Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATA-133, take it or leave it

Post ATA-133, take it or leave it

A Look at Maxtor's D740X, and ATA-133 Nov 08, 2001, 07:00 AM
    Conclusion
    By: Dan Mepham

In the last three years, we’ve progressed from the ATA-33 standard, to ATA-66, and now ATA-100. When ATA-33 (UDMA Mode 2) was introduced, there was little doubt that it would prove to be a performance-enhancing step. However when ATA-66, and most recently, ATA-100 arrived, many questioned their usefulness. With hard disks barely able to push the limits of ATA-33’s 33MB/s transfer capabilities, what was the use in moving to ATA-66 or 100? It would be like driving a Jalopy around a racetrack.

Naturally, when Maxtor offered us the chance to evaluate its latest 7,200 RPM hard drive, featuring the new ATA-133 interface, we jumped at the chance. The D740X is Maxtor’s first 7,200 RPM release since its acquisition of Quantum a few months ago, and we’re eager to discover just what, if anything, Quantum’s IDE expertise has been able to do for Maxtor’s IDE lineup.
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/cont...ticle/1431.12/
    it's about 6 full pages long..

the topic was borrowed from the last sentence in the conclusion..

<edit> damn, I quoted part of teh conclusion instead of intro DOH

Does the RPM of the drive have much to do with the data transfer? I noticed more SCSI drives go up to like 15,000 RPM's or more....why doens't IDE go up as high? 7200 is the highest I've seen for IDE....

Originally posted by drdoug99
    Does the RPM of the drive have much to do with the data transfer? I noticed more SCSI drives go up to like 15,000 RPM's or more....why doens't IDE go up as high? 7200 is the highest I've seen for IDE....
    i remember seeing a WD that was 10k, but it was pulled off the market real quick, dunno much about why they dont go higher i assume its heat issues

rpm i believe helps the seek time and sustained transfer rate but i'm unsure, just a guess

I think RPM helps improve, seek times and it might improve data transfer rates a bit..
    dunno..
    I have seen some 15k rpm SCSI drives, but really I dunno why the IDE Drives don't spin as fast..

It would be hard for me to get used to the thought of any piece of machinery running that fast all the time.

If it's standard on my next mobo purchase, then yes. I'll get myself an ATA-133 drive, if not then oh well.

We'll all be there. Its just a matter of time and money

Nop its not about money or time .
    We have all ready the RAID setups , the point is if you really need it or not .

I do not believe that for opening windows aplications , we need that speed .

Originally posted by syncmaster
    Nop its not about money or time .
    We have all ready the RAID setups , the point is if you really need it or not .

I do not believe that for opening windows aplications , we need that speed .
    lol MY WINDOWS LOADS IN 3 seconds.. but my games run dead slow... lmao

Originally posted by BaLa
    I think RPM helps improve, seek times and it might improve data transfer rates a bit..
    dunno..
    I have seen some 15k rpm SCSI drives, but really I dunno why the IDE Drives don't spin as fast..
    That´s the point: then only a few ppl would then buy a SCSI ... and not the cheaper/faster 15krpm and 8mb cache IDE drives!

-Thor
    1st rig:
    Abit NF7-S v2.0(!) nforce2 | AMD XP2500+ Barton @2.4Ghz 12*200mhz | TYAN Tachyon Radeon9500pro oc´ed | 2*256MB DDR400 cl2.5 TwinMos -winbond- @ DC DDR400 3-2-2-2.0 | 2*120 GB Seagate Barracuda V *8MB Cache* S-ATA in RAID0 *woooo*| Pioneer DVD-RW A-05 | LG 48x24x48x16 CD-RW-DVD Combo | win2k pro SP4 |

2nd Rig:
    Abit KD7 KT400 | XP2400+ @XP2700+ (333) | Geforce4 128MB TI4200 oc´ed | 512MB PC3000 Corsair XMS CL2 | 60 GB Seagate Barracuda IV | Seagate ST340823A 40GB 5.4krpm | Pioneer DVD-106S | det.52.16 | win2kpro SP4 |
    3rd Rig
    *** SOLD *** --> preparing to go AMD 64bit in far future after paying off my RX8

http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=340755603 NEW!!!!
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7717862
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2262168 NEW!!!!

Be evil and fold some unholy proteins... crunch a unit!
    How you can help us to fold!

Folding buddy with SeedOfChaos, as The Fallen Angels. 100% unholy AMD Power.

Originally posted by YARDofSTUF

lol MY WINDOWS LOADS IN 3 seconds.. but my games run dead slow... lmao
    With GAMES like 700 Megs , what you expect ?? hahahaha

Nothing is holding back IDE manufacturers from making drives with greater then 7,000 rpm, except greed....

the whole point to IDE was price, keep the price down as much as possible, the more drives they can make for cheaper, the more they sell, to increase rotational speed increases price, something they are trying to get down on ide drives.... that's it in a nutshell

increasing the rotational speed to say 10,000 rpm will give it a higher sustained rate and slightly faster access times.....
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice
    Whose greed though... the consumer or the company. I would lean more towards blaming the consumer on this issue.
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

Originally posted by onetrueday
    Whose greed though... the consumer or the company. I would lean more towards blaming the consumer on this issue.
    I do that all ready , for the Geforce 3 , for the DDR memorys, for XP windows , for the AMD madnes , and some more .

Advanced Member
    There is this one HD that boots Windows in like a second. It's not a SCSI interface though, something more advanced. Costs as much as a Lamborghini though. There are people who have servers with 15-way SCSI RAID which is much faster than the normal (0+1).

I can't wait for Solid State harddrives to become mainstream..(do they even make em yet?)

think about it...
    by that time it should be 200+ gigs
    SOLID STATE ....
    that would be hella fast but I guess by then it wont be special..
    cause you're gonna have like a 500x CD-ROM (lmao)
    30+ gig Procs
    400+ gigs HD Space
    3 gigs o' ram or more...
    damn can't wait..

I hope I'm still alive to see something like that..

Its the first time in the forums that i can not reply ,with a logical explanation ..
    BUMP!!

...and a 320mm fan running at 700,640 RPM making a 5.2dba sound level...... yes, that'll be the day.....

haha
    you forget, that if you were using solid state hard drives, it there would be a lot less heat..

I like the idea about going under sub zero temperatures....