol.

Originally posted by drdoug99

- Mid Febuary bump again....hopefully I'm not annoying you guys, always bumping this up. I'm sure you guys have work and other things to concentrate on, unlike me, lol.
    Hey doug,

Your "bumps" do not go by unnoticed. There were many good suggestions during the birth of this meeting idea that will happen one day soon!

Lately I haven't been able to plan for such an event, due to uncontrollable circumstances surrounding my life over the past few months. My wife had become very ill to the point where I had to take "Family Leave" in order to care for her. As of today she has made a fair recovery, another month or so and she'll be back to somewhat normal health. Until I have everything under control around here, I will have limited resources to work with.

I know some other Michiganders like Noevo and Andrea had offered any assistance in the beginning, I guess it's time to ask! Maybe we can look towards a "Spring" meeting, somewhere around March/April.......I guess we need to get our plans together and make a specific date for this event.

Keeping the meeting place in downtown Detroit would be the best for everyone, easy access and there are many other things to do after the event. I'll call the "Hockey Town Cafe" this week and see exactly what we need to plan for about 20-25 people. After we have that info, we can plan accordingly.

Sorry that I haven't been able to provide more information sooner, it hasn't gone unforgotten! We will have this meeting if I have to have it right here in my home, it'll be a tight squeeze but we'll deal with it!

Anyway, look forward to some more info this week, I'll do my best to get things rolling again!

BMED

PS, Being off of work for the past month has kept me busy caring for the Mrs., but has made me lazy otherwise! Thanks for bumping me off my behind and getting me back on track, it's well appreciated.

How much money would I need while being there (excluding plane ticket)? I still can't gaurantee it, but I'll try to make it. I just need a cheap plane ticket.

Bump for BMED. Just wanted to let you know that Andrea and I are still willing to help out

I say we try shooting for a late March-ish date.

Thumbs up A date has been established........

O.K. all you peeps from Michigan and surrounding States, Countries, and Continents, a date has been established.

When: March 30th @ 1:00pm (tentative time)
    Where: Detroit, Hockey Town Cafe.

We need to meet kind of early that day due to a Red Wings home game at 7:30pm; the place fills up in the early afternoon. How does 1:00pm sound?

We also need to find out exactly how many of you can make it, then all the specific reservations can be made. The Lunch Buffets are about $20 a head, excluding drinks of course!

I've asked Noevo and Andrea for assistance and advice with preparations for this event, if anyone else would like to contribute, please don't hesitate to jump right in! (2) Donated Speedguide T-shirts for a raffle would be cool too.....hint-hint

Well enough time has passed since this idea was first introduced, let's get together and have a great time! Bring whom ever you want, spouse, sibling, friend or foe, just let me know how many. I would like to have all reservation in by March 15th, even earlier if possible.

Since my @home/comcast e-mail transition is tomorrow, I'll be using my bmed_1@hotmail.com account for your R.S.V.P. ......hurry and get them in!

Thanks to everyone for being so patient with the scheduling, hopefully we can make this an annual event. Thank you Rob and Andrea in advance, for your offering to help. (I'll be in touch)

Take care, BMED

R.S.V.P. via bmed_1@hotmail.com

I still don't know if I can make it. I must be searching wrong, but I have searched for plane tickets for this gig and for EA's wedding and I always find they are around $400.

Hockeytown Café
    2301 Woodward Ave.
    Detroit, MI 48201
    (313) 965-9500

DIRECTIONS TO THE SECOND CITY AND HOCKEYTOWN CAFÉ

FROM THE SOUTH (LINCOLN PARK, TOLEDO, WYANDOTTE)
    Follow I-75 North (Fisher Freeway) to the Grand River Avenue exit. Proceed on the Fisher Freeway Service Drive across Grand River Avenue. We are located on the corner of the Service Drive and Woodward Ave.

FROM THE NORTH (AUBURN HILLS, CLARKSTON, TROY)
    Follow I-75 South (Chrysler Freeway) to the Grand River Avenue exit. After exiting, stay to the left-hand side to the turn around which will take you to the North bound Fisher Freeway Service Drive. We are located on the corner of the Service Drive and Woodward Avenue.

FROM THE EAST (GROSSE POINTE, ROSEVILLE, ST. CLAIR SHORES)
    Following I-94 West to I-75 South. Follow I-75 south to the Grand River Avenue exit. After exiting stay to the left-hand side to turn around which will take you to the North bound Fisher Freeway Service Drive. We are located on the corner of the Service Drive and Woodward Avenue.

FROM THE WEST (ANN ARBOR, INKSTER, WESTLAND)
    Follow I-96 East to I-75 North to the Grand River Avenue exit. Proceed on the Fisher Freeway Service Drive across Grand River. We are located on the corner of the Service Drive and Woodward Avenue.
    OR
    Follow I-94 east to the Lodge Freeway south to the Grand River Avenue exit. Turn left at the light and you will proceed on Grand River to the Fisher Freeway Service Drive. Turn left at the Service Drive. We are located on the corner of the Service Drive and Woodward Avenue.

Originally posted by mikemean
    I still don't know if I can make it. I must be searching wrong, but I have searched for plane tickets for this gig and for EA's wedding and I always find they are around $400.
    What about Amtrak, much cheaper! You just have to allow more travel time, but you need a break anyway!.....right?

BMED find me a decent priced place to stay and I will be there...

need to talk to my parents about flight and all, but it should not be a prob...

Originally posted by BaLa
    BMED find me a decent priced place to stay and I will be there...

need to talk to my parents about flight and all, but it should not be a prob...
    I live right off a major freeway (I-75), south of Detroit. There are three places to stay within walking distance from me.

1) Best Western ( with Restaurant/Bar/Pool....etc.)

2) Holiay Inn Express (New)

3) Knights Inn (cheapest price)

all are located in Woodhaven, Michigan

Anyone else with some suggestions, just jump on in!

how far is the hockey town place from one of those hotels...

Originally posted by BMED

What about Amtrak, much cheaper! You just have to allow more travel time, but you need a break anyway!.....right?
    $423 I must not be searching right or not know what the hell I am doing. I'll try again.

Originally posted by BaLa
    how far is the hockey town place from one of those hotels...
    About 25 miles, but don't worry about getting there......we'll make sure you have a ride.

How long do you plan on staying? The weekend?

You could stay in Downtown Detroit, but I don't recommend it!