Thread: Keep up with Windows 9x updates

Keep up with Windows 9x updates

Not everyone has the bucks to switch over to 2000/XP/ME and some of us are still using the 9x platform. Since this information is broad in scope, I figured I'd post it here for the members that don't peruse the Software Forum.

Keeping your Windows 9x operating system and Internet Explorer browser running at top performance requires staying informed about new versions, updates, and patches. Here is a concise list of Microsoft URLs to use when checking for updates for Windows 9x and Internet Explorer.

The majority of Windows 9x updates are security patches. Predictably, with the release of newer versions of Windows, fewer patches have been released this year than last. Still, if you work in an environment where security is key, or you need to reinstall Windows 9x, the pages below will save you from searching the knowledge base for a particular fix.

The Microsoft site for Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition contains critical and recommended updates. Most are simple .exe files that could be run from scripts.

http://microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp

A similar list for Windows 95 includes the AMD-K6-2/350 timing loop fix, the Windows 95 Power Toys download (for Win 95 OSR2), and the IrDA 2.0 driver for setting up Infra Red devices.

http://microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/

Internet Explorer's list includes both a Critical and Recommended section. In addition, a further page lists fixes for older versions.

©TechRepublic.

Even though I don't use Windows9x and I'm on Windows XP instead of that stoneaged operating system... I will thank you for the wonderful updates

I remember my Windows9x days and I know how important it is to keep it updated. Thanks bro (by the way... I'm going to eat another sandwich )
    <sarcastic>um... yeah</sarcastic>

Wanna get pwned?

Quote Originally Posted by raromoney View Post
    Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

EvilAjax unbanned, reinforces stereotypes with gunplay braggadocio...

Originally posted by EvilAjax
    Even though I don't use Windows9x and I'm on Windows XP instead of that stoneaged operating system... I will thank you for the wonderful updates

I remember my Windows9x days and I know how important it is to keep it updated. Thanks bro (by the way... I'm going to eat another sandwich )
    Go ahead, eat your sandwich, brothaman. Get down with your bad hoagie self. I have tasty, delicious donuts with my coffee this morning, so HA!

Blog Entries

Cool

Hi ghost

Thanks for the sites.

I use 98SE as well. I have 2K Pro, but i am more comfortable with 98. Works great for me.

Anyway i was not aware of the 95 site. My Niece runs it so i passed it on.

Much appreciated

regards

minir

SG Elite

Thumbs up

bumpage and thanks.

Originally posted by CableDude
    bumpage and thanks.
    You're welcome, and a final bump, just for evening members, then it's on to thread oblivion.